Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

Banned

Default Re: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

In the UK, Status Quo have had dozens and dozens of hit singles since the late sixties, far more than the Eagles, never mind solo Joe, most of them up-tempo rockers, most of them written and sung by Rossi.

Francis Rossi would be a bonkers replacement for Joe but I think a few jaws hit the floor when Joe was announced as the replacement for Bernie.

The question, not comment, Are the Eagles currently anything more than an authentic tribute act? is worthy of merit.

I'm trying to think of the best songwriting team still operating today. In the 70s, Glenn and Don would've been in the running. Presently, I'm struggling to name any at all.

Touring is such big business now that the show has become the product. Song power is something from the last century.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    In the UK, Status Quo have had dozens and dozens of hit singles since the late sixties, far more than the Eagles, never mind solo Joe, most of them up-tempo rockers, most of them written and sung by Rossi.

Francis Rossi would be a bonkers replacement for Joe but I think a few jaws hit the floor when Joe was announced as the replacement for Bernie.

The question, not comment, Are the Eagles currently anything more than an authentic tribute act? is worthy of merit.

I'm trying to think of the best songwriting team still operating today. In the 70s, Glenn and Don would've been in the running. Presently, I'm struggling to name any at all.

Touring is such big business now that the show has become the product. Song power is something from the last century.
    F50, you asked the tribute band question again, and yet you never answered my questions in my post above. So I'll say it again, an actual band with actual members cannot be a tribute band. They are THE band. Also, your implied criticism of no new music hardly flies when you so dislike the new music they did put out.

As for the touring being such big business, there are multiple threads that go into depth on that subject on this board. The long and the short of it is that if you want to make money, you have to tour. Merely releasing music does not make money. US radio stations play it for free. A large portion of people listen to music via streaming options like Spotify which pays even more of a pittance than record sales by the time it gets to the songwriters and artists. MP3s and Apple's equivalent require agreements with Apple, Amazon, etc., that do not pay as much as someone buying a CD, plus the option to buy a single song instead of the entire album. Others just search for a video on YouTube, since it allows people to post things they don't own the copyright to. Lastly, people have a habit of copying music from others or downloading from torrent sites instead of buying. For some acts, releasing new music costs money instead of makes money, and touring is the way to make it up. If you want more information on the break outs of all that when it comes to percentages and such, let me know and I'll try to find the threads and articles that were referenced.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I actually have heard of Status Quo, but I can't remember where, and it was, obviously. only in passing because I know absolutely nothing about them. I don't know where they are from, what genre of music they play, who Frank Rossi is, nor could I name a single song or band member. I suspect that is pretty true of mainstream America, so I think Freypower makes a valid point.

We also have to remember that the Eagles are all pushing 70, and, dare I say, nearing the twilight of their careers. If they thought they needed Joe in the band for the 1994 reunion, I can't fathom that they would consider replacing him now.

BTW, I also agree with VA's definition of a tribute band. I guess the implication may be that they are only a shadow of what they once were and I certainly would take issue with that notion as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Status Quo sang Gloria. Don played drums to this song on the All Star Garage Band special.

I've never heard of them either until I found out they sang Gloria. That song popped up on my Pandora station one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    BTW, I also agree with VA's definition of a tribute band. I guess the implication may be that they are only a shadow of what they once were and I certainly would take issue with that notion as well.
    Thank you, Dreamer....anybody who has seen them on this tour would know they are not even close to being a shadow of what they once were.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Status Quo sang Gloria. Don played drums to this song on the All Star Garage Band special.

I've never heard of them either until I found out they sang Gloria. That song popped up on my Pandora station one day.
    In 1968 at the very beginning of their career. It is far better known as a Van Morrison/Them song.

This version was done by the original lineup which called itself the Frantic Four. All I can say is original bass player Alan Lancaster (who sings it) is looking old).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwrteXly_WI[/ame]

They are massive in the UK & I am very fond of them. I saw them at their peak back in 1978. Francis (it is Francis, not Frank) is the singer/guitarist.

Don did play drums on a version of Gloria, but not the Quo version.

Frankly I am dumbfounded that this was apparently put up as a serious suggestion, given what I said about Quo being completely unknown in the US.

As for the HOTE tour I did have some reservations about the last shows I saw. I have only hinted at what they were & it is probably best that I leave it at that.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-29-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    F50, you asked the tribute band question again, and yet you never answered my questions in my post above. So I'll say it again, an actual band with actual members cannot be a tribute band. They are THE band. Also, your implied criticism of no new music hardly flies when you so dislike the new music they did put out.
    I thought I quite liked all the new music, including Glenn's standards album. Long Road Out Of Eden is a great Eagles album but I'm a Walsh fan.

