Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be in studio on the Dan Patrick Show 4/22/2015

Default Re: Glenn to be in studio on the Dan Patrick Show 4/22/2015

None of us go around saying "I'm listening to a song by Eagles." Whether or not "the" is officially part of the band name is irrelevant; they picked a name that is also a common noun, and therefore grammatically, it sounds unnatural to omit the article in the sentence when using it. Glenn himself uses the article the vast majority of the time for this reason - just watch the very interview this thread is about to see that. I'm sure VA is right in that there have been occasions where he hasn't; I imagine those were occasions where it sounded natural grammatically to omit the article. Those occasions are rare, however, in the English language.

I just don't capitalize "the" in order to acknowledge the fact that the band's name is officially "Eagles" without the article, since this issue is apparently important enough to them to make it onto a tshirt!

Funnily enough, the two photographers who did the Eagles' first two photo shoots (Diltz and Elder) had this same conversation on the "Under the Covers" documentary 20 years ago. This has been a matter of great concern for a while.

Now, about the interview, when Glenn says you have to write every day if you're going to write songs, do you think he means that's what he's doing now, or do you think he means he can't do that now? I hope it's the former!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

At least with the singing, it was Glenn's solo songs and even when they played an Eagles song, it was "Take it Easy". It showed an appreciation of him beyond Eagles (it feels so wrong to omit "the").

Why do you think Glenn did this? Is he trying to repair the damage done to his image by the doc/Felder? That nice, funny man couldn't possibly be the monster that Felderites like to revile. If that's the plan, I hope he does many more.

As I was listening to the first hour of the show and the talk of some young football star with problems I was hoping they'd ask Glenn for his thoughts on the pressures on young sportsmen as compared to young rock stars in the 70s. I'd been afraid that a US sports show would be like a foreign language but it's really just gossiping about sports and that's universal.

I liked the grey in the hair around the sideburns, and noted how his lashes curled in the profile shots. I disagree with VA about the turtleneck - I think it's flattering.

I hope he means that about being a songwriter and that he spends a few hours each day on his writing. That kind of discipline could also bode well for his book.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm sure VA is right in that there have been occasions where he hasn't; I imagine those were occasions where it sounded natural grammatically to omit the article. Those occasions are rare, however, in the English language.
    If it had sounded totally natural, I wouldn't have picked it out, so...

I had started abbreviating the documentary and tour to be HOtE, then realized if I'm going to do that, then 'of' shouldn't be capitalized, either. HoeT looks funny, so I'm sticking with all caps.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

HotE doesn't look so bad. Afterall they are hotties.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    HotE doesn't look so bad. Afterall they are hotties.
    Good One.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I just don't capitalize "the" in order to acknowledge the fact that the band's name is officially "Eagles" without the article, since this issue is apparently important enough to them to make it onto a tshirt!
    Funnily enough, the two photographers who did the Eagles' first two photo shoots (Diltz and Elder) had this same conversation on the "Under the Covers" documentary 20 years ago. This has been a matter of great concern for a while.
    I remember, in the doc about the rise of the singer/songwriter, Steve Martin recalling that Glenn had told him that the name was "Eagles", not "The Eagles". Steve added that he thought it should be the latter.

Now, about the interview, when Glenn says you have to write every day if you're going to write songs, do you think he means that's what he's doing now, or do you think he means he can't do that now? I hope it's the former!
    Don't worry Soda! I think that writing every day is the formula that Glenn has found that has worked for him over the years. I have read & heard him talk about this numerous times & not just in recent times. I think it goes along with his belief that you "have to show up". In other words do the work. I didn't take from what he said in that interview or from any he has done lately that he can't write anymore. He has indicated that he will write more. Maybe he's doing some writing for HC the musical????

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really enjoyed the interview too! Glenn looked and sounded great! I also like the bits of gray in his hair!

It will always be the Eagles for me. There are very few times where only Eagles sounds right. Sorry Glenn, if it sounds ok to you then so be it! Soda, thanks for the explanation. That did help somewhat!

On the writing, I think Glenn meant that you just can't sit down for an hour here and a half hour there and expect to write a song. You have to have a plan that like "this week I'm going to work on my writing". He can't go to his son's baseball game this afternoon and come home and write for an hour later. He designates certain time or days for it. That's my thought on it anyway!

ETA: I had to go look at the turtleneck which I didn't even notice! I don't think he has on a turtleneck. I think it's a plain undershirt under the sweater. The other guy has one on too. A turtleneck would go up higher on the neck. Most men do wear them under most shirts or sweaters unless it's warmer weather.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    ETA: I had to go look at the turtleneck which I didn't even notice! I don't think he has on a turtleneck. I think it's a plain undershirt under the sweater. The other guy has one on too. A turtleneck would go up higher on the neck. Most men do wear them under most shirts or sweaters unless it's warmer weather.
    I know it's a t-shirt Calling it a turtleneck is my way of complaining that it's hiding too much. He's got a great neck, after all, and I like when he shows it off.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I remember, in the doc about the rise of the singer/songwriter, Steve Martin recalling that Glenn had told him that the name was "Eagles", not "The Eagles". Steve added that he thought it should be the latter.

Don't worry Soda! I think that writing every day is the formula that Glenn has found that has worked for him over the years. I have read & heard him talk about this numerous times & not just in recent times. I think it goes along with his belief that you "have to show up". In other words do the work. I didn't take from what he said in that interview or from any he has done lately that he can't write anymore. He has indicated that he will write more. Maybe he's doing some writing for HC the musical????
    I don't know what he would write for that & in any case that isn't what I want him to do. I want him to write proper songs preferably for a solo album, as I think the chances of an Eagles album are next to zero.

I wasn't thinking of him doing full songs, maybe just some instrumental.

I would rather he write for his own solo album too.