Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Battle Of The Bands - The List

I've given this some thought and I now have a working list of 56 bands, which I will list below. There is now only a limited opportunity to make any alterations before I intend to start the Preliminary Round.

Summary of Gameplay
    Just as a reminder, here is how the game will be structured:

56 bands in total – Eight bands selected in advance enter Round 1, with the other 48 entering the Preliminary Round.

Preliminary Round – 48 bands -> 24 bands (24 ties; 2 rounds of 12 ties)
    Round 1 – 32 bands (24 + 8 ; 16 bands (16 ties; 2 rounds of 8 ties)
    Round 2 – 16 bands -> 8 bands (8 ties; 2 rounds of 4 ties)
    Quarter Final – 8 bands -> 4 bands (4 ties)
    Semi Final – 4 bands -> 2 bands (2 ties)
    Final – 2 bands -> WINNER!

In each tie, vote for your favourite band out of the two.

The Bands - List
    The bands receiving a ‘bye’ to Round 1 (i.e. skipping the preliminary round) will be:
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    Fleetwood Mac
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Rolling Stones
    U2
    The Who

Here is the list of 48 bands which will enter the Preliminary Round. The five additions to make, for the first time, a list that will work have been highlighted in bold for clarity.
    These bands are as follows:
    1. ABBA
    2. AC/DC
    3. Aerosmith
    4. The Allman Brothers Band
    5. Bad Company
    6. The Band
    7. Bee Gees
    8. Black Sabbath
    9. Blue Oyster Cult
    10. Bon Jovi
    11. The Byrds
    12. The Cars
    13. The Clash
    14. Coldplay
    15. Cream
    16. Creedence Clearwater Revival
    17. Crosby, Stills and Nash (& Young)
    18. Deep Purple
    19. Dire Straits
    20. The Doors
    21. ELO
    22. Foreigner
    23. Genesis
    24. Guns 'N' Roses
    25. Heart
    26. Iron Maiden
    27. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    28. Journey
    29. Judas Priest
    30. KISS
    31. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    32. Nirvana
    33. Oasis
    34. Pearl Jam
    35. Poco
    36. The Police
    37. Queen
    38. Radiohead
    39. The Ramones
    40. R.E.M.
    41. Rush
    42. The Sex Pistols
    43. Styx
    44. Thin Lizzy
    45. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    46. Van Halen
    47. Yes
    48. ZZ Top

(If anyone has wondered why the eight bands at the top are not numbered, it is because these the numbers listed are those which assigned to the respective bands in the draw for the Preliminary Round, which the first eight bands will bypass).

Having considered which five bands to go for, I felt that Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were probably the easiest choices. I have opted to include Thin Lizzy and Blue Oyster Cult as I felt they both received a decent amount of support for their inclusion (they were suggested or were supported by different posters), so Def Leppard miss out I'm afraid. I decided to go for The Cars for the final spot as I didn't want to give all the remaining places to hard classic rock or heavy metal bands, and they are probably more recognisable in the US, especially to people who listen to relatively little contemporary music, than most of the alternative options. I considered Roxy Music and Mott The Hoople for their glam rock styles but feared they would not be sufficiently well known in America.

If anyone feels strongly that any of these bands should NOT be on the list, I can still alter it before finalising the list and making the draw but at this stage I think it is appropriate to prevent any new suggestions for inclusion (apologies for this), it was hard enough picking which ones to include from the shortlist! IMO the most realistic alternative choices at this stage would now be Def Leppard, ELP or Metallica although I may consider others if I think there is a band that could be relatively easily removed beyond the last five additions.

If there are any no significant objections to these choices then I am happy to use this list and start the game. I will make the draw for the Preliminary Round tomorrow and should be able to start the first round over the weekend. However I think this may be best left until Sunday as I am aware some members don't usually visit the boards on the weekends.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for all the hard work, JCL. I will be glad to participate although I haven't had time to go through this entire thread to read and understand the rules. I'm fine with whatever bands you decide on, but in scanning the list, I did think their were a few noticeable omissions such as Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Def Leppard, and Green Day, while there are also a few included on the list that I have never heard a single song from. It would be virtually impossible to come up with a list that we would all agree on though.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks dreamer - I will try and ensure most of the rules are covered in the first preliminary round post, although if you want to check the game mechanics, these are covered in the last post on the second page.

