Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25, 2015

Default Re: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25,

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Press and praise is all very well but I'm sure it'll be album sales that dictates whether or not Don extends his tour. If Don can sell records there's every chance that he'll be able to sell seats too. That makes Friday's chart, d-day.
    He may very well be able to sell seats even if the album isn't a huge hit. I think the commercial success of his tour will dictate whether or not he adds more dates - assuming, of course, the Eagles engine doesn't start back up again in the spring.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25,

I was just watching The League & strangely Don Henley was mentioned. It had nothing to do with the Eagles or even football, which this show is about, just video blogging, Don Henley & magic.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Press and praise is all very well but I'm sure it'll be album sales that dictates whether or not Don extends his tour. If Don can sell records there's every chance that he'll be able to sell seats too. That makes Friday's chart, d-day.
    I'm pretty sure that the press and positive reviews will help increase the albums sales.

Here's another article. I don't see anything new in it.
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...he-future.html
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    He may very well be able to sell seats even if the album isn't a huge hit. I think the commercial success of his tour will dictate whether or not he adds more dates - assuming, of course, the Eagles engine doesn't start back up again in the spring.
    Good point sodascouts, although I can't see a Henley solo tour being more lucrative than another Eagles tour. If the album sinks, I think the tour will go down with it. I'm delighted to say that, that looks unlikely. Cass County is still Amazon's top selling album by a veteran artist.

AG95, I'm not sure about press and positive reviews helping album sales. Stevie Nicks got loads of both for her last two albums but they weren't no Gangnam Style

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I’m with you on that one – two of those releases are albums released by a mature and thoughtful artist, the other was a single which became a huge hit through its gimmicky video and dance routines, a song which happened to be in the right place at the right time. I can say a lot more about the two different artists here but ultimately I feel this comparison is irrelevant, sales of albums and singles shouldn’t be directly compared. I don't think it is fair on Stevie Nicks and what she was trying to achieve with her music.

My belief is that good music is music that people connect to and stays with them, and that record sales alone do not reveal this. There are albums that have sold huge numbers of copies but are in retrospect widely seen as disappointing, or that people bought because it was considered ‘cool’ or fashionable to do so at the time. Then there are albums – and I would include an album like Desperado in this category – that weren’t commercially successful, but the people who did get them loved them, and many in cases still love them, and therefore have stood the test of time. If the people who do listen to Cass County love it and it stands up for them over the years, then I feel that is the true measure of success.

Having said that, I do hope that AG95 is correct and I think the promotion will have a positive effect on sales – I’m sure there will be plenty of people who’d like to hear the album but who don’t necessarily follow Henley or the Eagles online and therefore haven’t heard about it or don’t know that it has already been released.

Forgive me for being really lazy and not reading the entire thread through, but what is the consensus amongst Border folk on Cass County? Like/Love/Hate/Meh?

I woke up this morning with an attitude
    looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's going to remain "exclusive" for a while - maybe a year - but hopefully after that, it will be distributed through other stores and outlets such as iTunes. It all depends on what Henley's camp agreed to when they made the deal with Target.

What really annoys me is that you can't buy it online from Target's site and have it shipped to you. In-store pickup only. I know, I know, they do it to get you to come to the store in the hope that you'll buy other stuff while you're there, but it feels like they're holding the music hostage. Getting you physically into Target is more important than giving people who don't live near a Target an opportunity to legally purchase the music. Why? Because the music is secondary to Target; to them, Don Henley's art is nothing more than a wiggling worm on a hook.

(I say this as someone who drove for over an hour to get to a Target so I could buy one the day of release, and I picked up some nail polish while I was there. Not only that, I actively promoted the Target version to my Stevie fan friends, a Fleetwood Mac website, and on DHO. I prop up the corporate machinery even as I loathe it because I want the music more than I want to "make a statement". Then I feel like a hypocrite. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so self-aware, lol.)

Soda, It is now again available on the Target website--I ordered it a day or so ago when it became available again. So sorry you had to drive so far to get it; maybe this post will help someone else! (Definitely not a plug for Target.)

Border Troubadour

Well, I LOVE it particularly since it arrived at last and guess who had signed it???? My man himself!!!!!

...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

AG95, I'm not sure about press and positive reviews helping album sales. Stevie Nicks got loads of both for her last two albums but they weren't no Gangnam Style
    I should've explained what I said in more detail. I'm not expecting CC to sale like that awful song you mentioned. What I meant by "*press and positive reviews will help increase the albums sales" was that casual Eagles/Don Henley fans might come across one of the articles or reviews, who didn't know about the release of Cass County like us hardcores did. The press and positive help get the word out there.
    CC has a bit of a limited appeal. It's geared toward adults more, middle aged and older. It's a intellectual country album, something that's rare in this era of country. It's not Blake Shelton talking about "the boys 'round here" or Toby Keith with his "red solo cup" love.. Cass County wouldn't be very popular with country fans who are my age. They want happy, upbeat party songs.

I'm not expecting it to sell millions of copies, but I do expect it to do decent sales at minimum.

DD, glad that your copy finally arrived.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJoburg View Post
    Forgive me for being really lazy and not reading the entire thread through, but what is the consensus amongst Border folk on Cass County? Like/Love/Hate/Meh?
    I can only speak for myself SteveJoburg, I love Cass County. I think it's one of the best Eagles, solo or band releases ever.
    I was originally pretty sceptical, as this pre- album release post, suitably displays;

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50
    I love Don and can't stand country music. Would I like a Henley country album? on the evidence so far the answer is no. I'm not enjoying it at all. My opinion of country music stands, my opinion of Don is on the wane.

I really enjoy Glenn's After Hours but Don's Cass County sounds like it could be purgatory.

I don't think I could listen to Don singing the phone book but I definitely enjoy listening to him singing Country music.

I hope it sells millions!