Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Randy's discography

Default Re: Randy's discography

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Since track #10 ("What's the Matter, Please")

My guess is that this was recorded in '78-'79 after Randy left the Eagles. Was it awkward working with Timothy? Maybe at that point Randy sympathized with him.

Ha! Just funny.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Timmy's voice is very clear on the title track. Randy is unmistakeable on "Come On," singing incredibly high.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thanks to guitarist Waddy Wachtel, all the people of the Earth now know which tracks on Richie Furay's 1979 solo album Randy sang back-up on:
    http://waddywachtelinfo.com/RichieFuray.html

P.S. In his own discography, Waddy also lists a 1976 solo album by one Allan Rich. Surely this is Charlie Allan Rich, Jr. who went on to perform and record with Randy as part of Meisner Rich & Swan. http://waddywachtelinfo.com/AllanRich.html

Circles within circles.
    Track #6 I Still Have Dreams -- Bass featured heavily, especially the intro.
    I just have to wonder, even being a very good and renowned bassist in his own right, how the celebrated Leland Sklar might have felt there in the studio with Randy Meisner and Timothy B. Schmit standing so close and, presumably, watching him a lot of the time ! Did he feel the pressure? I think that I would have, for sure! (I mean, if I played, which I don't.) Lol...of course, Timothy and Randy respected Leland. He's a legend, too.
    (I presume they did record in the same studio together in those days, as opposed to the digital generation and their way of laying down tracks that are emailed back and forth much of the time. Not that that's an entirely bad thing, I guess. I'm just sayin'.)
    Last edited by LuvTim; 03-29-2017 at 03:29 PM.

I think you're right, LT, about them recording together in the studio, especially the vocals.

I thought Timothy's voice was prominent on the first song; I didn't hear Randy as much. On the others I could hear them both. They sound really great together. I'll have to give these songs another listen when I have time.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The Meistro Randy Meisner played bass on one track of Danny O'Keefe's 1975 album "So Long Harry Truman." That song is called "Steel Guitar" and dig these all-star credits:

“Steel Guitar”
    Glenn Frey: guitar
    Randy Meisner: bass
    Don Henley: drums
    David Lindley: lap steel guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ayEaoOq0g
    NMB, you're such a great Randy detective! I see the YT link you provided for "Steel Guitar" lists Mike Leech as the bassist. I know you can't always rely on the credits given on YT, though. I have found them wrong in the past.

Good to know about Mac Gayden, thanks!
    Ok, I viewed this again and realized that the credits on the YT clip are general to the album and not specific to the track itself. When I looked up Danny O'Keefe's website, the credits are just as NMB listed for "Steel Guitar." It's a good track BTW. I appreciate the heads-up about it. Nice job, Eagles!

I love Randy's backing vocals and bass work on this track from the "Rudy the Fifth" album with Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band. The song is "Feel So Good." There's also some great pics of Rick here although none of the band members. I'm not sure who sings that lone high note around the 2:46 mark but I think it's Randy.

[ame]http//m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRi5R5zf70[/ame]

Hey kids! It's time to update Randy's extensive discography - and Timmy's too, as it turns out. In 1983, both of the beautiful bassists contributed backing vocals to the second solo album of Glenn Shorrock, former member of the Little River Band. You'll notice that both dudes sang on several of the same tracks. They sure crossed paths a lot, Tim 'n Randy. Was it intentional, were they buds? Or just both in demand as session singers? We do not know.

In the January 1983 Billboard article that wizardess Delilah found, it mentioned that Randy had done a self-financed three month tour, playing 50 dates around the country. He was the headliner for most of those shows, except for 13 where he opened for the Little River Band. Was Glenn still with LRB at that point? I don't think so.

EDIT: aw, snap - Photobucket won't show my image. Why are they such cretins? Well, who needs 'em. Pffft.

The album's title is "Villain of the Peace." Randy and Tim sang on the title track as well as "A Cry in a Jungle Bar" and "Angry Words."

Cool NMB, I'll have to look into this. I didn't know who Glenn Shorrock was.

Didn't Randy say Timothy kept following him around, lol. I'm under the impression they were on friendly terms and probably couldn't help but run into each other back then being they were both ex-Eagles bass players with similar resumes.

I thought Glenn toured with LRB later in the 80s. There was some video of them performing together on YT but I don't know if it's still there (and thanks for the kind words ).

Cool NMB, I'll have to look into this. I didn't know who Glenn Shorrock was.
    He was the lead singer of the Little River Band, whom Glenn Frey called "the best singing band in the world." They were indeed excellent harmony singers, but no slouches in the songwriting department neither, IMO.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9nnCc0jlA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9nnCc0jlA[/ame]

It is interesting how RM and TBS kept showing up together.

And who doesn't enjoy some LRB?

Thanks for all this fun stuff, ladies! You rock!