Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Out on the Border

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Just to add my thoughts. This is really an honor of a lifetime, to say the least.

RE: the discussion. Obviously, since this is a major honor, I feel badly for Bernie, Randy and D. Felder who contributed so much to their history and classic sound. I know there's probably no way to make them feel better; but in my mind, when I read (the) Eagles were awarded a Kennedy Centre Honor, I envisioned the folks (all seven guys) who made those albums and made that history, being honored. To me, it's more about the intent (honoring excellent music made), than the details of who picked up the medals.

ETA: OH heck, that looks bad so let me clarify . I mean in my mind I see them all being honored with this award because to me, Eagles is that entire history and the entire catalog. Hopefully this makes sense.
    Last edited by Fleurette767; 07-17-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50
    It just looks like a high brow TV Awards show to me. Sorry if that insulting but I'm never-the-less pleased that The Eagles are deemed worthy of such an exclusive honour.
    Wow, what is up with the killjoys in here? The Eagles have been hugely honored, I don't see why some people feel the need to rain on the parade, does it give you some kind of pleasure to try and bring other people down? Yeah, you're pleased alright. Ha!

Sorry if I sound rude but it's annoying to see clueless people ~ who can't even be bothered to Google the award to find out more about it ~ make post after post pissing on an award Americans really value. Have some cultural sensitivity if nothing else. Your 'exclusive honour' line doesn't mean much after you've trashed the award.

It's a big deal in the USA. It's almost impossible to make this into a bad thing but I see some people are determined to give it their best shot.
    ~Sara

HD, I think one way to keep things positive is to not get riled up and instead, if you're happy about it, to keep focusing on what a wonderful honor this is.

If someone wishes to claim that it's not truly a high honor, well, let them think that if they want to. Their opinion doesn't change the reality of how prestigious this is. If it makes you feel any better, HD, there are people who "piss on" things like knighthoods, too!

As far as the apparent omission of the other guys - ideally, all of them would be feted, but it doesn't seem that will be the case. I don't object to people voicing that disappointment, although I don't think it's fair to blame Glenn and Don.

At any rate, I can't wait to see who is going to perform in their honor. They must be so thrilled!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

I hope my comments weren't taken to be offensive. I truly understand the nature of the award (this is the Big One!) and perhaps I gave a bad analogy.

Also LOL I don't mean to insult the four atop this page as "merely" going to pick up medals; but I'm thinking more about the spirit of the honor and since what I'm reading at the website spends a paragraph or two addressing the earlier history of the band I think of it more of an honor for their entire catalogue and history.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

There's something wrong with them if they aren't walking on air!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurette767 View Post
    I hope my comments weren't taken to be offensive. I truly understand the nature of the award (this is the Big One!) and perhaps I gave a bad analogy.

Also LOL I don't mean to insult the four atop this page as "merely" going to pick up medals; but I'm thinking more about the spirit of the honor and since what I'm reading at the website spends a paragraph or two addressing the earlier history of the band I think of it more of an honor for their entire catalogue and history.
    They do discuss their history and place in the soundtrack of American lives, and while they don't have hard and fast criteria, it is an honor from a PAC, and they do take the touring right up until the time of the award into consideration. The sold out shows in venues all across the US, no other single American band does that, and only a very few solo acts. To do that and have been doing it since the 70's, with a small vacation, I would assume had a lot to do with the award. I wish I could find the interview where Arch Campbell of NBC4 (and now WJLA, I think) interviewed a committee member before LZ's induction. He was wondering how they won when they hadn't performed at all since John Bonham died (except for once, but that was in the UK). The answer included the fact they'd toured with other groups or as solo artists, and still doing it at the time of the award. I think it was Arch Campbell, I can't imagine who else I would have watched. At any rate, remaining relevant seemed to be part of the consideration.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Haven't people commented that they seem especially happy on this leg of the tour?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Haven't people commented that they seem especially happy on this leg of the tour?
    Well, yes, but I thought it was because the tour was nearly over. But, yes, now that I know about the honor I would imagine it's that. Or, maybe, both.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

That's a good point about it being a Performing Arts organisation so they would consider live performances as much as recordings. Which also has me thinking that the band's determination to make live concerts sound as good as the original recordings must have influenced many people over the last forty years regardless of those who like to sneer at it.

Out on the Border

Oh yeahhhhhh. That also explains why no writers are honored other than Tennessee Williams, who wrote plays, that were performed. Because I was thinking OK what about John Steinbeck?

OK. On to musing about who will give the speech and perform.

In terms of the speech, Zepp got Jack Black who was perfect. He has so much energy and zeal and I remember cringing thinking please let these guys laugh and they did! And Art Garfunkel for Brian Wilson positively made me cry.

I hope they get someone who can do them justice. I want someone who truly loves them. To me, since TRAVIS TRITT seems to be the lightning bolt that charged up ACT II here, why not him? What about Garth Brooks? Putting aside the auto-tuning and whatnot, I hear so much EAGLES in new country. And especially the writing too. To me, it seems a lot of the songwriting starts with a very clever catchphrase, much like "Lyin Eyes" and "LITFL" started and then a song comes from that.

I wonder if Garth Brooks was riding to a poker game with a drug dealer who was holding doing 90 and Garth said "anybody I know gonna be at this game? And the dealer said, "just you wait and see buddy, I got friends in low places" and Garth said...."ahhh... now there's an idea."

I don't need a marquee name, just someone who has passion for this band to make me laugh or cry.