Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    When you click the link on the list of inductees, John Bonham was not inducted as part of Led Zeppelin in that his name appears nowhere on the list. He's mentioned in paragraphs, but not the list or individual biographies of those inducted.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/artist/A87853

Given that, it seems obvious the precedent was set that it's current members only.
    I'd say it's more likely that he was excluded because he was dead, unless there's a precedent for posthumous honors.

Regardless of what caused his exclusion, though, what is obvious is that the Kennedy Center feels no obligation to include all members of a band, past and/or present.

I daresay the decision regarding which Eagles would be honored was the Kennedy Center's, but doubtless there will be those who immediately condemn Glenn Frey and Don Henley for it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I daresay the decision regarding which Eagles would be honored was the Kennedy Center's, but doubtless there will be those who immediately condemn Glenn Frey and Don Henley for it.
    Obviously. Too many seize the opportunity to think the worst of Glenn and Don instead of looking for the facts, and we would expect nothing less of such people.

The Kennedy Center is, by the way, under the administration of the Smithsonion, and receives federal funding to pay for the maintenance and costs of operating the building. The performing arts themselves are meant to be sustaining (paying for themselves), but there is also some private funding. It is the busiest performing arts center in the US according to Wiki. The Office of the President of the United States, along with the First Lady, is traditionally the prime fundraiser for it. It's ludicrous to think Don and Glenn can dictate terms to such an entity, but people will do it anyway.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    The Office of the President of the United States, along with the First Lady, is traditionally the prime fundraiser for it. It's ludicrous to think Don and Glenn can dictate terms to such an entity, but people will do it anyway.
    Let me be the first

Politicians are the champs of compromise. They wont dictate the terms. They'll come to an amicable solution that suits both parties.

I'd like to think that Henley and Frey were offered the honour as the permanent Eagles and they negotiated the inclusion if Tim and Joe.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'd like to think that Henley and Frey were offered the honour as the permanent Eagles and they negotiated the inclusion if Tim and Joe.
    I like to think that, too. Or maybe the committee realise that honoring just two members could cause unwelcome friction within a band. It wouldn't look good if a lifetime achievement award ended the life of the band.

Thanks for the info VA.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

I can go with the current quartet excepting the honour, although only half of them are on the biggest selling record in the 20th Century. They've stuck it out for longest. Bernie's current run with the band must be getting close to being longer than his first.
    So what they stuck out for longest? Bernie and Randy contribute greatly to initial success of band and Don Felder come not long after. I think shame not to include.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So I guess Bernie is not considered a current member.
    I agree Buttercup seem silly to me. How can not be current member if touring for three years, not to mention original member? Guess shows they think Bernie back up, not member. I don't like.

Politicians are the champs of compromise. They wont dictate the terms. They'll come to an amicable solution that suits both parties.
    Maybe in the UK, but in the US, politicians are short on compromise and long on partisan politics where compromise is perceived as a betrayal.

Of course artists are treated differently than fellow politicians regardless, but the committee doesn't seem to have consulted honorees in the past about including bandmates.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

F50 & UTW, it's not a political decision, and no politicians are involved in the process! The Smithsonian is not a political entity. What I meant by what I said is that the sitting President, of whatever party, traditionally is the figurehead for fundraising, along with the first lady.

Everyone will believe what they want. I've run out of words to describe it, and I don't know enough about such things across the pond to find a fitting analogy. I'm very serious when I say it's extremely unlikely any negotiating was done. When one has the honor to receive something as prestigious as this, you do not negotiate. If they would have said, "we won't accept unless you include these guys, too", the honor would likely go to someone else. It's not like the Eagles are doing the Kennedy Center the favor of accepting. It's very much the other way around.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

VA - I agree with you - I'm taking this as a really great honor for the group (all 4 current members) where the decision was made on who was nominated by the Kennedy Centre committee and I for one, am going to enjoy the build up to it - well as much as I can see from this side of the pond

I'm just off that as usual, anything involving the group and awards/acknowledgements has to dissolve into a debate about whether or not Felder and Bernie/Randy should be included. And I'll throw my tuppence worth in - I think Bernie and Randy should be recognized in some way as they were involved in the start of the bands amazing journey but that is not likely to happen in this case as the Eagles themselves don't have any say in what happens, so maybe we should just sit back and enjoy the build up and the speculation
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

I agree with the sentiments that we should just accept and enjoy.

I like to think that Glenn and Don would stand up for Tim and Joe but that doesn't mean I believe that's what happened here.

By "political", I thought F50 was using it as a more general term rather than referring to politicians. (ETA: reading back, he did mean politicians, so I was wrong). I'm sure there's a lot of politics involved the honours committee, not least to ensure they get the right mix of ethnicity but also to ensure that different arts are represented.

I doubt there's much negotiation but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a discreet enquiry as to whether an offer would be accepted before the announcement is made. During that exchange, there might be some clarification of exactly who was to be honored.

BTW, isn't the Smithsonian where you find dinosaurs?
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-16-2015 at 07:13 PM.