Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

Border Troubadour

Default How have your Eagles opinions changed?

This topic crossed my mind when I posted about Visions in the OOTN thread before, I never used to be fond of it but over the past couple of months I have grown to love it so much that it's now probably in my top 10 favourites.

That got me thinking about how my thoughts on various Eagles topics have changed over the years, for example I never used to be fond of the first album but now I really love it and could easily listen to it on repeat; similarly I have grown to enjoy The Long Run, an album which before I joined this forum I scarcely listened to. On the other hand OOTN has gone from being my second or third favourite album to being stone cold last. Another example is that I never really thought much of Bernie's contribution (not in a bad way!) until I realised just how much he brought to the sound of the Desperado album in particular.

Does anyone else have any of their own? It can be about anything from discography to events within the band, or perhaps even not liking them at al previously.

Cheers

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

Good topic, LastResort!

I did the opposite of you, Long Run was my favorite album, and the only one I really listened to other than the greatest hits and Live. Now, I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

When Desperado or Hotel California could come on the MP3 player, the CD player, or the radio, I'd always switch to something else. I've stopped doing that. While they play, I just think about how they sound live.

Probably the biggest thing for me isn't so much just for the Eagles, but learning more about all these songs and how they were written, hearing Glenn talk about songwriting at the NYU lecture, and hearing what he said about songwriting when doing interviews for After Hours, I have a much better appreciation for the songwriting process.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Mine have pretty much stayed the same.

I still prefer the HC/LR era to the earlier eras and I'm still a Walsh fan and prefer him in the band to Leadon.

I still love Hotel California, it's my favorite song still, and listen to it all the time. I still believe it's their defining song and the one that turned them from a successful well known band to a rock n' roll supergroup in the likes of Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, etc. And also I believe it has the best guitar solo of all time.

I've developed appreciation for certain songs over time like ATTIG and NKIT and such, but still not a fan of the first two albums except TIE, PEF, WW, and Desperado.

I still miss Don Felder in the band and feel he got a raw unfair deal, but have gained respect for Steuart Smith as an individual player even though he's not Don Felder and doesn't cop his phrasing exactly and tone wise (sonically) although musically plays it note for note. That's the individuality of guitar playing.

And lastly I still feel like they are a guitar band who's guitar parts was every bit as good as their amazing vocal harmonies and songwriting. I still feel Joe Walsh and Don Felder are probably the best guitar duo of all time and are what brought me into this whole thing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I'm a HC gal all the way .
    That will never change its just a song that stops me in my tracks everytiime that
    I hear it.
    The HC Lp reminds me of my senior year in high school ad takes. Me back to that era of music.
    I love the lp always have .

I listen to it all all eagles songs unlike va

I do like songs that I dodnt care for when younger.

Now ww was always my least favorite . Sinc . Seeing it done live and dh explain about it being written and the kick a** version of it on hotw tour I kw feel differenly about it

Banned

I came to the Eagles as a Walsh fan.

After all the great records he made before he joined the Eagles, I was disappointed that it became one album in half a decade after he became an Eagle. Pretty Maids All In A Row and, the already released, In The City didn't make up for it.

When the Eagles split in 1980, production increased again but the quality was more inconsistent.

After wanting Joe to leave the Eagles during the seventies, I was delighted that he was rejoining them for HFO. I was even prepared for Joe to put his solo career on hold for 10 years while the Eagles produced another album.

Twenty years after HFO, I'm back to wanting Joe to leave the Eagles.

The length of time between Long Road Out Of Eden and today is equal to the time between the Hoot at the Troubadour, on a Monday night and Hotel California. The James Gang's, Yer Album to Joe's, You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind.

There aint much to look forward to.

Stuck on the Border

My opinions changed a little after hearing them live. I now appreciate "Those Shoes" more than I did just based on the recording. A live show has different needs than a recording that is played at home alone and that's where someone like Joe Walsh comes in.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've been a fan since the very beginning and have always loved most everything they've done. I was devestated when they broke up and elated when hell froze over and continued listening to their music all the years in between.

I don't really think my opinions have changed about anything other than like The Long Run album better than I used to.

F50, why would you want Joe to leave the band? And who would you replace him with? That pretty much blows my mind!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I've loved the Eagles for years and went to their concerts when they played here but I only ever listened to their greatest hits CD's.

Since the HOTE tour started and my joining of the border, after reading the posts, I collected all their albums and really listened to them - discovering some gems of songs (ATTIG, Saturday night, My Man, YNCLAL) along the way that I would never have heard otherwise.

What I love about them is their ability to re-work old songs like Witchy Woman and These Shoes - two stand out songs from the HOTE tour IMO.
    They constantly keep things fresh and still sound great and thats why I love them even more now.

But I agree with Brooke on F50's comment - why would you want Joe to leave the Eagles ? He obviously loves being in the band and we love him in the band so why would he want to leave ? If he wanted to put out new solo music, then I'm sure he would have.......
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

I can't think of opinions that have changed, but if I do, I'll tell you.
    But what has changed is that I know which member is which. The inner gatefold of Hotel California vinyl/back cover of the CD...When I was very green, I though that Randy was Glenn and Glenn was Joe. At some point I think I thought that Joe was Glenn...
    One Of These Nights...I remember thinking that Felder was Glenn.

EDIT:

I think I didn't like ICTYW at all when I was a teenager, but now I love it.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-16-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I still miss Don Felder in the band and feel he got a raw unfair deal, but have gained respect for Steuart Smith as an individual player even though he's not Don Felder and doesn't cop his phrasing exactly and tone wise (sonically) although musically plays it note for note. That's the individuality of guitar playing.
    I have this feeling that guitarists sometimes deliberately play things differently so that it supposedly has "their" voice. If the original has a bend, play a hammer-on. If the original has a hammer-on, bend it. If the original slides into a note, do a hammer-on. If the original has a hammer-on, do a slide.

That's just how I feel and it irritates me. If guitarists play stuff differently naturally, I don't mind, but often it sounds like being different for the sake of being different.