Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Good Time in Town

Soda, you really should give them a listen--Steely Dan has some really good songs.

Here in Alabama we are partial to one of their songs called "Deacon Blues", which has a chorus that goes:

"They got a name for the winners in the world
    And I want a name when I lose
    They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
    Call me Deacon Blues"

I Google'd that song one day and got this explanation:

This Steely Dan song probably refers to The Wake Forest "Demon Deacons," whose football team had losing streaks during the 1977 (1-10) and 1978 seasons (1-10) which paralleled one of several of The University Of Alabama's extended winning streaks, including back-to-back National Championships during the 1978 and 1979 seasons under Coach Paul W. Bryant. Alabama is known as "The Crimson Tide." The University Of Alabama football team had been so successful during that period (1970-1979) that it was probably more newsworthy when they lost.

I think this clip is very promising, the most exciting clip so far, not just saying that because I'm a Joe fan.

Stuck on the Border

Soda, if you go to the Concerts thread in Cheap Talk you can read my review of their recent Sydney concert. Surely you know some of my Top 10 (yes, here I go again):

1. Pretzel Logic
    2. Reelin' In The Years
    3. Kid Charlemagne
    4. Black Friday
    5. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
    6. Do It Again
    7. Show Biz Kids (you have heard Glenn do that if you have Royal Oak)
    8. My Old School
    9. The Fez
    10. Deacon Blues (I'm still getting to know this. I am sure this is where Frey Jr's name came from. If you go to the Don Lane interview Glenn quotes the line 'this is the day of the expanding man' but he changes it to 'year').

Re Last Good Time In Town I don't know that it's that much like Steely Dan. I am still less sure about this one than the others.

And DF thank you for the Crimson Tide/Deacon Blues reference. I knew what Crimson Tide meant but I didn't understand how it then tied in with Deacon Blues.

The only one I know is the one Glenn did. I'll look them up based on the recs, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm totally about the new album. Sorry I just couldn't help it and I was watching HFO the other day and I totally crack up whenever I watch the part when Timothy says "are you pukin'?"
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

I'm with you there, SH!

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Steely Dan huh? I'm not familiar with their music (even though I know about the references to the Eagles in one of their songs and vice versa). Maybe I should look it up!
    Soda, you should give them a listen. Rikki Don't Lose That Number is a good one to start with. The Eagles quote comes in Everything You Did on The Royal Scam album: "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbours are listening."

DF, thanks for that explanation. I've always wondered what Deacon Blues was about. It may have inspired Glenn, and also has a band named after it, Deacon Blue.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Blue

I really like these clips so far. The other Eagles song that reminded me of Steely Dan was Those Shoes. I hadn't heard it until I got Complete Greatest Hits two years ago, and it took me by surprise to start with.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFan
    I think this clip is very promising, the most exciting clip so far, not just saying that because I'm a Joe fan.
    I agree. that little snippet has been stuck in my head since I first heard it.

I've been exposed to Steely Dan's music over the years since my dad loves them and listens to them all the time. I shouldn't really complain about him listening to them all the time cause I listen to the Eagles all the time.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I could listen to that song for hours. You just couldn't sit still. One of my top 3 songs.

Stuck on the Border

Now that I know LGTIT better, it is certainly reminiscent of Steely Dan. I like it, but it isn't amongst my real favourites.