Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still the Same - Bob Seger

Stuck on the Border

I agree with pretty much all that Soda said and feel I can't really add to it.

Thanks for the kind words about the analysis. I do that kind of thing for Renaissance poetry, why not do it for song lyrics?

And glad you like the av, guys! There's something about Glenn's stance and the attitude he's conveying there that really strikes me. I think I'll keep it for a while!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow, Soda, thank you for the lyrics of this song and your analysis. I've only watched your slideshow about three times, and didn't catch all the lyrics while I was watching, so I didn't really think about it that deeply. I got a positive impression of the lyrics initially - Bob gives me the idea that he admires Glenn very much - but now that I've read your analysis, I can agree with your deeper insight. I admit I'll have to think about it more, and get my head around the lyrics, which are brilliant, IMHO.

I must say, though, that if Glenn found it difficult to commit to any one person romantically or with regards to friendship in his youth, then I can't blame him. When one gets one's heart broken when so young, it could scar one for life, resulting in loneliness later in life, when one really needs to settle with a mate. However, having said that, from what I've read, I reckon Glenn committed himself to Don as a friend, as well as the other Eagles members, despite their ups and downs, and probably walked away from the band due to his being so hurt at how everything turned out - that they had resorted to fisticuffs to ease their frustrations. I was in a similar position with my previous band: after a very close relationship with all members (all men), things became extremely strained after two years, and I decided to just walk away, before I got hurt anymore. Am I making any sense? (It's been a long week...)

I also love your av, by the way.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

You are definitely making sense, Mrs. F. And even if this is indeed about Glenn, Seger's perceptions of him could be off.

Thanks, Soda, I'm glad to know it. Glenn does not strike me as an insincere person - on the contrary! I can't imagine that he would have played people, even when he was young and ambitious. I think he always valued people's friendships, and what they've meant to him in his life. This became no more apparent to me than when I watched his 1992 interview with Bob Costas. He spoke so glowingly about Bob Seger and Don Henley, and even Don Felder (which is amazing considering their history and that this was two years before the Eagles reunited - or "resumed", as Glenn would prefer putting it), making a point of giving credit where credit is due regarding Felder's contribution to "Hotel California".

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

I found this on songfacts.com. Re: Still the Same...

Seger: "It was just Chris Campbell (bass) David Teegarden (drums) and me in the studio when we cut this. People have asked me for years who this is about. It's an amalgam of characters I met when I first went to Hollywood. All 'Type A' personalities, overachieving, driven." (thanks, Ken - LaSalle, Canada)

I have no idea as to the accuracy of the site or the quote. It would make sense as far as the conflicting aspects go for it to be about more than just Glenn. He was(is) certainly driven and I'll venture to say he is likely "type A". But this way we can choose to believe any negative is about someone else and only the positive is about Glenn. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    Thanks, Soda, I'm glad to know it. Glenn does not strike me as an insincere person - on the contrary! I can't imagine that he would have played people, even when he was young and ambitious. I think he always valued people's friendships, and what they've meant to him in his life. This became no more apparent to me than when I watched his 1992 interview with Bob Costas. He spoke so glowingly about Bob Seger and Don Henley, and even Don Felder (which is amazing considering their history and that this was two years before the Eagles reunited - or "resumed", as Glenn would prefer putting it), making a point of giving credit where credit is due regarding Felder's contribution to "Hotel California".
    I know it's hard to imagine Glenn doing such negative things, but when you're young sometimes you don't see things with as clear a perspective as when youre older. Nowadays he's a sweetheart, but in the past, with the drugs and all... I mean, it's understandable if occasionally he might have been a bit of a fast-talker, you know what I mean? Not too terribly bad, but a bit of one.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is true, PLS and Soda. And I think it is well-documented how much I love the man. However, I have to say that I really don't kid myself into thinking that he ever was an angel. I definitely think he probably has become a lot more sensitve, caring, and responsible with age and maturity, but by his own admission, he didn't always treat everyone nice back in the day. I also don't think he was an evil, bad person back then either - just young, ambitious, cocky, inexperienced, and immature (not to mentioned his chemically-altered brain, as Soda said). As I said earlier, I think he had the best and the worst of many of the traits described in the song. But, the fact that he matured and grew so much as a person is part of why I admire him like I do. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016