Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's discography

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Randy's discography

The Meistro Randy Meisner played bass on one track of Danny O'Keefe's 1975 album "So Long Harry Truman." That song is called "Steel Guitar" and dig these all-star credits:

“Steel Guitar”
    Glenn Frey: guitar
    Randy Meisner: bass
    Don Henley: drums
    David Lindley: lap steel guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ayEaoOq0g

Sweet Randy is credited with vocals on Mac Gayden's 1976 album "Hymn to the Seeker" but it doesn't say which song(s); maybe it's all of 'em?
    http://www.macgayden.com/MacMainPage_content.html

Interestingly, Mr. Gayden co-wrote the perennial, much-covered classic "Everlasting Love". He wrote part of it when he was five. I mean pffft.

NMB, you're such a great Randy detective! I see the YT link you provided for "Steel Guitar" lists Mike Leech as the bassist. I know you can't always rely on the credits given on YT, though. I have found them wrong in the past.

Good to know about Mac Gayden, thanks!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    "Hot stuff from Scottsbluff" -- I love that!

Thank you for the info about Electric Range; I'm continually impressed by the talents of our Mr. Meisner. I'll have to check it out some more, esp. the tracks where he plays bass and sings backup.
    Randy played bass on one track (Black Satin) and contributed harmony vocals on Ridin' Down the Canyon, Sailing Home and Far Away.

Cool, thanks, I'll go to iTunes to check them out again; I'll probably end up downloading them at any rate.

I've been grooving on The Poor album this afternoon. I wonder why Randy never sang lead? Not even on his own song, the gorgeous ballad "Come Back Baby." It could have been a confidence thing, but he was the lead singer for his first band for years, so ... He's a mystery, that boy.

Does he not sing lead on She's Got the Time (She's Got the Changes)? I don't have the liner notes since I downloaded it from iTunes. I'm pretty sure he sings co-lead on Feelin' Down; that definitely sounds like him.

The L.A. scene may have seemed really new to him; perhaps he felt a bit out of his element and didn't want to cause waves.

No, that's not Randy singing lead on the groovy "She's Got the Time, She's Got the Changes." I'm assuming that is John Day who was their lead singer - I think - from 1966 to '67. "She's Got the Time" charted at #133 in April 1967. Day was fired after the group had a disastrous engagement in NYC that summer, attempting to open for the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

I think Randy Naylor also sang some leads, but I'm not sure. There is so little information on the band, it's a shame.

To me, it doesn't sound like John Day, either, if he's the one singing lead on "Once Again", "How Many Tears" and "Come Back Baby." Are you going by the liner notes? I think Randy Naylor may be the one singing "Love is Real."

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Someone has isolated Randy's vocals and bass and Henley's drums on "Try and Love Again":

https://www.facebook.com/meisnettes/?fref=nf

Sorry I have to link to the whole Facebook page that has posted the recording, as I don't know what else to do to share it.