I don't know what the official definition of a tribute band is but in my opinion it is a band that attempts to recreate the music of another band, live in concert.

Things get more complicated when former actual band members get involved.

Steve Hackett has just done a massive tour performing Genesis music. Felder plays mostly Eagles music live, rather than his own material. John Illsley, tours playing Dire Straits tracks. John Coughlan played drums in a Status Quo tribute act. I think two, thirds of The Jam joined a, The Jam tribute act. The list goes on. Actual band members add authenticity but it's still a tribute act. The only difference is that the Eagles recreate their own music.

When the Eagles started out, they just wanted to hear themselves on the radio. As their popularity increased, their ambitions grew too. They've had an awesome career and achieved much more than they could have dreamed of, yet, coming towards the end of their career, their act isn't that far removed from a bunch of musicians, just starting out, by becoming an Eagles tribute act.

I've no problem with the Eagles doing the nostalgia thing but I'd rather they did it without wasting the talent of Joe Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I thought I quite liked all the new music, including Glenn's standards album. Long Road Out Of Eden is a great Eagles album but I'm a Walsh fan.

I don't know what the official definition of a tribute band is but in my opinion it is a band that attempts to recreate the music of another band, live in concert.

Things get more complicated when former actual band members get involved.

Steve Hackett has just done a massive tour performing Genesis music. Felder plays mostly Eagles music live, rather than his own material. John Illsley, tours playing Dire Straits tracks. John Coughlan played drums in a Status Quo tribute act. I think two, thirds of The Jam joined a, The Jam tribute act. The list goes on. Actual band members add authenticity but it's still a tribute act. The only difference is that the Eagles recreate their own music.

When the Eagles started out, they just wanted to hear themselves on the radio. As their popularity increased, their ambitions grew too. They've had an awesome career and achieved much more than they could have dreamed of, yet, coming towards the end of their career, their act isn't that far removed from a bunch of musicians, just starting out, by becoming an Eagles tribute act.

I've no problem with the Eagles doing the nostalgia thing but I'd rather they did it without wasting the talent of Joe Walsh.
    OK, what stuck with me with the negative comments you made about LROOE, and I somehow missed that you liked it. I do remember what you said about Analog Man, and it wasn't good, and if all of Joe's fans feel that way, I can totally understand why he's not in a hurry to do it again. By the end of his solo tour, he was only playing one or two songs from Analog Man, and to me, that was very telling on his thoughts of new solo material.

I get why you might think Joe's talents are wasted on the Eagles. I disagree, of course, and more to the point, Joe disagrees. He's said he wants to put out solo material again, but he's first and foremost an Eagle, and that's what he seems to want. They all feel that way, but Joe has been the most vocal about it.

Here is the definition of a tribute act, so hopefully this will explain why some of us found your words to be insulting to the band. They have not disbanded, ceased touring, or are deceased, and they do not mimic anyone.

A tribute act is a music group, singer, or musician who specifically plays the music of a well-known music act - sometimes one which has disbanded, ceased touring or is deceased. Probably the largest class of tributes acts is Elvis impersonators, individual performers who mimic the songs and style of Elvis Presley.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

The only thing I would say about the 'tribute act' accusation is the following:

When LROOE was released Glenn said in quite specific terms that one of the reasons they made it was because they didn't want to become a 'tribute to themselves'.

Now with the complete dumping of any reference to LROOE & the reliance on the 'history' aspect in their shows the 'nostalgia' aspect, if not the 'tribute' aspect has in fact become the most prominent aspect of their shows. This isn't meant to insult them. It's just stating a fact.

F50, perhaps you should have seen the most recent shows. It's a bit difficult to say that Joe's talents are wasted with the Eagles when he dominates the second half so completely. It could also be said that the other band members' talents are wasted even more in this situation. I'm afraid that's how I felt. You seem to think the Eagles are or should be only a vehicle for Joe.

Banned

The HOTE documentary strongly suggests that Don and Glenn are the Eagles. Everybody else is secondary.

Joe's dominated the second half of every Eagles show I've attended since HFO. The last occasion was a shortened set and even I, as a Walsh fan thought there was too much Joe and not enough of the rest of the band. It was the Eagles' name on the ticket.

I'd love to see Joe live without having to fork out a fortune to see the same half dozen songs performed yet again. 40 years is a helluva wait.