Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Well I thought I'd glance through my mp3 list, but starting with Z.

I haven't really got any ZZ Top but Warren Zevon, I've got tonnes.

Glenn was the only Eagle not involved in Zevon's last album but I actually got 20 tracks Glenn could do IMHO.
    Some Eagles played on a few of these:

Backs Turned Looking Down The Path
    Basket Case
    Battleship Chains
    Boom Boom Mancini
    Carmelita
    Detox Mansion
    Disorder In The House
    Excitable Boy
    Finishing Touches
    Gorilla You're A Desperado
    Hasten Down The Wind
    Join Me In LA
    Lawyers Guns And Money
    Mama Couldn't Be Pursauded
    Mr Bad Example
    Poor Poor Pitiful me
    Reconsider Me
    She's Too Good For Me
    Similar To Rain
    Suzie Lightning
    The Rest Of The Night

Not so easy with Van Morrison
    You do know he has sung Werewolves Of London, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4fsNAEbR4

I thought the 'screen'would appear if I removed the s from http but it hasn't.

The thought of him singing Boom Boom Mancini has me salivating. There are a handful of outstanding rock songs about boxers which I love & that is one of them (the others are The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel & Song for Sonny Listen by MK). I would also agree about Reconsider Me & The Rest of the Night, perhaps. Or Searching For A Heart. Love songs can be edgy. Renegade? Mutineer?

Something like You Make Me Feel So Free or Bright Side Of The Road might work, although they are love songs. The problem with Morrison is that his non love songs seem far too personal to be sung by anyone else.

Banned

Default Re: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

Henley's already done a Reggae-fied Searching For A Heart. I forgot Glenn had done Werewolves. Pretty good. Thanks for the link.

I'm glad people like Glenn have taken up the mantle of singing Warren's songs now that he can't do them himself.

I don't see Glenn as a Renegade or a Mutineer and I'm not sure that he's the type of singer to adopt a persona to deliver a lyric.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Henley's already done a Reggae-fied Searching For A Heart. I forgot Glenn had done Werewolves. Pretty good. Thanks for the link.

I'm glad people like Glenn have taken up the mantle of singing Warren's songs now that he can't do them himself.

I don't see Glenn as a Renegade or a Mutineer and I'm not sure that he's the type of singer to adopt a persona to deliver a lyric.
    What did he do in Smuggler's Blues, then? What did he do in Same Girl to a lesser extent? I am trying to get away from this cliché that he couldn't sing songs like that.

I was referring to the sound of those particular songs, not literally to the title. This is just a metaphor.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/mutineer-...ren-zevon.html

Renegade was just a suggestion but it's about a Confederate veteran; and yet Tommy Shaw wrote it, not Zevon, and Zevon wasn't a southerner either. You don't have to fit the persona to be able to sing about it convincingly.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-09-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Banned

Zevon did write Renegade or at least the Renegade on his Mr Bad Example album.

I think both Renegade and Mutineer are partly about being an outsider. I'm sure Glenn could sing them great but I don't see Glenn adopting a song about being an outsider.

According to the History Of The Eagles documentary, smuggling and narcotics, he has some experience of.

I love to hear Glenn singing guitar rock but I think the days of belting out The Heart Is On and Heartache Tonight are sadly, behind him.

Stuck on the Border

I will pass over the sarcastic comment about smuggling & repeat that you don't have to have first hand experience of something to sing about it.

He still sings THIO & HT. He has just rearranged them somewhat.

I am done with this as I am not prepared to continue arguing over nothing.

Border Desperado

So here is a completely off the wall one borne from me having too much time listening to music on a long road trip in the car this week.

I went back and forth listening to the Eagles early records and Led Zeppelin's records, knowing that there was an overlap in producers (Glynn Johns) at an early point in the Eagles career. I also played Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven back to back a few times as I had heard HTC referred to as the American Stairway to Heaven.

I listened to a led zeppelin's Stairway to heaven which then became an Eagle's became a debate in my head "whose voice in the Eagles, would be better suited?"

Glenn Frey came to mind nearly immediately. Don Henley not so much. Joe Walsh guitar, totally. I was thinking if I ever had the chance I would ask them, if they had ever covered the song in a soundcheck.

