Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Games - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Default Re: Survivor Games - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback

I recently got ahold of a Strange Weather CD and I love it. I now have 3 of Glenn solo CDs. Do you know off hand how many he made if we were to have a Survivor Game.

Stuck on the Border

He made (how I wish I could say he 'has' made) four solo albums, the same number as Don: No Fun Aloud, The Allnighter, Soul Searchin' and Strange Weather. Don's albums are I Can't Stand Still, Building The Perfect Beast, The End Of The Innocence and Inside Job.

AZ, I am glad you love Strange Weather, but I don't want to pre-empt anything.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

AZ - I'm glad you love the Strange Weather CD. I do too. It is my all time favorite of all of the Eagles solo CDs. To add to what FP said, Glenn has also put out a live CD (Glenn Frey Live), and a couple of "hits" compilation CD's (Solo Collection and Millinneum Collection). Don has also put out a greatest hits CD (Actual Miles).

As far as the Survivor games, thanks everyone for the feedback. I think it's great that so many people seem to enjoy playing the games. It is fun for me, too.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Following on from the discussion about one song being immune for the whole of the Desperado 2011 Survivor, here are my thoughts for possible rule changes (which work together)

1. A song cannot be made immune for two or more consecutive rounds by the same person, but it can be made immune by different people. Before anyone who has already made a song immune once can make it immune again it has to lose immunity.

2. If a person wins immunity for two consecutive questions, for their second immunity they have to chose a song they have not previously made immune.

3. No-one is allowed to win more than two consecutive immunity questions.

Sounds a bit complicated, but I'll try to explain with some examples.

Example 1

Round two - Ann wins immunity for her favourite song, Desperado.
    Round three - Beryl wins immunity, and her favourite song is also Desperado.
    Round four - Caroline wins immunity, and her favourite song is Desperado.
    Round five - Ann wins immunity again, but is banned from saving Desperado because she's already saved it once in this 'chain', so she saves Outlaw man.
    Round six - winner Ann, immune any song except Desperado and Outlaw man, both of which she has chosen previously.
    Round seven - Ann not eligible to win immunity as she has won previous two consecutive rounds
    Round eight - Ann now able to win immunity and for any song.

Example 2.

Round two - winner Ann, immune Desperado.
    Round three - winner Beryl, immune Desperado.
    Round four - winner Caroline, immune Desperado.
    Round five - winner Debbie, immune Saturday night
    Round six - winner Ann, immune Desperado
    Round seven - winner Ann, immune any song except Desperado which she chose in the previous round.
    Round eight - Ann not eligible to win immunity as she has won previous two consecutive rounds
    Round nine - Ann now able to win immunity and for any song.

The rule about different people being able to make the same song immune means that everyone has a chance to save 'their' song. If I win immunity why should my choice of song be penalised because it's also someone else's favourite song? Yes, you could still get the same song being immune all the way through Survivor, but if different people are chosing it then it must be fairly popular.

Hopefully, this makes some sort of sense.
    If not, I will try to explain it a little more clearly.

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I don't see any reason for the rules to be changed. There have been other games that songs have been immune more an once and it didn't seem to cause any trouble.
    It only seemed to became a big deal this time because of the song that was chosen.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AzEaglesFan View Post
    I don't see any reason for the rules to be changed. There have been other games that songs have been immune more an once and it didn't seem to cause any trouble.
    It only seemed to became a big deal this time because of the song that was chosen.
    I don't know how to say this diplomatically; it was a big deal not because of the song that was chosen but because the same person answered every single question & then made the same song immune every single round. What is required is restrictions on how often the same person can answer immune questions & then how often they can make one song immune.

I can see UKTF's suggestion working.

I'm not sure why the rules need to change myself. WhiteCap devoted the time to be on the spot when the immunization question was stated and she had the knowledge of the album and the songs on it to correctly answer each one. That in itself is quite a feat. It's never been done before to my knowledge. I don't there is need for a handicap. I think that when someone has that kind of skill and knowledge, they should be granted the reward.

Me, I'd never be able to come up with the answers as quickly as did WC and I am very impressed. It all works out in the end. You are going to come down to TWO songs that have to get there without immunization so if there truly is enough desire, immunization is not going to get a song into the finals.

MikeA

I'm another who totally agrees with Mike.
    And I'm in awe of Whitcap's knowledge and typing speed.

If a song could win immunity through to the final, then it would be a different matter, but under the current rules there is the opportunity to eliminate it when there are three songs left.
    Yes, it is frustrating when possibly your least favourite song is continually being made immune, but that's the game and is no different (as has already been pointed out) to the TV version when someone who was highly unpopular kept winning immunity every week.

Although I suggested possible new rules, I would much prefer to keep the present ones. Even though the possibility of me knowing the answer to an immunity question is about one in a hundred, and my chance of typing fast enough to win immunity for 'my' song about one in a thousand.
    Last edited by UK TimFan; 05-05-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Deleted an unnecessary word

I would like to see the rules changed, partly because not everyone has the chance to be online when the immunity question is posted. I certainly admire people who make a big effort to be there at the time, but don't want to see the same person picking the same song all the way through - even if it's one I love.

If we say the same person can't answer more than 2 immunity questions in a row it may give more of a chance to other Borderers and other songs. JMHO.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This game has always worked beautifully in the past but this time it seemed to fail miserably. Before anyone goes off about what I just said, I am NOT trying to be mean or difficult.

I also do not believe that WC did anything wrong, she had every right, under the rules, to be the first one at the question and to make any song she wanted immune as often as she wished. Any of us could of done the same thing. Personally, I do not have the ambition or the time to sit by the computer at 8 pm every other night to wait for the question so I can make the same song immune and apparently no one else did during this game either, or it wouldn't have turned out this way. In the past, you can tell when there is more than 1 person trying to get the immunity question answered first because you will see more than 1 post with an answer and Soda or Dreamer determine who was first and which is correct. This time I did not notice that, or else I missed it.

Did it make the game less fun to play because it happened? FOR ME it certainly did BUT, again, it was well within the rules for it to happen and I or someone else could of changed it.

I guess bottom line is that under the existing rules if someone truly believes that a song is worthy of immunity the whole game, then so be it. I would like to think that none of us here would intentionally do that just to be aggravating or to prove a point because others are getting disturbed by it.

I respect WC's tenacity in keeping with it.

So bottom line for me is I don't want to see the rules changed because it has always worked and I'd hate for this one game to make it all change. Besides, I hate trying to learn new rules-you know.... old dog, new trick.

Now I want to warn you all next time we do Long Run in Survivor---I'm going for the win on Disco Strangler!!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low