I did consider two of the bands you mentioned, Def Leppard missed out quite narrowly (they were edged out by Blue Oyster Cult and Thin Lizzy), and Green Day were also in contention although I am aware that there is more interest in older bands on this forum.I left out Bruce Springsteen because the E Street Band are his backing band (in contrast to The Jimi Hendrix Experience, where Jimi is actually a member of the trio), and Springsteen certainly has the respect and success required to be included in a solo artists version of the game so he shouldn't miss out entirely. It just isn't realistically possible to please everyone when making a game like this with a limit on the total number of bands (even with 56 bands rather than the original intended total of 32) although hopefully the majority of the list is acceptable to most people.

I have made the draw for the preliminary round today so everything is ready to go in that respect. I will put up the first half (12 of the 24 ties) on the board tomorrow. All I am going to say for now is there are some interesting pairings...

I will explain a few rules now ahead of tomorrow, which apply to all of the rounds rather than any one round in particular.

In each tie, vote for which of the two bands you prefer. You can ignore a tie if you don't care for either band or aren't familiar with either band's music. Each vote for the favoured band in a pairing will give 1 point to that band, if the tie is ignored neither band gets any points and there is no way of losing points. When the round (or section of the round) is completed the band with more points will progress to the next round, or expressed more simply the band which more people prefer will advance to the following stage.

If there are any draws after the time given to the round is over, I will confirm the results of all the ties where a winner can be determined but leave the undecided matches open - at the end of the round the next vote will determine the outcome. If 24 hours elapse and there are no further votes, I will give myself a second vote on the tie. I will admit this isn't the fairest way of doing things, but I don't think it is worth delaying the progress of the game any further beyond this and while tossing a coin or a similar method is fairer, it just isn't appropriate to this game IMO.

For each set of ties I will allow two days for people to get their votes in - I think this is the right amount of time, it seems to work well in the Survivor games. The number of ties will decrease as the game progresses so it will get simpler as it advances.

I will not be accepting any further suggestions for additions to the list as my next post in this thread will start the game proper. So this means I can officially confirm that the bands in The Battle Of The Bands will be:
    Entering Round 1 (these bands will bypass the Preliminary Route)
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    Fleetwood Mac
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Rolling Stones
    U2
    The Who

Entering the Preliminary Round
    1. ABBA
    2. AC/DC
    3. Aerosmith
    4. The Allman Brothers Band
    5. Bad Company
    6. The Band
    7. Bee Gees
    8. Black Sabbath
    9. Blue Oyster Cult
    10. Bon Jovi
    11. The Byrds
    12. The Cars
    13. The Clash
    14. Coldplay
    15. Cream
    16. Creedence Clearwater Revival
    17. Crosby, Stills and Nash (& Young)
    18. Deep Purple
    19. Dire Straits
    20. The Doors
    21. ELO
    22. Foreigner
    23. Genesis
    24. Guns 'N' Roses
    25. Heart
    26. Iron Maiden
    27. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    28. Journey
    29. Judas Priest
    30. KISS
    31. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    32. Nirvana
    33. Oasis
    34. Pearl Jam
    35. Poco
    36. The Police
    37. Queen
    38. Radiohead
    39. The Ramones
    40. R.E.M.
    41. Rush
    42. The Sex Pistols
    43. Styx
    44. Thin Lizzy
    45. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    46. Van Halen
    47. Yes
    48. ZZ Top

If there are any further questions about the rules and gameplay (but not about choices of band), I will try to address them in my game opening post.

The Battle Of The Bands - Preliminary Round

The list of 56 bands involved in the game has now been finalised and we are ready to start! Once I have posted the first half of the Preliminary Round draw gameplay will start and you will able to vote on the matches for two days. I will ensure that you all have at least 48 hours to cast your votes (I can't guarantee timings will be exact but I should generally expect to be able to finish each set of matches after 50 hours at most, hopefully before).

In my last couple of posts I have listed some information which I will not repeat here as they apply to all of the rounds of the game and these posts are on the same page as this one. Having said this, although I have recently described the format of the game I will repeat this with additional information about how each stage will work:

