Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Heaven and Hell" exclusive in The Times today

Default "Heaven and Hell" exclusive in The Times today

It was only the fact that I was travelling by train today which made me buy a paper, and look what I found!

http://www.donfelderonline.com/

From The Times
    October 12, 2007
    How The Eagles took it to the limits
    Born with a love for country rock and sweet harmonies, the Eagles fell apart in a welter of sex, drugs and bad vibes, recalled in this extract from a new book by their guitarist, Don Felder.

There was considerable rivalry between bands over which of us was having the most fun on the road. Led Zeppelin were considered to be the masters, with bands like the Rolling Stones and The Who close behind. By comparison, we were Little League, but the one area we did excel was in attracting women. We were young, famous, good-looking and rich. We were right up there on the list of rock-star scalps the groupies wanted to add to their belts.
    Glenn [Frey] once publicly described our life on the road as: “Got crazy, got drunk, got high, had girls, played music and made money.” He challenged Led Zeppelin to the claim of supreme party animals, maintaining: “We threw the greatest travelling party of the Seventies.” He was right.
    As a band, we had a policy of only ever doing two two-song encores, and after we released the album One of These Nights (1975) that was used to our advantage. While we were onstage, the road crew would scout the audience for willing participants and offer them backstage passes for what became known as the Third Encore – the party after the show.
    Later, Don [Henley] and Glenn took the system to a higher level of sophistication. Laminated passes were done away with – too indiscreet – and little buttons, with “3E” written on them in yellow English Gothic print on a black background were passed out by the handful. The message was that the Eagles were having a party and would like to invite these women back to their hotel suite. No boyfriends were invited.
    Despite the “relief” on offer, the tensions within the band continued to deepen. Everything from facial expressions to talking too much became an issue, and nerves were frayed. Don and Glenn decided they were going to take control of every aspect of the Eagles, and a lot of emotion was vented – in between the drug-taking.
    In March 1976 our record company, Asylum, released a greatest-hits album. None of us had a say in the decision. A week after its release, Eagles – Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 had sold a million copies on its way to becoming one of the biggest albums of all time (41 million sold worldwide, and counting).
    The trappings of success were ours by now, especially when we went on the road again for a 26-city tour. We took Lear jets the way other people took taxis. We drank champagne and snorted cocaine. Groupies were a common feature of the early parties, but Don Henley’s discrimination and discretion increased with his wealth. He began dating high-class, high-profile women and would arrange to have them come out on the road one after another, because the quality of groupies for the 3E parties was very inconsistent from town to town. During what he considered the weakest part of the tour he’d import girls from LA. Glenn did this too.
    After two serious relationships ended with the woman leaving him, Don began a two-year on-off relationship with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac, who were on the road as much as we were. He began paying for her to be flown between Eagles and Fleetwood Mac gigs, engendering the band’s new catchphrase: “Love ’em and Lear ’em.”
    I blame the drugs more than anything for what happened with the Eagles. We went from a bunch of young guys hanging out together to five men who couldn’t stand each other. Not that I was going to complain at the time. I honestly didn’t know how much I had in the bank back then. I was a rock’n’roll star, and the business managers could see to the cash flow.
    The final recording and editing of the Hotel California album took place at Criteria Studios, Miami. Fresh rifts began to open up. In the words of Glenn Frey, “No one can suck the fun out of a room faster than Don Henley.” But his perfectionism undoubtedly worked; thanks to Don and his insistence on doing everything just so, we produced probably our most brilliant studio album. But the process was sometimes difficult to live with.
    In between takes, Don had become a prolific letter-writer. In one he composed to the studio maid, he insisted that the floral toilet paper be put on the roll the other way around so it rolled off the top, pointing out that if it was meant to come off the bottom, the little pink flowers would have been printed on the undersides of the sheets. Where you would see them.
    We endured seven quarrelsome months in Miami, broken only by a concert tour. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally delivered an album that continues to dominate the hearts of America. On January 14, 1977, three weeks after its release, we kicked off a world tour. Aside from snatched moments of happiness, however, the gruelling nature of what we were doing took its toll. In Montreal, when there was a screw-up on a hotel reservation, Don blamed our long-time road manager, Richie Fernandez, and ordered him to be fired. This led the rest of the crew, already unhappy with the atmosphere, to dub it the Prison California tour. “The Gods”, as Glenn and Don were called behind their backs, were taking the reins, and those that opposed them were either expelled or driven out. In 18 months I’d lost my two best friends in the band – Bernie [Leadon], that fiery streak of brilliance [who left after One of These Nights], and gentle Randy Meisner, the sweetest man in the music business [who quit after the release of Hotel California].
    In the summer of 1979 we were back to the grindstone in Miami. In September our album The Long Run was released. It took 18 months to record, almost a year longer than Hotel California, and it nearly killed us. It debuted at No 1, but the critics savaged it. Instead of resting, as we should have done, we played Japan, Hawaii, the East Coast and the Southern states, before embarking on another world tour. In Japan, I bought my wife Susan a beautiful kimono, hand-embroidered, in heavy material. Don Henley bought 20.
    The new decade began with us at the top of the charts. But nonstop touring was getting us all down. After each show, we’d head off to our individual hotel rooms. Only when the stage lights came on were we a unified rock’n’roll band.
    Then Glenn committed us to playing a benefit gig at the Long Beach Arena on July 31, 1980, for the reelection of the liberal California senator Alan Cranston, a night that would become known as “Long Night at Wrong Beach”.
    Glenn knew I wasn’t comfortable with a rock band doing a show for politicians. His hostility was compounded when Mrs [Norma] Cranston walked up to me backstage to say hello just before we went onstage. “Hello,” I replied. “Nice to meet you . . .” As she walked away, I added, under my breath: “I guess.”
    Glenn heard this. He found me in the dressing room and started yelling at me. I don’t know if it was the drugs, or the fact that we’d been on tour for so long, but he just blew up. Just before we stepped onstage I turned to him and said: “You know, Glenn, what you just did back there? You’re an asshole for doing that.”
    He replied: “That’s an honour, coming from you.”
    We walked onstage, and he came over while we were playing The Best of my Love and said: “F*** you. I’m gonna kick your ass when we get off the stage.” Neither of us really wanted to be there that night, and for me it was one gig too many. As the night progressed, we both grew angrier and began hissing at each other under our breath. The sound technicians feared the audience might hear our outbursts, so they lowered Glenn’s microphone until he had to sing. He approached me after every song to rant, rave, curse – and let me know how many songs remained before our fight.
    When we came offstage and were waiting to be called back for the first encore I stayed by myself, trying to calm down. Then I remembered something [the Eagles’ multi-instrumentalist] Joe Walsh would do to release tension. I told my guitar tech, Jimmy Collins: “Take that s***** acoustic guitar I play on Lyin’ Eyes and put it by the back door.”
    When the gig finished, most of the band took off in their limos – anything to get away from the atmosphere between Glenn and me. I thought I’d be the last to leave the building. I towelled myself down and headed for the back door. Seeing the guitar Jimmy had put out for me, I took a deep breath, picked it up – and smashed it as hard as I could against a concrete column.
    By the time I’d finished it was kindling on the floor. I turned and saw the Cranstons standing right behind me, their mouths agape. A few feet away stood a stony-faced Glenn. This had had little or nothing to do with the Cranstons, but Glenn thought I did that right in front of them to drive it up his butt.
    “Typical of you to break your cheapest guitar,” Glenn told me after the Cranstons had hurried off to their car. Afraid of what I might do if I opened my mouth to respond, I jumped into my limo and sped off.
    Within a few days, I’d cooled down. The phone rang. It was our producer, Bill Szymczyk. “What’s the schedule for the band?” I asked.
    A small silence fell. “There is no band at this time,” he said. It was 1980, and the Eagles were history.
    © Don Felder, 2007
    Extracted from Heaven and Hell by Don Felder, to be published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson on November 1 (£20) A new album by the Eagles, Long Road out of Eden, is released by Polydor on Oct 29
    10/12/2007

