Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's discography

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Randy's discography

I'm currently reading Richie Furay's autobiography (I find it very interesting, despite knowing precious little about Mr. Furay or his music). He mentions that both Randy and Timothy B. contributed vocals to his 1979 solo album, "I Still Have Dreams" - he doesn't specify which songs though.

Furay was never close with Randy - he thought he was "a bit off-center" and didn't fit into the Poco family - so perhaps his involvement was a suggestion of producer Val Garay, who went on to produce Randy's 1980 album, One More Song. Randy later said Garay had been wanting to work with him "for a few years."

One thing that Furay states (more than once) in his book is that Randy's bass tracks and backing vocals were erased from the first Poco album after he abruptly quit the group. I had previously read elsewhere that while Randy's vocals were erased, they kept his bass tracks. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to weigh in!
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 04-29-2015 at 03:56 PM.

I finally got around to buying Rick Nelson's "Live at the Troubadour" album (actually CD) and was very surprised and impressed to see that Randy Meisner produced the record with Rick Nelson. Randy of course was the bassist and back-up vocalist in the Stone Canyon Band. So add another credit to his resume. He was only 23 or 24 at the time.

There is also a documentary film of Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band's 1969 tour called "Easy to Be Free." Short bits of it are on YouTube but I'm hoping some kind soul will upload the whole thing. Here are the first 3+ minutes of the film, which includes vintage footage of the Troubadour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzaMPf5ds1U

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thanks, D.J. I'll probably end up buying an old vinyl copy of that album because the internet sources for credits are so unreliable. Or if you have the time/inclination, would you check your CD again and report back which songs Randy sings on? Thank you.

While we're waiting, let's enjoy a baby-faced Mr. Meisner in striped trousers and a fringey cape (hey it was 1969!), backing up Rick Nelson on "She Belongs to Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqYxTg-0aTo
    He sang backup on the Souvenirs Album. Joe played guitar and Don and Glenn sang back up as well. And actually it says Joe produced the album and played on 10 0f the tracks.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I finally got around to buying Rick Nelson's "Live at the Troubadour" album (actually CD) and was very surprised and impressed to see that Randy Meisner produced the record with Rick Nelson. Randy of course was the bassist and back-up vocalist in the Stone Canyon Band. So add another credit to his resume. He was only 23 or 24 at the time.

There is also a documentary film of Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band's 1969 tour called "Easy to Be Free." Short bits of it are on YouTube but I'm hoping some kind soul will upload the whole thing. Here are the first 3+ minutes of the film, which includes vintage footage of the Troubadour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzaMPf5ds1U
    Thanks so much for posting MightMistBlue...

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Banned

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Charlie Rich Jr worked with Randy for a few years with Black Tie and Meisner, Swan, Rich. He also attended a very Early Eagles show supporting Yes. Walsh was a mutual friend. Who would a thought it

http://www.charlierichjr.com/friends/randy/

Hi, guys. I've been reading this thread and following all the links to Randy. Enjoyed it tremendously! Thanks!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Charlie Rich Jr worked with Randy for a few years with Black Tie and Meisner, Swan, Rich. He also attended a very Early Eagles show supporting Yes. Walsh was a mutual friend. Who would a thought it

http://www.charlierichjr.com/friends/randy/
    Thanks, that's interesting.

You can see how the Eagles way of doing things continued in solo careers. Not just Glenn and Henley but also Randy, Felder and even Joe. It seems they all learned a degree of discipline by working together.

"He told me that in the early days of The Eagles, the record label didn't know what to do with them. They had them opening for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin." That was one of Randy's pre-Eagles bands, The Poor, who opened for the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Salvation Club in New York City in 1967.

Stuck on the Border

Impressive to open for those two, but back in 1967 I guess Hendrix and Joplin wouldn't have been big names, either.

It seem like the management didn't know what to do with the Eagles, either, if you go by the bands they opened for. Maybe Randy told both stories and they got merged along the way.

Hendrix was just starting to create a sensation when the Poor opened for his band. In fact, the crowd response to Jimi was so intense that the club's management decided they didn't need the opening act after all and dismissed The Poor. They were contracted for five performances but only did one or two - the band had to physically threaten the club's manager to get their money.

The Poor had the same management as the Buffalo Springfield, but just never managed to break through for some reason. Several band members (including Randy of course) went on to play in Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band, so they were certainly very talented musicians.

LuvTim, thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you're enjoying this thread.