Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Lyrics - Favorite One-Liners (or Two)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Eagles Lyrics - Favorite One-Liners (or Two)

That article is one of the best I've seen, thanks for posting that VA. All of the choices were worthy I think, I'd agree that MOUAS is probably the first one I've take off if I was adding anything else to the list, but I really like the warmth of the lyrics which combine beautifully the vocals and the music.

It was nice to see some non-hits be included on the list and I could not agree with more The Last Resort, Doolin-Dalton and the Reprise nominations (these songs are all very high up my personal list of favourites, not least due to their stellar lyrics). With regards to Doolin-Dalton, I love vivid descriptive lyrics and those cited from the song are among a number of memorable ones they've done over the years - I think it was Glenn who once said something along the lines that it was much better to open a song with an image of an empty hotel room than to start by whining about your girlfriend leaving.

I also thought the comments on Lyin' Eyes and I Can't Tell You Why were interesting, particularly on the latter - I think its description of malaise and indifference coupled to the non-histrionic music is one of its greatest assets. It's not a dramatic breakup, just two people who love each other but also get fed up of each other.

Here are some others from the 1970s albums that I think would have been worthy of mention:

'This voice keeps whispering in my other ear, telling me I may never see you again' - Peaceful Easy Feeling

'I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself, I've been searching for an angel in white' - One Of These Nights (this would have make my list for sure, it's spot on its description of a young guy's conflicting desires from a woman)

'Any kind of love without passion, that ain't no kind of loving at all' - After The Thrill Is Gone

'But heroes they come and they go, and leave us behind, as if we're supposed to know... why' - Pretty Maids All In A Row

''Cause all the debutants in Houston baby couldn't hold a candle to you' - The Long Run

'We would sing right out loud the things we could not say' - The Sad Café

The Dirty Laundry lyric is strong but if I was making this list then my choice of solo song would probably be The Heart Of The Matter - there's several lyrics that I could choose from in that song but 'keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside' is a standout.

I suppose one possible reason why the LROOE album wasn't featured in the list was that it hasn't really been around long enough to call anything from it enduring and its songs have probably received the least exposure out of any Eagles album. The title track and especially Waiting In The Weeds are easily good enough to be worthy of inclusion, and there also strong lyrics IMO on songs like Busy Being Fabulous (I've always loved 'you think time is just a magazine').

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

It's odd, yesterday, before I saw this, I contemplated starting a thread ranking the band's discography by just the lyrics

As for JCL who mentioned Sad Cafe above, the line I would choose from that (and would probably be my first choice for inclusion) is 'We thought we could change this world, with words like love and freedom'. I think those two lines alone sum up the entire West Coast California country rock movement perfectly.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Jonny, I've always loved that line in The Long Run too. The whole song is great. I read with chagrin that DH told Songwriter magazine that the song "could have been better" lyrically - no it couldn't, Don!
    Interesting that, we all know Don is a perfectionist and probably has a lot of power over the setlist, yet they still revived it after it didn't make the cut for the HFO tour. I'm also led to believe he doesn't care for BOML live, and as far as I know this is the first tour since the 70s where it's stayed in the setlist constantly.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    DD/D Reprise and Desperado have several other lines too.
    I love the 'Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the centre ring?' line in the former. So stuck in my head was it that I now sometimes use the last half of it in real life when something's daunting or difficult.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I love the 'Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the centre ring?' line in the former. So stuck in my head was it that I now sometimes use the last half of it in real life when something's daunting or difficult.
    I know what you mean, tlr. I love "Don't your feet get cold in the wintertime? The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine" and "It may be rainin' But there's a rainbow above you" from Desperado. "Stole your dreams and paid you with regret" from the Reprise.

Oh heck, the whole songs! Actually, they give me shivers when I hear them!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Eagles Lyrics - Favorite One-Liners (or Two)

After the discussion in another thread inspired by a recent concert writeup, there were some suggestions that we start a thread about some of our favorite lines in Eagles' songs. So - I did that and also moved some of the relevant posts over here. You can contribute to this thread however you like by listing as many or a few lyrics as you want. I have a lot of lines that I want to talk about, but I'm going to start off with one of my favorite lines in just about any song ... from New Kid In Town -

"They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Lyrics - Favorite One-Liners (or Two)

This is the article that Johnny Come Lately referenced above, '13 enduring lyrics'.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...rics/28382873/
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

The line that's a part of my signature. It's probably my favorite.

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains And we never even know we have the key

I'll have to think of more... too tired at the moment.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'll start with one I quote a lot every time I have the misfortune of watching daytime TV or reading most magazines.

You bitch about the present and blame it on the past
    I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass!

I don't think I need to explain why I think this is a great line!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    After the discussion in another thread inspired by a recent concert writeup, there were some suggestions that we start a thread about some of our favorite lines in Eagles' songs. So - I did that and also moved some of the relevant posts over here. You can contribute to this thread however you like by listing as many or a few lyrics as you want. I have a lot of lines that I want to talk about, but I'm going to start off with one of my favorite lines in just about any song ... from New Kid In Town -

"They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along".
    This is my favourite line in any Eagles song, ever.

The next was also in the article:

We've been up & down that highway
    Havent seen a goddamn thing

The Caesar verse in LROOE isn't a one-liner but that comes next for me.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-05-2015 at 06:10 PM.