Preliminary Round (48 bands) - The 48 bands listed in post #51 enter the draw for the Preliminary Round (this has already been made) where bands are randomly drawn against each other. There will be 24 matches or ties in total, twelve being played at a time. If the two bands in a match get the same number of votes, I will reopen voting for that match alone at the end of the round (after both halves of the draw have been played) and the next vote will win (‘sudden death’). If no one votes in the next day then I will vote again for the sake of finishing the round (if you disagree with my opinion this will provide a stronger incentive to vote within the 24 hours!)
    First round (32) – The eight remaining bands (the original Magnificent Seven I listed on page one plus the later addition of U2) will enter the draw alongside the 24 winners from the Preliminary Round. There will be 16 matches in total, of which eight will be done at the same time (so there will be two sets of ties in this round).
    Second round (16) – The draw is made in the same way as for the first round. There are eight ties, again in two sets (four at a time). However, this time, if the two bands in a tie receive the same number of votes, the band which received more votes in the previous round will win. If they got the same number of votes in the 1st round as well, sudden death will again applied.
    Quarter-Final ( 8 ) - Four ties, with all ties taking place at the same time from this point on. Rules otherwise as before.
    Semi-Final (4) – Two ties, which will be run simultaneously. Down to just four bands with the winners entering the final.
    Final (2) – And then there two. The two survivors face each other in the showdown to declare the victor.

Although I have said previously that the voting system is positive (even if your primary motive behind voting in a match is to help eliminate a band you dislike, you have to vote for the other band as they are technically your preferred choice out of the two), I've realised that at no point have I said how to express your vote for your favourite band - there are several possible ways of doing this. I think this is best illustrated using this (fictional) example:
    Match 0. Spinal Tap vs The Electric Mayhem

You can highlight the band you prefer in bold:
    Match 0. Spinal Tap vs The Electric Mayhem

Alternatively you can name the band you prefer as shown below:
    Match 0. Spinal Tap vs The Electric Mayhem - The Electric Mayhem

There are other ways which have not crossed my mind but I am not going to enforce any strict rules about how to express your vote. It just needs to be clear.

(You can use acronyms as long as these are commonly accepted, e.g. if you wanted to vote for Crosby, Stills And Nash (& Young) then CSN(&Y) would be perfectly clear and acceptable. By contrast if you wanted to vote for, say, Black Sabbath then I'd suggest putting down their full name or at least 'Sabbath' for clarity).

By all means feel free to discuss your choices, as long as you make it clear which band you choose in each match. If you think you can explain your preference then I'd love to hear why you chose that band. You don't have if you don't want to though so don't worry about this.

To avoid cluttering this post too much I will reveal the draw for the first half of the preliminary round in a separate post (see below):

The Battle Of The Bands - Preliminary Round

Without further ado I will list the pairings for the first twelve matches in the Preliminary Round, involving 24 bands. Voting is open as soon as this post is submitted, and will remain open until around this time on Tuesday.

Preliminary Round - Matches 1-12 (First Half of the Draw)
    Match 1. BAD COMPANY vs THE DOORS
    Match 2. JOURNEY vs ABBA
    Match 3. THE POLICE vs ELO
    Match 4. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL vs QUEEN
    Match 5. THIN LIZZY vs BLACK SABBATH
    Match 6. DIRE STRAITS vs GUNS ‘N’ ROSES
    Match 7. THE CARS vs VAN HALEN
    Match 8. NIRVANA vs THE BYRDS
    Match 9. TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS vs HEART
    Match 10. R.E.M. vs BEE GEES
    Match 11. JUDAS PRIEST vs THE RAMONES
    Match 12. LYNYRD SKYNYRD vs IRON MAIDEN

You can copy and paste this list if you wish, or write it out in another clear way (I don't mind either way).

I will be back later with my choices. It will be interesting to see how these matches turn out!

Have fun everyone!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Match 2. JOURNEY vs ABBA

1. Bad Company
    2 Journey
    3.ELO
    4.CCR
    5.Black Sabbath
    6. Guns n Roses
    7.Van Halen
    8. The Byrds
    9.Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    10.REM
    11.Judas Priest
    12. Lynyrd Skynyrd

(I spent 10 minutes debating that last one, my favorite metal band or the most popular rock band around my home? That's too tough to decide! )
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

1. The Doors
    2. ABBA
    3. ELO
    4. Queen
    5. Thin Lizzy
    6. Dire Straits
    7. Van Halen
    8. The Byrds
    9. Heart
    10. Bee Gees
    11. The Ramones
    12. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Last edited by Lisa; 06-28-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Match 2. JOURNEY vs ABBA

My hardest choice by far was #4 - hated to see these two great bands going head-to-head so early in the game. #2, #6, and #9 were tough for me as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

1. Bad Company
    2. Journey
    3. The Police
    4. Queen
    5. Thin Lizzy
    6. Guns 'n' Roses
    7. Van Halen
    9. Nirvana