Banned

There's a recording of Joe playing the intro appregio to Stairway To Heaven before launching into a 20 minute version of Turn To Stone in about 1972.

I've never really liked Robert Plant's voice, so I've never really taken to Led Zeppelin. I'd take Glenn or Don over Robert Plant practically every time and as Don says, they don't feel the need to have their shirt unbuttoned to the waist.

Apparently, one of the reasons the Eagles came to England to work with Glynn Johns is because Don Henley believed Glynn would make him sound like John Bonham.

Joe's early band The James Gang, tried to emulate Led Zep with the track, Woman. That's Joe trying to sing like Robert Plant. It was quite a crowd favourite.

The James Gang performed Woman a few times during their last reunion tour in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IYumh5BUY

Stuck on the Border

I hear "Get You in the Mood" as an Eagles attempt to emulate Led Zeppelin. He coudn't match Plant's shrieking but for a quieter song like Stairway to Heaven, Glenn might make a good efffort.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Zanny Kingston View Post
    So here is a completely off the wall one borne from me having too much time listening to music on a long road trip in the car this week.

I went back and forth listening to the Eagles early records and Led Zeppelin's records, knowing that there was an overlap in producers (Glynn Johns) at an early point in the Eagles career. I also played Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven back to back a few times as I had heard HTC referred to as the American Stairway to Heaven.
    First thing I have to say is great choice of music for a road trip.

I like the description of Hotel California as the American Stairway To Heaven, they have quite a bit in common. Both have a longer than usual acoustic introduction, are well known for their cryptic lyrics and feature legendary guitar solos. I personally consider both to be among the greatest songs of classic rock. At risk of getting side tracked, I would say that there also some strong parallels between Hotel California and Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb - Comfortably Numb doesn't have cryptic lyrics or an acoustic introduction but it is about 6 and a half minutes in length, has two similar choruses (but with variations) and the closing guitar solo - again considered to be one of the greatest in rock history - is about two minutes in length, comparable to the combined length of the solos on Hotel California.

I love Robert Plant's voice myself, but I can understand why some people just find him annoying. There are singers who many people love but who I feel that way about (Bono's voice spoils a few 1980-87 U2 songs for me). I'm with F50 about the shirts though...

I agree that Get You In The Mood has a bit of a Led Zeppelin/Robert Plant vibe to it. It reminds me of bluesy Zep songs, particularly What Is And What Should Never Be from II, especially at the end of the last verse when Glenn sings 'sleeping next to some other man' (which significantly not only sounds a bit like Plant but also sounds like the sort of lyrics he'd sing on their early songs).

One Led Zeppelin song I would like to hear the Eagles do would be Over The Hills And Far Away. The original has got a good mix of acoustic and electric guitar but would offer something different from a largely acoustic ballad like Thank You. I must admit the voice I hear in my head for that song is Don's however.

As an aside, I've repeatedly seen Led Zeppelin's Down By The Seaside described as country rock. I really don't get this, it doesn't sound like Tequila Sunrise or Peaceful Easy Feeling to me, it's more like New Kid In Town (soft/mellow rock featuring prominent keyboards as well as guitars).

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

An interesting road trip, Zanny!

I love both the legendary STH and HC and agree there are lots of similarities between two of the best rock and roll songs of all time. However, unlike the Eagles, I have to say that Stairway to Heaven is the only Zepplin song that I love. Purely speculating on which Eagles' voice is better suited for the song, I would also agree Glenn's would probably work best. I don't know if he still has the power in his voice to pull it off today, but I think Glenn could have very effectively sang Robert's 'shrieking' at the end back in his younger days. I'm thinking of the ending of Outlaw Man and, to a lesser extent, James Dean, and also the 'Yow' in Smuggler's Blues. It's also possible that Joe's vocals would work, although I'm not sure he has the power in his pipes to pull off the ending. I personally don't think the song is very well suited to Don's or Tim's voices or styles, but you never know.

On the other hand, realizing my bias in not being a Zepplin fan, the thought of Robert singing Hotel California makes me cringe. However, part of that, may be for the same reason that I feel Don's voice isn't a good fit for STH. I just don't think their two voices are very compatible.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016