Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Games - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback

Default Re: Survivor Games - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Now I want to warn you all next time we do Long Run in Survivor---I'm going for the win on Disco Strangler!!!!!!!
    You might have a job, as you can't (unless the rules change ) win immunity for it in round one.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Hadn't thought of that!!! No respect once again for Disco Strangler!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Oh GOD WILLIE: DEATH to DISCO!

MikeA

I agree with everything TBF said, except for that last line about Disco Strangler.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

You know, Willie's right. (Except for DS!) Wc didn't do anything wrong according to the rules and more power to her for being so diligent. Any of us could have done the same if we'd really wanted to. I probably wouldn't be fast enough to win, but that's just the way it goes.

The game has worked so far and if it's done like the original Survivor, then why change anything? It's really a lot of fun and this one has probably sparked the most discussion of any.

Thanks Soda and Dreamer for all your hard work on it, too! Great job!

And I'm with Mike, Death to Disco!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well – I’m going to offer a few thoughts here as well because I have to disagree with a couple of the premises that folks are basing their opinions on here. There are a few things that haven’t been mentioned here that I think need to be taken into consideration.

First of all, I don’t think that our game is just like the TV show, and therefore our rules should be. While I think we are modeled after the TV show – we are not the same. Our games differ from the TV show in the following ways:

1. The objective of the TV show is to “win at all cost”. That is in direct contrast to our objective here, which is to have a fun activity on the board so members can vote on the songs. We encourage discussion of the songs and, hopefully, promote interest in the band’s music. Our games are supposed to be played in the spirit of “may the best song win” as determined by “majority rule” Now, we are probably at fault in that maybe we should have made these objectives clearer, but this has always been our sole reason for taking the trouble to play the game.

2. Immunity questions in our games differ from the TV show because our game has the time factor built in – the quickest has the advantage. Because of our cutoff time, there is already an inherit unfairness because not everyone can be on the board to attempt to answer – in other words, all players do not have an equal opportunity to answer the questions like in the TV show. If we are going to have the immunity questions, we want make them as fair as we possibly can. We also want to try to encourage participation, not discourage it.

Secondly, I also don’t agree with the notion that these games have been working very well in the recent past. Those of us that have been around these from the very beginning may have a different perspective on this, but I can tell you, from my perspective, the game has become increasingly contentious and divisive in the last year or so. If you want to take the time to investigate this, go back and read some of the earlier threads. They are much more civil even though we had many disagreements about the songs. Only in the last year or so have we had this level of conflict and it keeps getting worse as people have declared that they were acting to seeking revenge, tick people off, and most recently even outright attempts to create fake users to throw the game. From a personal standpoint these games are requiring much more time and effort to moderate because of the increasingly tense and competitive environment. Unlike the TV show – we are trying to promote civility and friendly competition and want to discourage behavior that promotes divisiveness and conflict. When the games become more stressful than fun, it seems to me that we are defeating our purpose.

I think all of us who participate in the game should start by examining our own behavior to see if we can do more to keep the tone civil and friendly. If you suspect that something you’re doing is pissing a lot of people off, then maybe it’s not a good idea. As I always say – “just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should”.

In addition, I think the admin and moderators should take some time in the coming weeks to examine if there are changes that could be made that will promote more civility and fun in the games.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 05-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I agree with everything Dreamer said & just want to add that as far as trying to answer the immunity questions, I did try. On one occasion I actually got as far as posting & left the post as evidence that I had tried. But as the game wore on it became more & more obvious that I was going to be beaten every time so I more or less gave up. That is what Dreamer refers to when she talks about people being discouraged from participating.

So for Brooke & Willie to say that 'anyone could have done the same' unfortunately isn't correct because nobody else could get there quickly enough.

Also there was no interest, once it became clear that the same song was immune every time. I found myself wondering what was the point. I also thought when people made it clear that they thought Bitter Creek had been immune long enough that some concessions would be made (as I have said I was in this position for several rounds during the Frey Video Survivor game. I felt that in the interests of fairness that I needed to stop protecting a particular video).

As Dreamer said hopefully the moderators will be able to find a solution to this before the next game is played. I really enjoy these games; I would hate to see them go.

I don't want the rules to be changed. Like others have said, WC Did nothing wrong, Just following the rules of the game.

I'd hate to see the rules changed.

I think the way it is adds drama to the game. And as we can see from that last Survivor Game focused on "Desperado", it is OBVIOUS that we need more drama! <LOL>

I certainly don't think anyone was disinterested or bored. Frustrated and annoyed maybe, but not bored!

Seems to me it was a success and the songs that everyone pretty much expected to come out on top, came out on top. I mean, the only other track on the album that the most of the people (not talking just here on the Border) knew anything about was Doolin-Dalton and I don't think it would have had any better chance of beating out the Big Two than Bitter Creek had.

But I definitely DID enjoy the game..this time as a spectator. I thought there was some very good thought-provoking discussion that had substance to it and after all, that is what this "game" is supposed to be about.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Seems to me it was a success and the songs that everyone pretty much expected to come out on top, came out on top.
    Show of hands - who did not have Bitter Creek in their top three?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.