Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

You need at least one musical act that is mainstream popular now to perform. Someone the young'ins care about. Foo Fighters is an obvious choice. Otherwise, I'm only coming up with One Direction!

Also, I think LITFL would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    You need at least one musical act that is mainstream popular now to perform. Someone the young'ins care about. I'm only coming up with One Direction!

Also, I think LITFL would be a good choice.
    You're right, MC. I think there's usually a current popular act that's there and the rest are people who've been in the music business for years.

Its going to be interesting who they will pick for the guys. I agree that some of the country acts, pop and rock acts should pay tribute to the guys. The guys have worked with soo many people over the years. Its going to be interesting to see who will say yes.

I had always wonder if Miranda was going to be one of the performers to pay tribute to the guys if they guys were there last year. She probably was going to be there.

As for songs. I definitely see HC. Other songs, maybe: Desperado, Already Gone, Take It Easy or Peaceful Easy Feeling.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-10-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I too think Miranda was going to be part of the performers last year and makes me wonder if she'll participate again. I love the idea of Little Big Town doing a song as I've been a fan for years and they harmonize so well.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I too think Miranda was going to be part of the performers last year and makes me wonder if she'll participate again. I love the idea of Little Big Town doing a song as I've been a fan for years and they harmonize so well.
    When I first heard LBT they reminded me of the Eagles so much! I think they could really do any of their ballads justice.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    IMO. I just hate Glenn won't be able there for the presentation. That's the sad thing.
    I hear you. It made me sad to type that statement because it said they were going to postpone the presentation until Glenn could be there, too... but that will never happen now. It breaks my heart. At least he knew about the honor since it was announced before everything happened. It's a small comfort but still.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It makes me really sad, because you know the guys' tears are going to fall during the tribute, and not because they're happy to receive the honor. I think it's going to be a really somber ceremony at times.

For songs, anything on that bazillion-selling, record-setting Their Greatest Hits, 1971-1975 is fair game. Same goes for the second volume, because I will assume the organizers want to hear the band's, vice any solo, hits.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    It makes me really sad, because you know the guys' tears are going to fall during the tribute, and not because they're happy to receive the honor. I think it's going to be a really somber ceremony at times.

For songs, anything on that bazillion-selling, record-setting Their Greatest Hits, 1971-1975 is fair game. Same goes for the second volume, because I will assume the organizers want to hear the band's, vice any solo, hits.
    I don't think Already Gone or PEF should be played. They weren't written by any band members. I know all about 'honorary Eagle' Jack Tempchin but still.... I hope New Kid In Town is played.

Banned

I'm really not any clearer about The Kennedy Center Honors than I was when I first heard about it. It's a very prestigious honor but there aren't any rules or requirements to meet or follow. So they make the rules up as they go along, which I approve of.

I hope Glenn's family are able to except a posthumous award on his behalf. If the remaining Eagles perform or somebody else is invited to perform on their behalf, I hope It's Your World Now is the song chosen. Henley says it's a fitting closing statement from the band. I like the fact that it's actually from this century and I'd much rather allow Jack Tempchin to have something to crow about rather than Don Felder.

Funk 50. The guys will NOT performed. None of the honorees performed (of all the years I watch the special, the honorees never go on the stage and perform) and they don't say anything either at the gala performance.

Like I said earlier in this post. The honorees do not perform. They sit in the balcony with the other honorees, their family and the president. They just sit back and enjoy the performance of the people that are honoring them. They might say something at the other events that leads up to the big gala performance that Sunday, but at this particular one. They don't say anything or perform. That weekend is for them and see the people who are influenced by their work.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-11-2016 at 09:26 AM.

I'd love to see Heartache Tonight performed - it was co-written by Henley and Frey (with JDS and Pete Seger) and it'd be great if Pete Seger performed the song but like everyone else I have no idea what songs and performing artists make the cut and/or why. I'd also like to see New Kid in Town, HC and Desperado. At the end of the day, I'll be happy with whatever happens because it's a distinctive recognition that honors Glenn, Don H, Joe and Timothy in a very memorable and meaningful way.