Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The original lineup underrated?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The original lineup underrated?

Just to make sure in case someone got the wrong impression...

My intention with this thread was not to imply that one lineup was better than another. I tend to love the original lineup most, but I'm not saying that they were the best one. It's just that when I leave this forum, I tend to find myself in a "FelderFelderWalshWalsh" world. People (especially on YouTube) keep saying how Don F and Joe are/were the Eagles sound. Obviously they don't care about the fact (or maybe they don't know) that when they hear a cool Eagles tune on the radio, a lot of the time they don't hear Don F or Joe. In terms of guitars they often hear Frey and Leadon. Usually they even bash Glenn at the same time as they praise Don F and/or Joe. I guess from their perspective it's partly a cover version when they see Glenn and Don play TLHTM with Bernie and not Joe. Just doesn't have that Eagles sound.

It's a different thing with someone like Austin, who simply loves guitars and Don/Joe. He's aware of the original lineup and which songs they recorded, but prefers the Felder/Walsh team. Fair enough. Plus, as far as I know he doesn't go around shouting that there could never be an Eagles without them, although it probably wouldn't be Eagles to him.

Personally I love Don F and Joe. Even though I like to point out weird things in Don's book and interviews, I was sad when he was let go. My musical ear isn't subtle enough to miss him musically, but I miss his presence - seeing him there - very much.

(Toni )
    Last edited by chaim; 02-18-2015 at 05:17 AM.

I understand and I agree. I love all their line-ups. They each had something special about them; they produced high quality material in every incarnation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    However, I strongly disagree with the notion that the original Eagles ARE the Eagles and that Leadon and Meisner were irreplaceable. If either of these were true, I don't believe the band would have been able to maintain the level of success of their earlier years. Instead, they simply surpassed the previous accomplishments. Yes, they were a different band with the personnel changes, and it is understandable that some prefer one lineup over the other, but to deny that they weren't as successful is really going out on limb.
    Sorry, Dreamer, if that was the impression I gave, because that is not at all how I meant what I said. Of course, they were and are extremely successful as a band, and became even more so after Bernie and Randy left, and I, too, love their music from all the lineups and incarnations. I certainly never meant that they were not good or successful without Bernie or Randy. All I meant by saying that Bernie and Randy could not be 'replaced' was that whoever came into the band would be someone different, and the band would be different because of it, as they were, and as it should be. As I said I'm a big fan of both Joe and Tim, and they certainly are a big part of why the band has continued to be so successful over such a long period. No disrespect for anything they or the band has done at all. I just meant that for me personally, the original band is my favorite, and the early albums my favorite time period, and it is the original lineup who I naturally think of when I think about 'the Eagles', so it is in that sense that the original lineup ARE the Eagles to me, as they are the original band, and who I first knew and loved, and the time period that was so special to me. They just hold a special place for me.

But of course, the band continued to be great moving forward, and managed these transitions (and turmoil within the band) remarkably well, and even after a 28 year break between full-length studio albums, they managed to pull off the incredibly impressive feat of coming back with another stellar album when they returned with LROOE several years ago. Yes, they truly are an amazing band.

It's just that, like chaim, I think that, especially these days, the greatness and artistry of the original band is not as well-recognized or remembered, and not just as a 'more country' band. So yes, I think they definitely are underrated. But that doesn't take anything away from what the band has achieved or accomplished in the subsequent years.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well, personally I've always loved the original four playing rock songs, but so many people (including their producer) have said that they couldn't rock, so I must believe that there must be some truth in that.

I love how Bernie plays the Tryin' riff - the attack. I love the Out Of Control groove...
    Outlaw Man too: the guitar tone is wonderfully savage. I don't understand people saying they couldn't rock or that they were boring onstage. My impression is the exact opposite.

Soda, your Glenn avatar is mesmerizing me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your clarification, BBKron. I get where you are coming from better since you framed it liked that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016