Page 14 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Out on the Border

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Because I wasn't sure if Garth even wrote that song anyway, I Wiki'd it. OK it was written by Earl Bud Lee (LOL) but this is unbelievable. NO WAY.

"According to Earl Bud Lee, one of the song's co-writers, the idea of the song was born when he and some songwriting friends gathered for lunch one day at Tavern on the Row, a popular Nashville eatery. When the check came, Lee realized he had forgotten his money. He was asked how he was going to pay for the meal, and he replied, "Don't worry. I have friends in low places. I know the cook."Lee and his songwriting partner, Dewayne Blackwell, immediately recognized that the line "friends in low places" had potential, but they didn't act upon it immediately."

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurette767 View Post

"According to Earl Bud Lee, one of the song's co-writers, the idea of the song was born when he and some songwriting friends gathered for lunch one day at Tavern on the Row, a popular Nashville eatery. When the check came, Lee realized he had forgotten his money. He was asked how he was going to pay for the meal, and he replied, "Don't worry. I have friends in low places. I know the cook."Lee and his songwriting partner, Dewayne Blackwell, immediately recognized that the line "friends in low places" had potential, but they didn't act upon it immediately."
    Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Out on the Border

But notice how Glenn's songwriting story was wayyy cooler.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I love your ideas, Fleurette, but anyone who sang on Common Thread, and especially Travis Tritt, wouldn't be too much of a surprise. Given they like the surprise factor, I just don't know.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

[QUOTE=Brooke;305425]I'm like you, Lisa. I'm just happy the Eagles are receiving the honor. I don't care who is included. Don H., Glenn, Joe, and Tim have been there the longest, so this group is good for me. As for Bernie and Randy, they quit the band years ago themselves and Don F. was fired, so I understand why they weren't included.

Some Eagles recieve honor not all. All seven induct in RRHOF, this should be same.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Goran, none of them are being inducted individually. It is the "Eagles" that is being inducted. Bernie, Randy and Don F. will be acknowledged as former members (who everyone knows contributed significantly.)

What you are talking about is who will be sitting in those seats on that night. Since the RRHoF ceremony, Don Felder HAS SUED the band, and the litigation is still going on, so there is NO WAY IN HECK that he will be there. Don and Glenn would not attend if the organizers required that Felder be invited. So right there, you don't have the full set of 7 guys. Then you're looking at 6 of the 7 - how does that make sense? It makes the most sense to have the current members of the band present. When Bernie and Randy quit the band, they forfeited future fun events. They were privileged to be included in the RRHoF ceremony, they didn't have the right to be included.

[quote=GoranV;305542]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm like you, Lisa. I'm just happy the Eagles are receiving the honor. I don't care who is included. Don H., Glenn, Joe, and Tim have been there the longest, so this group is good for me. As for Bernie and Randy, they quit the band years ago themselves and Don F. was fired, so I understand why they weren't included.

Some Eagles recieve honor not all. All seven induct in RRHOF, this should be same.
    This is NOT the RRHOF (this is a real honor), Goran, and the criteria to get in is much more stringent! However, if you have a real problem with how the committee selects their very exclusive honorees, feel free to contact them via the Kennedy Center website.

ETA: Goran, I want to make sure you know that I understand where you are coming from, but when you look at it from the committee's standpoint, Bernie quit the band, Randy quit the band. It doesn't matter the reasons, only that they quit. It's a lifetime achievement kind of award, and not what they accomplished in the 70's only. It's the entire career, 1971 through today, all the songs, all the albums, all the solo work (probably), and all the concerts throughout ALL the years. It also includes the impact on American culture when they got back together again in 1994. The Farewell 1 DVD was filmed in Australia, but it had a huge impact here. LROOE, definitely. Even their song "Hole in the World", about a huge, significant event in American history. It also includes their current tour and the fact they are as perfect and relevant as ever.

These criteria are my opinion, the committee doesn't justify why they include inductees and why they don't. All I can say is they do specify it's a body of work over a lifetime, not just a few years, regardless of how amazing those few years were.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 07-17-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Goran, none of them are being inducted individually. It is the "Eagles" that is being inducted. Bernie, Randy and Don F. will be acknowledged as former members (who everyone knows contributed significantly.)

