Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you identify the player?

Stuck on the Border

Default Could you identify the player?

There's a thread in the KISSFAQ forum where someone asked if people can tell Ace Frehley from Tommy Thayer if they don't know who's playing. I wanted to ask a similar question here...

My experience in the internet tells me that there are a lot more people who act like they can tell the difference between this and that guy than people who actually can tell the difference. "He can play the same notes as Mr. X, but he could never duplicate his style and tone" is the kind of comment the internet seems to be full of. There seem to be an awful lot of "Smith isn't Felder" people who can't even tell Don from Glenn. (ICTYW and Already Gone)

So...we have Bernie, Glenn, Don, Joe and Steuart. Could you always tell who's playing if you didn't know?

Let's ignore the fact that you can often tell who plays what if you know who's in the left, right or middle channel etc. Let's just think about the lead bits.

Let's say that you hear a live version of some country song, for example, and you know Bernie and Don were both on the stage that night. Can you tell whether it's Bernie or Don playing the solo?

You hear a rock song and there's an improvised 20-second slide guitar solo. You know that Joe, Don and Glenn were all there. Can you tell who does the slide bit?

Let's say that Don is back in the Eagles and they record a new song stylistically similar to ICTYW. Can you tell whether it's Glenn or Don playing the solo?

I know there are people on this forum who probably could always tell the difference, but I'm not one of them even though I play guitar myself.

Are you/would you always be able to tell who's playing lead?
    Last edited by chaim; 05-11-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Could you identify the player?

Good question. Sometimes I think I can tell the difference but I have no confidence. It gets even more difficult when it's accoustic.

I'd like to know who plays what on King of Hollywood. I know about the three solos and I think I can tell when it switches from Glenn to Don, but what about the other guitar parts?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

It is a good question, and you're right about people who claim they know it and then interviews by the guys prove them wrong.

The thing about people who stick together for any length of time, when they respect each other, they influence each other. Some times it's deliberate. I'm not just talking about our guys here, but I'm sure there's times, for whatever reason, someone in the band needs to have a sound like another in the band. Sometimes it's not deliberate, it just happens. A person might retain their signature 'sound' but occasionally explore someone else's.

I can't tell the difference, and to be honest, I have no wish to break it down into parts. If I was a guitar player, maybe I would, but I enjoy the sum of the parts.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I could make an educated guess, but definitively KNOW? Nope.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    The thing about people who stick together for any length of time, when they respect each other, they influence each other. Some times it's deliberate. I'm not just talking about our guys here, but I'm sure there's times, for whatever reason, someone in the band needs to have a sound like another in the band. Sometimes it's not deliberate, it just happens. A person might retain their signature 'sound' but occasionally explore someone else's.
    A VERY good point. I must admit this has never crossed my mind.

Stuck on the Border

Over the decades, different people have played the guitar parts and presumably have tried to sound much the same as the original - it's not just Steuart for Don - it's Joe for Bernie, Joe for Glenn, Don for Glenn, Don for Bernie...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Over the decades, different people have played the guitar parts and presumably have tried to sound much the same as the original - it's not just Steuart for Don - it's Joe for Bernie, Joe for Glenn, Don for Glenn, Don for Bernie...
    IMO people who play other people's solos try to make it sound as different from the original as possible. Including the Eagles people. This has always irritated me. When it's a guitar solo a bend becomes a hammer-on, a hammer-on becomes a bend and so on. But it's just how I feel about it.

I could also ask this as part of my original question: If After The Thrill Is Gone was played live now, do you think you could tell whether it's Don or Steuart playing the solo, if it could be either one? Even Don would play it slightly differently today, but I'm sure there are people who would insist that they can still recognize Don anywhere. Personally I couldn't tell.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm sure I probably couldn't tell for either one. I just don't have that 'ear' for such technicalities.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

The only time I can distinguish between Felder and Smith is on the OOTN solo, when the difference in guitar (Les Paul v. Ernie Ball I think) is rather obvious. The only time I can think of where they play differently is that Smith doesn't run up the neck after Joe in the HC outro, Felder did.

I can tell differences in style and technique that are associated with each player.

So while I could tell Walsh and Felder apart pretty easy, it'd be tougher distinguishing Smith and Felder in a blind test because they are both very smooth fluid technical players (although Stu's pinch harmonics on the HC solo give him away TBH), where as Joe is a bit more slapdash and has a real improv and loose sloppy-in-a-good-way element to him. Bernie is pretty identifiable IMO.

As far as Glenn vs Don on ICTYW - I'll be honest, it sounds like something Don would play. If I didn't know, I'd say Don played it. I associate Glenn's style more with his Already Gone and Witchy Woman solos, a bit more like Joe to be honest and not so smooth and horn like.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."