Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The HOTE documentary strongly suggests that Don and Glenn are the Eagles. Everybody else is secondary.

Joe's dominated the second half of every Eagles show I've attended since HFO. The last occasion was a shortened set and even I, as a Walsh fan thought there was too much Joe and not enough of the rest of the band. It was the Eagles' name on the ticket.

I'd love to see Joe live without having to fork out a fortune to see the same half dozen songs performed yet again. 40 years is a helluva wait.
    I saw him in August of 2012. It was a great show! I hope he does more shows, with or without new music.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado

My opinion of the Eagles has never really changed, as far as the band itself. They are a great band. I do see the "historic" or "tribute" aspect that has been mentioned, and I too think they have become tributes to themselves, but as a group, the sound is still great. (Now it can be argued that to achieve the same sound and vocals that they did in the 70's they require 3 or 4 more musicians and harmony singers)
    I think personality wise, after reading different books and seeing the documentary, my opinion of members, either positively or negatively has changed somewhat. I have, like so many others, started to appreciate more of the lesser known songs, and hidden gems in their catalog. "Visions" for instance, I had never listened to, until a couple years back, and I love it.
    I think what has hindered the group being an actual working, music producing band is what makes it so great, the music. The old songs are so great, and now, with these huge gaps of time in between, it would be hard to put out anything that could stand along side them.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Well, if we took say TBS as an example of someone who would potentially leave, they need to find someone who:
    - Sings high and in harmony
    - Plays bass and can learn 30+ tabs off by heart
    - Henley and Crago can build a rapport with
    - Has a decent reputation

Neither Henley nor Frey could be replaced, too many vocals and too much image and behind the scenes matters depend on them. Replacing Walsh would be nearing impossible and I suspect about as popular amongst the general public as Felder leaving, certainly you'd never replace the stage presence. Put all of that together along with their age and that realistically they've probably got about 5 years tops left of any extended performances and it becomes quite obvious why they probably wouldn't bother.
    Sorry to go back so far, I'm just getting caught up on the threads! TLR, you left out TBS's most important attribute: He is a consummate professional who knows the business, understands the politics, doesn't mess with Don and Glenn and Don and Glenn don't mess with him! He keeps the peace. [is that one attribute?]

Banned

Surely they'd replace Tim with Jack Sundrud (Poco). Although a Poco fan has likened Jack's voice to Henley's.

Tim's been a second, great bassist/vocalist for the Eagles but I don't think they'd be any problem replacing him. They'd just get a session guy in, like The Rolling Stones and The Who have done. Nathan East would be top of my list.

It may be a step too far but the Eagles could have some women on stage to help with the high harmonies. Don's already performed I Can't Tell You Why at a solo show, so that's covered.

Saying all that, I'd be as shocked as anybody to hear that Tim has left the Eagles.

Comparing the new songs (Long Road Out Of Eden) to the old songs. I remember Glenn saying, when LROOE was released, that on all the old albums, you could pick out, 3 or 4 really stand out tracks where-as Long Road Out Of Eden had 13 or 14. He didn't specify further but I wonder if he'd still stand by that statement, 7 years on.

Apart from the Greatest Hits albums, I think Long Road Out Of Eden, mainly as it's a double album, is the Eagles album with the most great songs on it.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Sorry to go back so far, I'm just getting caught up on the threads! TLR, you left out TBS's most important attribute: He is a consummate professional who knows the business, understands the politics, doesn't mess with Don and Glenn and Don and Glenn don't mess with him! He keeps the peace. [is that one attribute?]
    I suppose I was talking in general but would agree TBS plays the quiet, measured role well and I kind of meant that with reputation - an old hand who's been around long enough to know how music and the industry itself works and would be a like for like change.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Comparing the new songs (Long Road Out Of Eden) to the old songs. I remember Glenn saying, when LROOE was released, that on all the old albums, you could pick out, 3 or 4 really stand out tracks where-as Long Road Out Of Eden had 13 or 14. He didn't specify further but I wonder if he'd still stand by that statement, 7 years on.

Apart from the Greatest Hits albums, I think Long Road Out Of Eden, mainly as it's a double album, is the Eagles album with the most great songs on it.
    Evidently he has changed his mind about ANY stand out tracks since they don't do any from it at all these days. Which I can't understand at all.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Surely they'd replace Tim with Jack Sundrud (Poco). Although a Poco fan has likened Jack's voice to Henley's.

Tim's been a second, great bassist/vocalist for the Eagles but I don't think they'd be any problem replacing him. They'd just get a session guy in, like The Rolling Stones and The Who have done. Nathan East would be top of my list.

It may be a step too far but the Eagles could have some women on stage to help with the high harmonies. Don's already performed I Can't Tell You Why at a solo show, so that's covered.

Saying all that, I'd be as shocked as anybody to hear that Tim has left the Eagles.

No. For heaven's sake, NO. They have backing musicians doing harmonies already. They don't need female backup singers cluttering the stage even more, let alone how this would wreck their vocal blend, and how cheesy it would look. I have nothing against female backup singers for solo artists, but not for a band which is famous for its vocals more than anything.

I hate what has happened to LROOE, but there seems no point dwelling on it.