What you are talking about is who will be sitting in those seats on that night. Since the RRHoF ceremony, Don Felder HAS SUED the band, and the litigation is still going on, so there is NO WAY IN HECK that he will be there. Don and Glenn would not attend if the organizers required that Felder be invited. So right there, you don't have the full set of 7 guys. Then you're looking at 6 of the 7 - how does that make sense? It makes the most sense to have the current members of the band present. When Bernie and Randy quit the band, they forfeited future fun events. They were privileged to be included in the RRHoF ceremony, they didn't have the right to be included.
    Mary, while I see what you are saying, that Randy, Bernie, and Felder will be acknowledged as former members, I will be very surprised if they have individual biographies listed, since they didn't in the press release. They only listed biographies of the current line-up. I also doubt that the former members will receive medals. Which is why Goran is not happy, along with the fact they won't be at any of the ceremonies.

I agree that there's the possibility that Glenn and Don might refuse to make an appearance if Felder were there. I don't know, because I've never heard of anyone refusing to appear, but it's possible that if they refused to appear, the honor would go away. So...if the committee had decided on all seven, I'm not sure how far Glenn and Don would have taken it. This is a pretty important thing. However, like you said, and I also said, those who quit and those who wrote a Book of Hate forfeited their chances.
    VK

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Oh no, they are definitely not getting medals or bios. I was thinking that they will be acknowledged during the ceremony while the history of the band is recounted. I would be surprised if they were left out of the narrative. Everyone knows that the vast majority of what the Eagles are being honored for was created during Bernie's, Randy's and Don F.'s tenures with the band. I don't see how you could ignore them and not acknowledge them.

The Eagles, as a band,not as individuals, received honorary degrees from Berklee College of Music "for their achievements and influence in music, and for their enduring contributions to American and international culture." Should Bernie, Randy and Felder have been included? Timothy was inducted into the Colorado Hall of Fame with Poco. Should Randy have been included? There are many accolades coming to the current members because of their longevity. I really don't see how presenting this particular honor to the current members is controversial.

ETA: I am aware that by mentioning TBS's inclusion in Poco's HoF award, I am contradicting myself! I guess my explanation would be that Poco had many members over the years who were not included. Timothy is by far the most successful and famous, and his current stature in the industry raises the profile of Poco events. Richie and Paul wanted him involved for multiple reasons.

I also need to back up and say that I personally would be thrilled to have all 7 members present (and on the HOTE tour.) Nothing against any of them. But, I understand why it was decided to go this route.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 07-18-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Ok. I know Bernie, Randy or Don will not be part of this honor. Heck I knew that when they first announced the guys being honorees and even some of the articles said the current member, but I also know their will be footage of those three in the video montage to talk about the history of the Eagles. Believe me. I wasn't upset about that. Heck. Before the HOTE documentary, I only knew of both Dons, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. SO I wasn't upset about the other three not part of it. I knew it will only be Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. Plus I'm one of the ones who was soo happy they finally got this honoree even though I didn't know how big and special this award was even though I've been watch KCH for years. This award is very well deserve for the guys.

Am I the only person who knows about the small video montage they do before the tribute performance. They do that with all the honorees. Its even shown in Billy's video I posted. They have to talk about the former members and how they came to what they are now in the video.

I've been saying that's the only time we will see or hear their names during the video montage. You have to remember, the presenter who will talk about the Eagles history has to say something about Randy, Bernie, and Don F or show clips of them in that video. Its like let's skip all the albums between Eagles LP and even HFO and go straight to LROOF and today. You just can't do that. I know they will talk about HFO because that's when they got back together 14 years after they broke up. I know that will be video montage package. So they will probably see Don F in a clip from that era. You know they are going to talk about HC. So Randy will probably be seen in a clip from the 70s about HC unless they do a current clip.

SO unless the people who put together the video montage before the guest performers sing leave everything out from 1972 to 1994, I do expect to see those guys in the video montage. Yes I know they are not being honored, but I have a feeling they can't leave them out when it comes to how they form in that video montage.

Does anybody understand what I'm saying now about the video package? That's what I've been trying to explain for a while. I know they won't be in the biographies on the website or in article, but I know they won't be left out of the video montage during the ceremony.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 07-18-2015 at 09:48 AM.