Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden

Stuck on the Border

No, to me it's long Led Zeppelin and long Dire Straits. It is much more 'focused' than Pink Floyd. The guitar work is more dreamy in songs like Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Here it's urgent.

So the 'brisket and pecan pie' stuff is a Southern reference? Thanks for that. But then I don't know much about 'clover fields' and 'county fairs' either.

Yes, it's a Southern thing. It implies that all these fatcat members of the "Petroleum Club" are Southerners. I don't know why he chose to make such an unfair sweeping generalization. There are quite a few war profiteers who are Northern. Henley should know. He performed at a bat mizvah for one of them. All of his pay going to Walden Woods, of course.

I don't want to sound too harsh. I just grew up in Texas, so such things annoy me - especially when the perpetuator of the stereotype is himself a Texan. I do appreciate that Henley is well-intentioned in his social criticism. He is just doing what he believes is right. Often, he is effective and eloquent. Indeed, he is effective and eloquent in other parts of this very song. I just think that, in that Southern reference, he missed the mark somewhat.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I haven't formed a solid opinion on this one yet. There are parts I love and parts I don't. I think the point could have been made in less than ten minutes.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really like it. Not too crazy about the first part, but that's ok.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Finally listened to the record enough to give my opinions. I'll start with this one.

LROOE is WAY too long. Gets boring. Should've been edited down. Killer guitar solo though.

Stuck on the Border

The length is perfect for me. Perhaps it's because I am used to songs like Kashmir and Telegraph Road. I love how it rises and falls.

I was looking through my postcards and some nice person had sent me a card from Georgia with a pecan pie! So now I know!

(In Australia the words would be gimme another meat pie & tomato sauce').

Out on the Border eagleshenleyfan's Avatar

My favourite song on the album and one of my fav Eagles songs ever. The middle eastern influence adds an atmospheric touch. Don's vocals are superb as are Glenn's harmonies. The guitar solo is fantastic (Not sure if it's Steuart or Joe though?) Is it just me or is there a progressive element to the song?
    I would love to hear this live but due to the length will it happen? There's no way HC will be taken out of the set-list for this.

Default LROOE

The middle eastern thing kind of put me off when I first heard this song but the more I listen to it, the more I get why they used it. The comments about the juxtaposition of worlds made a lot of sense to me. I do agree the bbq brisket and pecan pie is a bit much though. That blistering guitar solo is just awesome, hope to hear this live but like most of you, I think it probably won't be included due to the length. I know it's been compared to HC, but I don't really see it that way at all. LROOE speaks to so many issues we are all grappling with and the music just builds and builds, taking us with it. This is one of those songs where the music evokes the feelings in your gut that are being given voice through the words.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

When I first learned that LROOE was over 10 minutes long, I thought, good grief, I don't want to listen to a song that long no matter how good it is. But after hearing this a few times, I changed my mind. I think the song is beautifully done. It doesn't seem 10 minutes long because the song is separated into 'segments' - almost like two or three 'mini songs'. I really love it. I think part of the point of the song is that it is too long - one of the most effective parts is how the repetitive, almost monotonous soldier drum march at the end goes on and on and on.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Long Road Out of Eden

I have to say after seeing this song performed live, I have a much more positive opinion of it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten