Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite moments from the HOTE tour?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: What's your favourite moments from the HOTE tour?

Quote Originally Posted by flojo View Post
    6. The 'Love will keep us awake' joke in Australia.
    Thanks for starting this thread, Flojo, I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.

Does anyone else get the sense that Don and Glenn don't feel, ummm, a total connection to this song? Not just because of Glenn's joke, but from their demeanor on other videos, too? I feel like they needed a song for Tim to sing on HFO, so they went with this one that he'd been working on for a few years, and it turned out to be a surprise hit, and now he still sings it so he has 2 songs, but, It just seems like they don't really take it seriously. I don't blame them, it doesn't really seem like an Eagles song. The whole band clearly enjoys playing ICTYW, but this one is more like, OK,Timothy, you go sing your song. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Sometimes I feel like that's the case, MC, and sometimes I feel they are more engaged with it. I think it adds variety to the set, besides getting to hear a second lead from Timothy, as far as pace. Not everyone likes the slowness of it, but it does help set up the faster songs later.

Since they want to pretend that LROOE never happened with this setlist, I'm just glad they have a song from HFO.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Does anyone else get the sense that Don and Glenn don't feel, ummm, a total connection to this song? Not just because of Glenn's joke, but from their demeanor on other videos, too? I feel like they needed a song for Tim to sing on HFO, so they went with this one that he'd been working on for a few years, and it turned out to be a surprise hit, and now he still sings it so he has 2 songs, but, It just seems like they don't really take it seriously. I don't blame them, it doesn't really seem like an Eagles song. The whole band clearly enjoys playing ICTYW, but this one is more like, OK,Timothy, you go sing your song. Not a criticism, just an observation.
    I think if it was a Don or Glenn lead it would have vanished from the setlist very quickly, put it that way.

One of the highlights of these shows for me - and this is not just one particular show, but every show, although the first time is when I got the most emotional - is the dramatic way they present the Doolin-Dalton Desperado Reprise. It starts out slowly, but by the time they start overlapping the vocals, the entire audience is engaged. It moves me every time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I definitely agree, Soda!

The other thing I'd like to mention, and I've mentioned it in a review or two, but I like it when the audiences are 'awakened' to Joe's awesomeness on In The City. So many people think of Joe cutting loose on F49 or LITFL, or the dueling guitars on HC, or how he cuts up a bit on LBG. On this tour, he completely tears ITC up and when the song starts, I almost feel like the audience isn't always into it. They get into it about halfway through the song. I like seeing the looks of awed surprise on their faces, and when the song is over, hearing the "wow's" from those around me. I hope they do a DVD of this concert, and I hope they catch the crowd reaction on this song. The talent and the arrangement of it (including the visuals and lighting) makes a huge statement IMO.
    VK

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, Flojo, I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.

MC it's nice hearing everyone else's thoughts and moments. I agree with you about LWKUA.

Are you going to any more shows?
    It's a shame you haven't managed to bump into anyone, we've been very lucky in getting to meet up with people. It's kind of funny because 'Uncle Glenn' as I like to call him asked if we had met any other fans on our travels and at that point we hadn't, but met Zanny soon afterwards.
    We're going to Miami and Hartford, it was originally just Hartford but due to tax reasons we have to stay overseas for a couple of weeks so I cracked and bought some for Miami.

I have to agree about Desperado and DD they're overwhelming.
    In the city was never one of my favourites until I saw it performed, it's so atmospheric as is Those shoes. BOML is superb, I've ruined myself with all these live shows that the recordings just can't compare.
    Seeing Bernie with the band is great, I would have liked to have seen Randy as well, but hey we can't have it all

Yes, Flojo, both HH and I regret not finding a way to meet up with you in NYC last September. All I can offer up is that my job had me completely shellshocked at the time, and I felt hungover without even drinking anything! Hopefully, we'll still meet up sometime!!

If any of the guys were to announce solo shows that you could get to, would you travel here for those?
    VK

Border Desperado

This is a great thread!

The first show we went to was show #6 Mohegan Sun in CT- first show for DH and second for me, since I saw them in 1979! The whole experience was great, everyone was so talkative about how the Eagles impacted them and it was so great to know I was not the only one who had recorded the HOTE doc and had watched it more than once! The DOC had only been out 4.5 mnths at the time.

I was sitting second row center that night and watching Don sing BOML at that show caused me to have a "moment" there is no other way to explain it.

COLUMBUS! Last show on that leg of the tour. I was on a business trip in PA and DH flew to meet me so we could fly to Columbus OH and boy was I glad we did! The guys were loose and fun and that was the night the panties flew towards Joe on stage and a woman screamed out her love for Don to which he replied "honey you don't even know me" We still talk about how fun that show was.

BOSTON- We met Flojo and her DH and had a great time! The first borderers that we met- that we knew of anyway- though the crowd was not as lively as the group in Columbus. it was a flashback in time for me as it was the place where I first saw the Eagles as a teenager. In the City was a standout for me that night.

WALDEN WOODS SHOW BOSTON- Totally different crowd from what we had seen in the past shows-but we got to see the Eagles perform " How Long" and "Dirty Laundry"! Hung out with Flojo and her DH at this show as well! And of course "Mr. Redford"!

To think that a crappy day in February caused us to sit down and watch the HOTE doc which caused me to find this board, go to shows and meet some really great people has been an utterly amazing experience!

On to Hartford and Buffalo!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Yes, Flojo, both HH and I regret not finding a way to meet up with you in NYC last September. All I can offer up is that my job had me completely shellshocked at the time, and I felt hungover without even drinking anything! Hopefully, we'll still meet up sometime!!

If any of the guys were to announce solo shows that you could get to, would you travel here for those?
    I'm sure we will at some point! Hey, why don't you come to Miami

I wouldn't go to as much effort to see solo shows or go to as many. I think the band as a whole have something magical, like Joe Walsh says. I'd like to see some solo shows but I'm scared I might be slightly disappointed. If any of them are over here or somewhere we might go on holiday then I'd go.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have been so lucky to have had so many special times at Eagles shows over the last 10+ years that it's hard to begin to pick out just a few. As always, meeting up with other fans makes each experience unique and very special. As far as the HOTE tour, I'd say that the highlight of these shows for me have been the opportunity to see Bernie reunited with the band, and, the most special musical moment for me is always the Doolin'-Dalton - Tequila Sunrise - Doolin'-Dalton/Desperado Reprise trilogy. I get chills every time I hear it, but I also get sad knowing that I probably won't get to hear it too many more times.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016