Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: More shows coming?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: More shows coming?

IMO, and it really is an opinion from someone who's just guessing, they didn't replace Felder because that would have been another line-up change. Dropping someone is different than replacing them. Look how much criticism some other bands have gotten for replacing long term members with new (think Foreigner). They become little more than tribute bands. While Joe and Timothy have been with them for a very long time, when you look at the percentage of the big hits they weren't members for, it starts to look bad when you replace another member.

I'm sure there were things that didn't really factor into their decision but worked out for them all the same. One, more money for the ones left. Two, a big middle finger in the air to Felder that says, "Your part in the band is so unimportant we can live without it." Conversely, it could also be a silent acknowledgment that when it comes to his talent, there is no one who can replace him. Lastly, it was a bad breakup, and maybe they just didn't want to open themselves up to having it happen again.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not really clear about what counts as "being in the band". When it was just 4 of them it was straightforward, although they still brought in session musicians at times (less so than many other groups). And then you had bands like Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band which had a lot more musicans involved than those with their name in the title. Were those other musicians "in the band" or side men? Joe Vitale played on The Long Run album and toured but was never made an Eagle. In 2001, why would newcomer Steuart Smith be made an Eagle over members of the touring band like Scott Crago?

If I understand him correctly, Timothy has said he was pleased to become a member of the band in 1978 because they didn't need to do that - I think he means he could have been brought in as a side-man.

The big difference between Timothy and Steuart is that Timothy gets to sing lead on a couple of songs. Perhaps that's the definition of "being in the band" for C21st Eagles.

To me, being in the band means being an Eagle. Not just singing leads, but being in the spotlight more. Being in on interviews and photos. Being paid like one! Only seven people have ever been in the band as I refer to it. The photo at the top of this page (for future viewers, the standard layout) has the current members of the band.
    VK

Banned

What about Bernie then?

and what happened to the reply I posted here earlier?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    What about Bernie then?

and what happened to the reply I posted here earlier?
    Bernie is a special guest, according to the tour programme.

Perhaps you didn't 'submit' your post correctly.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Oh c'mon, it's a real stretch to draw a conclusion that Steuart's status has to do with greed or pride. To my mind Steuart is exactly the same as the Rolling Stones bassist Darryl Whatever, except Steuart joined the band even later than Darryl did. At that point in the band's career nobody is becoming a Stone/Eagle.

The last guy to join both bands who is a band member (Timothy/Ronnie Wood) joined in the '70s. You can't expect the same for someone who joins in the 2000s. What I remember is Steuart saying, "I'll never know what it's like to be an Eagle" or similar. He has no expectations, and he shouldn't.
    That's a good point, most big of the older big name bands seem reluctant to add new members to their official line ups even if they are major contributors to their live sound or studio albums. I can think of some specific examples for other bands - for instance, after Roger Waters' acrimonious departure from Pink Floyd in the 1980s they never found a permanent replacement as a bassist, instead initially recruiting people like Tony Levin and later Guy Pratt to play his parts in live performances and in the studio on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell. Likewise R.E.M. were officially reduced to a trio after the departure their drummer Bill Berry in 1998 and in the remainder of their career remained without an 'official' drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Bernie is a special guest, according to the tour programme.

Perhaps you didn't 'submit' your post correctly.
    I don't know about F50, but I do that all the time! I type in a response, and since the Submit button is buried and I have to scroll to get to it, habit takes over and I click New Posts and exit the reply without submitting. Fortunately, clicking the back button brings it, as long as I realize what I did immediately.
    VK

Banned

It took me ages to compose too

I know I mentioned Genesis. Genesis replaced Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett with stage musicians Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermur who both went on to become much loved members of the touring band. Does Stevie Nicks still have Lori and Sharon on stage with her?

Don Felder was actually the last guy to be invited into the inner sanctum of the Eagles. When Joe and then Tim came on board they were offered different terms although they were named as members of the band.

By 2001, the guys were so sick of Felder, they had to lose him to continue as a band. As he had no lead vocal responsibilities, a session guitarist would be an adequate replacement.

Steuart Smith definitely did more on Long Road Out Of Eden than I thought he would. Playing lead guitar on several tracks, as well as being involved in the writing and production process should get him in the band but he remains very firmly on the disposable list.

If Steuart becomes unhappy with his Eagles lot he could become a brilliant acquisition for Felder's Alter Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It took me ages to compose too

I know I mentioned Genesis. Genesis replaced Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett with stage musicians Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermur who both went on to become much loved members of the touring band. Does Stevie Nicks still have Lori and Sharon on stage with her?

Don Felder was actually the last guy to be invited into the inner sanctum of the Eagles. When Joe and then Tim came on board they were offered different terms although they were named as members of the band.

By 2001, the guys were so sick of Felder, they had to lose him to continue as a band. As he had no lead vocal responsibilities, a session guitarist would be an adequate replacement.

Steuart Smith definitely did more on Long Road Out Of Eden than I thought he would. Playing lead guitar on several tracks, as well as being involved in the writing and production process should get him in the band but he remains very firmly on the disposable list.

If Steuart becomes unhappy with his Eagles lot he could become a brilliant acquisition for Felder's Alter Eagles.
    She did when I saw her but that was in 2009.

I hope Steuart could do a bit better than go & play with Felder. Why would he want to do that? He can play HC & all Felder's other solos. As he presumably wouldn't be able to play those solos with Felder, what would his role be? It won't happen, anyway. He is Don Henley's protegé if you like. He played on Inside Job & then Don recommended him to Glenn. He plays in Henley's backing band to this day so he would stay with Henley, I would have thought.

Banned

When Randy left the Eagles, Joe Walsh and Don Felder had discussed leaving with him but opted to stay with Glenn and Don. When HFO was initiated, Felder, Walsh and Schmit were putting a project together.

An alternate Eagles with Felder, Leadon, Meisner and Vitale has often been mooted. I think Stuart Smith is now in a position where he would be an asset to such a band. He would add authenticity.

If Steuart stopped working with the Eagles, he'd surely break from Henley too. Henley only does about half a dozen solo shows a year, doesn't he?