Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Randy playing acoustic guitar in concert w/ Eagles

Banned

Default Re: Randy playing acoustic guitar in concert w/ Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    What do you mean about not being the frontman? He is singing lead on every song!
    I'm talking about talking to the audience between the songs. Sure Randy sings all the songs but somebody else does the talking between the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    From some of your previous comments it is quite obvious you are not a big fan of Randy
    If I wasn't a big fan of Randy, I wouldn't be here

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy
    Try buying some legit solo albums. You might be able to hear Randy's supreme voice better.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue
    I haven't seen or heard any solo Randy bootlegs but will surely search harder now that I know some exist. What shows have you heard?
    There are two radio shows, 1 from Dallas and 1 from Denver. I think the Dallas one has been available at Amazon.

As well as some of his solo tracks, you get to hear live versions of Try And Love Again and Too Many Hands as well as the inevitable Take It To The Limit.

Out on the Border

I will check that out further but the live albums I have I have only noticed Randy doing the talking. In one he talks about on the Friday show the host called him Rick Miser and I did hear him talking about his kids in another. I really don't recall anyone but him talking on the live albums but Randy himself.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    There are two radio shows, 1 from Dallas and 1 from Denver. I think the Dallas one has been available at Amazon.

As well as some of his solo tracks, you get to hear live versions of Try And Love Again and Too Many Hands as well as the inevitable Take It To The Limit.
    Oh thank you, Funk. I've heard the Dallas show. I thought both shows were official releases.

I only heard Randy speak during the Dallas show, except for a brief comment from the guitarist thanking the audience and saying something like "we really needed that." Apparently they had been experiencing some not-so-friendly audiences before that, particularly in New York. There's an article in the Retro Press thread about a difficult show at the Bottom Line.

My tuppence: if you compare Randy's stage demeanor in Eagles shows with his solo career performances, it was a big leap forward for him. For a shy person to take center stage (with a different instrument no less), sing all the songs, handle all the press interviews - I give Randy major props. It was a gutsy thing he did. I'm sorry his solo career wasn't as successful as one would hope but everyone knows the music business is a dicey proposition. He tried and there's absolutely no dishonor in that. Not to mention, he got three songs in the top 20, IIRC, which is more than most can say.

Banned

Thanks for responding Olivia and NightMistBlue and you're absolutely right. I checked the shows myself and I must say sorry to all the Meisner fans. I was wrong to say that Randy isn't the front man at his solo shows. He does all the singing and he does the vast majority of the communication with the audience too.

My only defense is that, the song I listen to most, Try And Love Again from the Dallas show is introduced by a voice that I don't recognise. Randy pretty much introduces all the other songs. Unusually, his backing band do have a lot to say for themselves and the count ins are distracting and annoying but Randy is the leader of the mob.

Despite all the negative stuff that Don Felder has publicised about the Eagles, Randy, Bernie and Don himself, had their best years under the band's wing.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh thank you, Funk. I've heard the Dallas show. I thought both shows were official releases.

I only heard Randy speak during the Dallas show, except for a brief comment from the guitarist thanking the audience and saying something like "we really needed that." Apparently they had been experiencing some not-so-friendly audiences before that, particularly in New York. There's an article in the Retro Press thread about a difficult show at the Bottom Line.

My tuppence: if you compare Randy's stage demeanor in Eagles shows with his solo career performances, it was a big leap forward for him. For a shy person to take center stage (with a different instrument no less), sing all the songs, handle all the press interviews - I give Randy major props. It was a gutsy thing he did. I'm sorry his solo career wasn't as successful as one would hope but everyone knows the music business is a dicey proposition. He tried and there's absolutely no dishonor in that. Not to mention, he got three songs in the top 20, IIRC, which is more than most can say.
    Couldn't Agree More!!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Thanks for responding Olivia and NightMistBlue and you're absolutely right. I checked the shows myself and I must say sorry to all the Meisner fans. I was wrong to say that Randy isn't the front man at his solo shows. He does all the singing and he does the vast majority of the communication with the audience too.

My only defense is that, the song I listen to most, Try And Love Again from the Dallas show is introduced by a voice that I don't recognise. Randy pretty much introduces all the other songs. Unusually, his backing band do have a lot to say for themselves and the count ins are distracting and annoying but Randy is the leader of the mob.

Despite all the negative stuff that Don Felder has publicised about the Eagles, Randy, Bernie and Don himself, had their best years under the band's wing.

I love the Randy/Bernie/Don years too of the Eagles but I love Randy's solo stuff. I don't really listen to Felder's solo music but I love his playing on Eagles music.