Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25, 2015

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County due in Sept

I'm familiar with almost all of the ones listed so far, though I have no clue who Lucuinda Williams or Ashley Monroe are. Most I like. Country is the most popular genre of music around here. Heck, Trisha Yearwood is from a small town in central Georgia where several of my cousins live. It's been engrained in me since I was little, particularly outlaw country and the country hits of the late 70's- early 90's. While rock music is my main genre of music, there's always a place for country.

I do love how there's a variety of different country artists that are appearing on Cass County. They're not all cut from the same cloth, and they cover several generations, from the 50s- to the present.

ETA: FP, I guess that you trying to understand or like country music would be like me trying to get into whatever local scenes you have down there.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County due in Sept

It's not that I don't understand it, but I stopped at Hank Williams/Johnny Cash. I am this minute listening to Dylan's One More Night from Nashville Skyline. I probably exaggerated when I said American country music means nothing here but I think it would be true to say that none of these artists sell any records down here. Dolly Parton did briefly when she went pop with songs like 9 To 5.

I've been a fan of country music since 1994. That's the year when I started to broaden my music taste. I know about all of them.

I've been a fan of Vince Gill for 20 something years. I've seen him once in concert. He's in my top 5 of favorite singers. He's a great singer and plays the heck out of the guitar.

I'm not really a fan of Miranda. I like one song and that's it. She's married to Blake Shelton who is also a country singer and one of the judges on the Voice.

Martina McBride is a wonderful singer. That woman has some pipes. She's small, but when you hear her sing, you can't believe what comes out of that small body. She and Trisha came out around the same time in the early 90s.

I think the only one I'm not familiar with is Lucinda Williams. I heard some songs she wrote, but not familiar with her singing.

The two covers song. I've never heard of those songs. I had to go on YouTube to listen to the original version. I looked up Bramble Rose, which I posted. That's different one of those very traditional country songs. I don't know if I can see Don doing it like that. I can see him putting a little spin to that song. The other one was more a bluegrass song. I'm not a fan of bluegrass and Don really have to spin that song for me to like.

I think a lot of country singers are not popular outside of the US. Some go to Europe or Australia and some don't.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Well, it's just that country music sums up life in the American south, which I can understand not being popular outside of the states. There's several country songs about places around here (see Chattahoochee by Alan Jackson or Muckalee Creek Water by Luke Bryan). When I hear them, they bring back fond memories of my childhood.
    Blake Shelton is one of the few modern male country singers I like, besides Luke Bryan, who is a local boy. I'm not too familiar with his wife,Miranda, but I like the song that she did about Blake losing his brother.
    I like both Trisha and Vince's voices.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Can't wait for this album, even though I'm not much of a country music fan, although this may not necessarily be a "country" album, but I'll take what I can get - it's new music!

Border Troubadour

Well I was brought up on good ole country music. My mother played it non-stop and her favourite was Charley Pride but mine was definitely George Jones and he's one of Don's favourites too. Ireland is country music mad, during the summer there's a festival every other weekend and all the big stars come over here...ahem...you may remember the Garth fiasco last year????

Vince Gill has played here twice and I saw him both times - he was absolutely brilliant. He talked about the links between Ireland and American country music. Apparently Irish emigrants brought the country sound over to the Appalachian Mountains and it expanded from there......so.........if there's any place in Europe Don would be MOST welcome and appreciated it would be here!!!!!

Come on Don, my Irish eyes are smiling

Welcome back HD - we missed you
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Here are some videos of the guest stars on Don's album for those are not familiar with them.

Martina McBride. One of my favorite songs. Broken Wings. Like I said she has some pipes.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgjTO5eAbZY[/ame]

Vince Gill. A great singer and guitar player. This features his singing and great guitar player. This guy has sing with everybody known to man in country music. He has even sang with Reba. They have a no. 1 hit called The Heart Won't Lie. Like Don, he blends so great with everybody. So I'm looking forward to hearing Don with Vince. I wanted to post his ballads, but I also wanted to post a video with his amazing guitar playing. Here's One More Last Chance. The second video is more a traditional sound like song. The woman in the background is Patty Loveless. I forgot to mention. IF you heard of Pure Prairie League, he was in that band before he moved to Nashville and became a solo artist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfgIQfpbWI[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwmGWCJOxnw[/ame]

Alison Krauss: She's more a bluegrass singer, but has a great voice. She even sang with Robert Plant. I found a few videos of them. Here's an old Keith Whitley song. When You Say Nothing At All.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SCOimBo5tg[/ame]

Miranda Lambert. Of course she's part of the new country. She's been around for 10 something years. We really didn't make it big until a few years ago.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQYNM6SjD_o[/ame]

Kellie Pickler is an American Idol alumni and she was also on Dancing With The Stars which she won.

Merle Haggard. I was one of the traditional country singers. He was around with George Jones, Dolly, Buck Owens etc.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbEstJ98TcM[/ame]
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-13-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I adore Vince Gill. I've seen him live and he has the most amazing voice. So does Don, so this ought to be nearly as good as Don and Glenn singing together!

I also really like Alison Krauss. Her 'duet' with Keith Whitley that you posted below is a favorite, because I also really like Keith Whitley. Alison is another with a pure, sweet voice.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Yes he does, VA. I only saw Vince in concert once. I think it was 2004 or 2005. It was amazing. Vince has this distinct voice. When you hear a song and he's singing backup or harmony on it, you know its him like you will know its Don singing with another person. He and Don will definitely blend great. Too bad Vince is singing with other people on that song. I would had loved to hear Vince either sing a duet with Don, sing backup on a song, but a guest guitar player.

I'm going to put up Trisha Yearwood even though I know everybody knows her. Here's Trisha with Don on Walkaway Joe. I don't know if this will the first time Trisha sang on Don's album. So I'm looking forward to Trisha on the other side (meaning she's lending her voice for Don's song)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdCuduv0H0[/ame]

I forgot to add LeeAnn Woamck because I saw her name. She has a great voice. I Hope You Dance is one of her very big hits. It even crossed over to the pop side.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw[/ame]

Dolly Parton. Here's Dolly and Vince singing I Will Always Love You
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3HZA1-TSD0[/ame]