Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 70s Live Shows

Border Troubadour

Default Re: 70s Live Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurette767 View Post
    I wish we had the entire DC concert. Ditto times 2000.

Still looking all over for a DVD of Kirshner or BBC. While BBC is mostly on You Tube, you know sometimes you just want to watch a show in continuity with all between-song cheers, anticipation, disarray, guitar changes, chords being plucked, or whatever. Frankly, I don't think I've seen too many of Eagles Kirshner videos on You Tube. I also hate that old 70s editing trick of the lens/frame opening up like a curtain as the song starts. It's like that on most of Eagles videos for Kirscher and as I recall other bands too. I know that's the old Kirsh trick but it's annoying here in 2015.

Finally JOE WALSH's Kirshner is so great. Just excellent through and through.
    What a coincidence, I was looking at the DC videos on YouTube just now and made a bit of a discovery, which I mentioned in the HOTE discussion thread. But yes, I agree, I would love to have the unabridged version of that night.

The window and other editing at the start of the DKRC Eagles vids on YouTube doesn't come from the original footage, it's edited in to avoid copyright breaches since the uploader has no rights to display it, and the Eagles are slightly infamous for their dislike of things like that. You may want to check out this [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Earlybirds-DVD-NTSC/dp/B004TNNDM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431476862&sr=8-1&keywords=earlybirds+eagles[/ame] for the full DKRC performance, a concert from Holland in 1973 and all bar Out of Control from the BBC gig, in its original broadcast format.

And yes again, I too love Joe Walsh's DKRC appearance, the performance of Turn to Stone on it is sublime. Part of me wishes back in the 90s they'd hired Joe Vitale again, and not Scott (as much as I like Scott and his work).

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Given that BBC was a TV show & not a concert you will never find a version of it with all the things you would like. It was edited at the time & I strongly doubt that a 'raw' version exists.
    OK I see. So you're saying they did takes and whatnot? No wonder the clips I'm seeing are so perfect. I just thought thought they were hitting on all cylinders that night (or perhaps day).

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    The window and other editing at the start of the DKRC Eagles vids on YouTube doesn't come from the original footage, it's edited in to avoid copyright breaches since the uploader has no rights to display it, and the Eagles are slightly infamous for their dislike of things like that. You may want to check out this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Early...lybirds+eagles for the full DKRC performance, a concert from Holland in 1973 and all bar Out of Control from the BBC gig, in its original broadcast format.

And yes again, I too love Joe Walsh's DKRC appearance, the performance of Turn to Stone on it is sublime. Part of me wishes back in the 90s they'd hired Joe Vitale again, and not Scott (as much as I like Scott and his work).
    Thanks for this link and information about why those editing bars appear on You Tube these days, although I swear I remember those effects from the '70s shows, ala double exposure school portraits, fadeouts that dissolve like lava lamps, etc....But hey, when you're almost 50 the mind ..uh whaa was I saying??

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurette767 View Post
    OK I see. So you're saying they did takes and whatnot? No wonder the clips I'm seeing are so perfect. I just thought thought they were hitting on all cylinders that night (or perhaps day).
    I would think as it was made for TV, yes, there would have been more than one take of each performance .Also we are talking about the Eagles. They have been perfectionists from the beginning of their existence. They don't do spontaneity, at least not often.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Look at these sweet young things: this photo was reportedly taken on August 17, 1973 which was the date of the Central Park show. They're wearing different clothes, so one assumes this was the rehearsal.

Stuck on the Border

Is there footage from a 1973 Central Park show? I've seen some from labeled as 1972 but the facial hair is different (Bernie had a beard and Don was clean-shaven) to this photo. However, Glenn may be wearing the same jeans!

Those were Glenn's "signature" jeans in the very early days. He wore them for his Longbranch Pennywhistle shows and cover shoot as well. They seem to have been retired after 1973.

Those outfits look like what they wore for the ABC special where they do Tequila Sunrise and Earlybird. That was in 1973. Central Park was indeed in 1972. Facial hair (or the lack of it) is very helpful in confirming such dating, lol. Check out my galleries: 1972 vs 1973.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

After checking out those galleries, I wonder if this poster I bought on Ebay was a total fake-up. If the photo is from '73 it doesn't jibe with the concert date.

Banned

I can't believe the Eagles, in their first year, would be billed above 60s legends The Bee Gees and Stevie Wonder. Maybe not even Mott The Hoople.

I'd treat everything on eBay as a fake unless I knew better.

I certainly wouldn't trust the honesty of a salesmen!

I'm so gullible

At least the Kent State poster I also bought refers to an actual gig, though I suspect the poster itself (featuring the OOTN back cover photo) is a mock-up. The date is written as May 3.1975 - with a period, not a comma, which would have been very unusual in the U.S. for the time period I believe.