Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite moments from the HOTE tour?

Out on the Border

Default What's your favourite moments from the HOTE tour?

Hello all, sorry if there's already a thread like this. I just thought it would be good for people to share their favourite moments or memorable things from this tour.
    I was doing some work today with the Eagles on in the background and reminiscing about some of the crazy happenings of the vacations we've had using this tour as an excuse

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: What's your favourite moments from the HOTE tour?

Will need to think about this and respond later!!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

I'll start it off then!

1. Well it's obvious isn't it? Glenn Frey meeting us for a drink in Dublin. (I should include meeting him in Boston at the elevator, him acknowledging us in MSG and Brisbane and sending me some picks in Glasgow as well here or I'll just go on and on and annoy the hell out of everyone )

2. When Timothy Schmit says his bit about when it 'all fell apart'; at most of the shows people laugh and he says 'it isn't funny'. In Glasgow he said it and everyone just went 'awwww' and he didn't know what to do. Glenn burst out laughing.

3. Looking back at the crowd singing in Dublin and Glasgow. Those two and MSG were the loudest I've witnessed. It was something else. It sounds cheesy but there's something so moving about it when everyone's singing along watching such a special band on stage.

4. The guy behind us in Glasgow who thought he was Randy Meisner and was belting out the high notes in TITTL (which even got a smirk out of Don Henley).

5. Meeting some great new people, especially Zanny and her husband who we'll be meeting up with again soon in Hartford. There's too many to mention in one post so if I haven't mentioned you here - apologies.
    Zanny I'll never forget the 'Mr Redford' moment, it still makes me laugh

6. The 'Love will keep us awake' joke in Australia.

7. The standing sections in Dublin and Amsterdam, it was such a relief not to have to sit down.

I know I've missed a lot, I'll probably edit this as I remember. I hope it makes everyone else as happy remembering and sharing their best bits

Border Troubadour

In terms of the actual concert:
    - I love the structure of the first four songs. You really do get a feel for what it was like back in 1971, the amount of detail is just correct without being too brief or superfluous. I love the choice of Saturday Night as the opener, and the reworked version of PEF is probably better than when it's a full set-up performance.
    - Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise are my favourite additions to the setlist, I'm so glad the album got recognition at last, all too often it was forgotten for what I think are lesser songs from other albums, or pretty average solo songs. I also love the background videos that accompany them, especially for Tequila Sunrise. I'm just sad the ending of the latter is abridged.
    - The working from the OTB video to the opening chords of Already Gone is very clever.
    - Best of My Love. I never was enamoured to this song before I saw it live, now I love it. So glad it's been revived after what has been a fairly odd history - their first number one and a great demonstration of their vocal ability, but never held down a setlist place, even back in the mid-70s. Also love the sound Smith gets out of just a standard electric in lieu of steel pedal, fits perfectly.
    - Having PMAIAR as the first song back is very well placed, give Joe a nice intro and obviously the first few lines work well!
    - Those Shoes. Much like BOML, never cared for it until seeing it live. The dual talkbox is very impressive.
    - Band intros - I love the extended version to include everyone. The ones on F1 feel half-baked so it's good to see it improved.

I was lucky enough to be at opening night. Seeing Bernie Leadon come out on stage with them for the first time since the mid-70s... Wow. Incredible.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

First show in DC - Like Soda, since this was my first HOTE show, seeing Bernie walk out made me very teary eyed. At the very end when they were getting ready to walk across the stage, Glenn turned and gave me the sweetest smile! Also, I met the wonderful ladies from Austria.

Seattle - I can't really pick out any one thing, but overall, it was the best concert I've ever seen. Besides being pitch perfect and instrumentally perfect, the guys interacted more with each other than they did in the first tour leg (that I saw).

Raleigh - Maybe because I don't remember a whole lot from this concert, I really remember this, and it was funny. It's impossible for me to say what happened and have it be as funny as it was in person. I wrote it in my review for the show, but when Don first speaks, he talks about how the setup for the first few songs are intended to show us what it was like back in 1971. He paused the merest moment and a lady in the center section, about seven rows back shouts out "Got any quaaludes?" Everyone who heard her laughed, and the look on Don's face was priceless. He didn't know if he should acknowledge it, and he looked like he was trying not to laugh. It made a funny moment even funnier.

Vegas (Oct. 2014) - DD/D Reprise was even more awesome than usual. I will never get enough of hearing this song live.

Many of the concerts were made extra special because I got to be with so many of my friends here on The Border. Quite a few were in cities I've never been to before, and cities I probably otherwise would have never gone to.

If I could pick any of them and time travel back to watch again, it would be the Seattle show but each of them had their special moments that I'll remember forever!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Oh goodness, okay, here we go! I had a lot of favorite little things...

-The fact that the Milwaukee date was only the second date on the entire tour was pretty special to me!
    -Hearing the songs I'd never heard live before, like Saturday Night, Train, and ESPECIALLY Pretty Maids. The Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise was also a favorite of mine.
    -Bernie. Just the fact that we all get to see Bernie with the guys is so great.
    -The video that played during Already Gone. Glenn's so silly and adorable in that!
    -Don saying "Can I get a Ya Der Hey?" before The Long Run. Too cute.
    -More of a general concert thing, but it remains one of my favorite concert moments of all time when Joe is singing RMW and goes "Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat, playin' it play by play- YOU SING IT!" And the entire crowd screams "TIME TO CHANGE THE BATTER!"
    -Those Shoes. Just... Those Shoes. Ughhhh, yes.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    -More of a general concert thing, but it remains one of my favorite concert moments of all time when Joe is singing RMW and goes "Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat, playin' it play by play- YOU SING IT!" And the entire crowd screams "TIME TO CHANGE THE BATTER!"
    He tried that in Liverpool. I literally think about five people responded (including me) I think he probably misjudged the crowd, it's not really that well-known on this side of the Atlantic.

The addition of Already Gone and Those Shoes was my favorite thing.

Already Gone, is right next to HC for the best songs they've ever done.

Those Shoes is criminally underrated and the dual talkbox is killer.

Other things were that they kept Life's Been Good IN the setlist. Also just a good show. I could have done with more songs like Victim of Love and such but all in all a good show.

I have to say the opening was a bit odd for me as I'm not that connected to that era of the band, but sitting on the cases had a casual vibe to it I dug.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

In LA, Timothy gave me his pick, and Glenns' son Otis kept having me help him find his friends, he thought they were next to me but were one section over.

In San Diego, the lady in front of me waved at Timothy when he came out, and he quietly sat down he gave her a very slow nod right as he started strumming PEF and our entire section saw it and was like, "AHHHHH!" It was seriously the most cool, rock star-dude move ever.

I had the exact same seat for both shows and will get it again if I go again! Row 5 on TBS' side, inside aisle seat. Nobody in front of me. I'm short.

DD/DR. PMAIAR. Those Shoes.

I want to meet some of my Border friends at a show.