Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could you identify the player?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Could you identify the player?

No, I can't tell the difference except when I''m watching them live. I can't play guitar & I can't use the correct terms to describe anything except solos. There are parts on songs I am curious about. I did think of one recently. I probably won't be able to adequately describe it. In The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, just before the line 'she was the pride & the passion of Dixie' there is a little riff (apologies if wrong word) which sounds a bit Chuck Berry/Beach Boys. Who plays that?

I need credits to tell me who is playing what. One reason I was disappointed with LROOE was the almost complete absence of credits so I didn't know who was playing which part. I had to try & work it out from the songwriting credits i.e. that Steuart was more likely to be playing solos on songs he co-wrote, even though he's not an official member of the band. The way Joe was underused on that album.... another topic, I would guess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There are parts on songs I am curious about. I did think of one recently. I probably won't be able to adequately describe it. In The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, just before the line 'she was the pride & the passion of Dixie' there is a little riff (apologies if wrong word) which sounds a bit Chuck Berry/Beach Boys. Who plays that?

According to Glenn, that lick was played by Joe. I can't remember exactly when and where he said it but I'm sure it was an audio interview. Joe played "Surf guitar" on The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks but they took it all off, except that lick that was just too good to leave off.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I need credits to tell me who is playing what. One reason I was disappointed with LROOE was the almost complete absence of credits so I didn't know who was playing which part. I had to try & work it out from the songwriting credits
    Glenn says, as a general rule. if "x" is the singer/songwriter then "y" will play the guitar solo but there are many exceptions.

As a longtime Walsh fan I'm pretty sure I can detect Joe's guitar but probably only 80% sure without concrete proof. I'm sure there are tracks on Long Road Out Of Eden that Joe doesn't play a single note on.

I disagree that Felder could have come up with the I Can't Tell You Why solo. I think Felder's a pretty generic soloist. I haven't heard anything as tuneful and lyrical (ie. you can sing it) as ICTYW in his own work.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    According to Glenn, that lick was played by Joe. I can't remember exactly when and where he said it but I'm sure it was an audio interview. Joe played "Surf guitar" on The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks but they took it all off, except that lick that was just too good to leave off.
    I believe it was the interview that Glenn and Don Henley did with Jim Ladd around the time of the album release. My recollection was that the riff was Joe's and originally longer but they thought it was too much.

ETA: In the same interview, they talk about the ICTYW solo. Glenn says something about its simplicity being because he's not quick enough to play a lot of notes but that he aimed to write melodic guitar solos that you could sing. Since hearing that, whenever I hear a guitar solo with lots of "frills", I assume it's not Glenn.

There's a bootleg from 1974 where Felder is quite in evidence. The person who made it available had been told Felder didn't play that show but I can hear him (and Glenn names him at one point). Imo, his playing wasn't that well integrated in the band's sound at the time and he played too many notes compared with earlier versions.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-12-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for answering my question! I'm glad you knew what I meant! I have always liked that part of the song.

I honestly don't know if Felder could have written the ICTYW solo or not. The reality is that he hasn't written anything like that for any other song I can think of.

With multiple guitarists unless I am told who it is, I don't know. I really don't know who plays what in Rolling Stones songs, for example - I think Keith tends to do the riffs & Ronnie (previously Brian & Mick) the solos. With the Beatles you knew. George played lead & John played rhythm (most of the time). Sorry - this is just an aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I disagree that Felder could have come up with the I Can't Tell You Why solo. I think Felder's a pretty generic soloist. I haven't heard anything as tuneful and lyrical (ie. you can sing it) as ICTYW in his own work.
    Must strongly disagree.

Listen to OOTN solo. Easily one of the most soulful lyrical pieces of Eagles guitar work.

I find him to me a bit more fluid and smooth, and excellent phrasing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Pretty sure I could always pick out Joe. No one else plays like him

The rest...not sure

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Must strongly disagree.

Listen to OOTN solo. Easily one of the most soulful lyrical pieces of Eagles guitar work.

I find him to me a bit more fluid and smooth, and excellent phrasing.
    By his own admission, One Of These Nights is a sax solo played on guitar.

I'd love to hear Frail Grasp On The Big Picture without Steuart Smith's (I presume) over intrusive lead guitar. I just think it's over complicated and unnecessary. I'm surprised it made it through the Eagles quality control process.

Have any guitar players here, bothered to learn it?