Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Chris Squire

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default RIP Chris Squire

Co-founder member and bassist of Yes, Chris Squire, has died at the age of 67.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris-squire-dies-yes/

I had just discovered this article in which Chris discusses the impact the Eagles had on Yes in terms of drug age, when I learned 9f Chris' death.

RIP to a great musician.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Default Re: RIP Chris Squire

Chris Squire was a great bassist and harmonies singer.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very sad to lose another talented musician. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

R.I.P. Chris Squire

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

There's so much Yes music (probably more than half of it) where you can hear Chris harmonizing with the lead singer - in the studio recordings as well. Personally I would have loved to see Jon Anderson in the band all the time, but even when there has been another singer, a bit of the Yes sound has remained in the vocals, because Chris was always singing.

Yes musicians have always looked rather intense and serious on stage, although Jon Anderson smiled a lot. When he wasn't there, it seems that Chris was the one bringing this kind of warmth to their stage performances. Check out 59:40 in this video, where Chris smiles at the camera. A BEAUTIFUL moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvSA1zR-bGM

Rest In Peace, Chris
    I love you
    Last edited by chaim; 06-28-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Border Troubadour

I've been out all day so have only just come back to this awful news, I'm absolutely devastated. Incredible bassist (one of my inspirations to take up the instrument) and seemed like such a lovely guy, as chaim shows above (I've never seen that video btw, thanks).

RIP Chris, thanks for your wonderful work.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Wow Chaim, that is indeed a beautiful moment .

I didn't have time when I made this thread to talk much about Yes and Chris. Yes are easily one of my top 2 70s prog rock bands ( the other being Genesis). I've heard their hits since I was little, and I've grown to really love them over the past year or so. I will say that for me, there's no Yes without Jon Anderson.

Since I'm not a musician, I can't say much about the technical aspect. I can only speak about what I feel. Chris Squire, alongside Steve Howe and Jon Anderson, wrote some of the best prog rock songs, imo. Chris and the music he helped create are loved by fans and have inspired people and musicians everywhere.

I'm now debating what Yes album to listen to in his honor. I'm thinking The Yes Album as its my personal favorite.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Great group RIP Chris

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

What a shock, I felt sick when I saw on the news this morning that Chris had passed. What a huge talent - not only a thrilling bassist but also, as several people here have mentioned, a brilliant harmony singer. He said his choirmaster taught him everything he knew about music, and it showed in his amazing arrangements. So glad I got to see Yes many times in recent years, and always made sure my seats were right in front of Chris, His Royal Bassness as we called him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFox6wyXfw

For any fans who may be interested, someone has compiled the public/social media statements from Chris' fellow Yes men, past and present. I was especially interested to read Jon Anderson's comments as I knew (everyone knew) they had a difficult relationship but there is a lot of love and history there too. http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wncs.htm
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 06-29-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    What a shock, I felt sick when I saw on the news this morning that Chris had passed. What a huge talent - not only a thrilling bassist but also, as several people here have mentioned, a brilliant harmony singer. He said his choirmaster taught him everything he knew about music, and it showed in his amazing arrangements. So glad I got to see Yes many times in recent years, and always made sure my seats were right in front of Chris, His Royal Bassness as we called him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFox6wyXfw

For any fans who may be interested, someone has compiled the public/social media statements from Chris' fellow Yes men, past and present. I was especially interested to read Jon Anderson's comments as I knew (everyone knew) they had a difficult relationship but there is a lot of love and history there too. http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wncs.htm
    I feel that the relationship between Jon and Chris may have been a bit like the one between Tony Banks and Peter Gabriel. Two people who met when they were very young and this unique bond (and the good and the bad things that come with it) remains throughout their lives.

I have seen Jon Anderson play two times here in Finland in recent years. In both concerts he told (different) funny stories about Chris. It was obvious that there was a lot of affection there for Chris.

It felt good to read Bill's statement. Chris used to drive him crazy in the studio, and it seemed that Bill wasn't keen on working with Chris ever again. I loved Bill's thoughtful text and the (Close To The Edge) examples he mentioned. He really gave it some time.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-29-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yes, I appreciated Bill's comments too. He described Chris' special musical gifts very well.

I just scrolled to the bottom of that page and saw where Chris was about half done (as of last year) with his autobiography. The actor Vincent Gallo was helping him. I guess it will never come out now.