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Got that on a google alert, too - but I hadn't looked at it so far.
    Thanks for posting that GEF (and reminding me)!!

Anyway ... I think that can only be a rough summary, I mean what else is new??? This is Eagles from '74 to '80 in a hurry, this couldn't be much more than a blurb.
    We'll have stars to wish on every single night
    We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting that GEF. Well - I hate to be negative, but I am not surprized reading this. I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know! Hopefully, there will be more insight in other parts of the book.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Surely this is a precis, not a verbatim extract. If it's verbatim he's crammed the four biggest years of the band's career into about a page and a half.

Assuming it's a precis.... what is with telling the hoary old 'Don and the toilet paper' story yet again? I first read that in 1979. Felder was there. Surely he could have come up with something more interesting or varied than that. Then he quotes something Glenn said in an interview. Again, can he not do better than that?

His account of the breakup gig is reasonably honest. I can see, however, why Glenn was so angry with him. Perhaps it was wrong for Glenn to carry on the way he did on stage, but I think he'd had enough. Felder appeared to start it by being rude to the Cranstons and then by what he said to Glenn. No, no, NO.

It's been rehashed from both the Shapiro and Eliot books. As I say, I sincerely hope that this is just to give a 'feel' for it and has not been lifted direct, because if it has, it is not worth the effort, and it is almost impossible to see that Felder himself has had any input into it.

I think it's fair to say that quite possibly the only innocent Eagle in the whole breakup was probably Timothy. lol Possibly Joe......not a whole lot seems to be said about him.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Thanks for posting this, GEF. An "interesting" read, at least for me who don't know much about "behind the scenes" back then. For instance I've never heard the story about Don and the toilet paper.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for posting that gef. Most of it we've heard before, so I hope, like everyone else, that he has more to say than this rehashing of old news.

So, can we here in the US order this through Amazon UK? How does that work?

Ok, anyone with a "3E" button, raise your hand!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Ordering through amazon.co.uk is exactly the same as ordering through amazon.com. The order will be in pounds but on your credit card statement it will be in American dollars.

I have had two emails from them telling me my delivery date has been pushed back to the end of October, but after reading that 'extract' I really am not bothered.

And yes, I know that not everyone has heard the 'toilet paper' story but I was around at the time, and I speak for myself, and I give a very loud yawn.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I know FP, that must be very boring for you to read since you and others here are fans for many many years.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I also pre-ordered the book from Amazon.uk.com, but I haven't gotten any emails about a change in delivery date. However, when I track the item, I notice my estimated delivery date has been changed from Oct. 18 - Oct. 22 to Oct. 22 - Oct. 25. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if the date changes again. Oh well, unless it's really horrible, I'll probably read it anyway even if it is the same old crap. After all, how will I know it's the same old crap if I don't read it. I am hopeful that he has some new stuff to tell though, especially about things after the resumption. There's not a lot of information out about that time period.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016