Page 27 of 86 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

I don't know why this is brought up again about the former members being honored. All this speculation has been going on ever since they announced it last year. I doubt they will change it.

The "ONLY" time we will hear Don F, Bernie and Randy's name and see them is during the little video montage they do on the background of the honorees before they do the performance part of their honor. And believe me, they will bring up Don F, Bernie and Randy's name during that video montage. If you have ever watched KCH, they say something about the current and former band members or if you are in a band you just being honored solo, they will bring up that part. The good, bad and ugly.

They have to bring up Bernie and Randy during the video montage because they will talk about who was in the band when the guys first got together in 1971 and when they got back together in 1994 for HFO. They can't skip how they got together and they can't skip when they got together for HFO. That's a big chunk of their history of the band that's gone if they took that out.

They will show Don F especially if they say something about the HC album which they probably will since that's one of their biggest selling albums and of course HFO which he was part of. So they have to show those three former members. That's the ONLY time you will see and hear those three names, but I guess its not enough. They have to physically be there.

I just don't know how they are going to do Glenn. I know they probably say something in the video montage of their founding member died this year. Its sad he won't be there to be honored with Don, Joe and Timothy.

As for HC. If I remembered correctly, Don H and Glenn are also the co-writers of HC. Don F wrote the music. Don H and Glenn wrote the lyrics. So why is it any controversy of them playing that song at KCH. If that was true, the Eagles should had stopped playing that song when Don F left the band in 2001 or Don F could had told them to stop playing that song in concert or the other way around. You really can't tell somebody to stop playing a song that you also wrote unless you sue them to stop which I doubt Don F did that when he sued Don and Glenn some years ago. I will be surprised too if they don't perform HC at KCH.

We just have to wait and see when they announce KCH next month IF the guys are even still going to do KCH and who will be honored, but I think its going to the current surviving members.

I'm sorry for being rude or upset about this, but this subject about who should be honored its just getting very old.

This is probably why KCH don't honored bands that much. They will be fussed it about who should also be honored and why this member wasn't.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-10-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why people are worried Glenn won't get honored. He already has been honored, while he was still alive. The actual ceremony hasn't occurred - that was put off - but the honor has already been bestowed. People are worrying over nothing, IMHO.

Some quotes to back me up:

"Though they were not in the audience, the ceremony still honored the group in absentia"

http://tasteofcountry.com/miranda-la...-honors-video/

A line from the Eagles statement:

"We are deeply grateful to have been named a Kennedy Center honoree"

Notice the tense that I've highlighted. It's not "We are deeply grateful that we WILL BE NAMED a Kennedy Center honoree."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz4BBcgUkdT

If you think the above may have just been misunderstandings or poorly phrased, this is what the KCH has on its site. Again, notice what I've highlighted:

"The presentation of a Kennedy Center Honors to the popular rock band, Eagles, has been postponed to 2016. "The Eagles will be unable to participate in the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors on December 6 due to Glenn Frey's health," said the band in a statement. "The Kennedy Center has graciously agreed to postpone the Eagles' award presentation until next year, when all four Eagles, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit, can attend."

They do not say they are postponing the award itself, just the PRESENTATION Of the award. I take this to mean that the award itself has already been bestowed.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/pages/...levents/honors

Look at it this way. You've just won your race at the Olympics. From the moment you win, you are the "gold medalist". This is true before you actually get the medal at the ceremony. If, God forbid, you die of a heart attack before you get to the podium, you will still be remembered as the "gold medalist" for that year. The medal itself is just a symbol. The honor is not dependent on you getting it hung around your neck.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for that explanation, Soda. Maybe your post will clear up some misunderstanding about the KCH. You're right. It did say "have been name" not "will be name".

IMO. I just hate Glenn won't be there for the presentation. That's the sad thing.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-10-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree Soda. I think a lot of the confusion was because like I said earlier a death never happened to a Kennedy Center honoree before. Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy were the only ones listed last year and were already honorees so it still counts. It really is up to the Kennedy Center and the rest of the band but it should still go on. We won't know for sure till it's officially announced next month. And I've watched the show before too and the others members will be mentioned but the award will only go to those named and it would still be the four that were named in 2015.

As for "Hotel California", that for sure will be played. I personally would hope it will be a variety of famous artists from both the rock and country genres as the Eagles influenced both genres so much. I automatically pictured someone like Keith Urban and Dave Grohl doing the guitar solos for HC, and maybe getting Brad Paisley or Vince Gill involved as well as friends like Jackson Browe and Bob Segar. They'll probably highlight a song each one of the four sang lead on, and then do HC last.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

The invitation-only weekend-long ceremony includes the Chairman's Luncheon, State Department dinner, White House reception and the Honors gala performances and supper.

Surrounded by the Honorees, the luncheon is held on Saturday at the Kennedy Center, with a welcoming speech by the Chairman of the Board of Trustees. At that evening's reception and dinner at the State Department, presided over by the Secretary of State, the Honorees are introduced and the Honors medallions are presented by the Chairman of the Board.[8] The wide rainbow-colored ribbon then hung around the necks of the recipients, and prominently noticeable when the events are televised, symbolizes "a spectrum of many skills within the performing arts" according to creator Ivan Chermayeff.[9]

On Sunday, there is an early-evening White House reception[10] hosted by the President of the United States and the First Lady, followed by the Honors gala performance at the Kennedy Center and supper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Center_Honors

Last edited by Dawn; 06-10-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thank you for the clarification, Soda. I'm happy and relieved to hear that!

Buffyfan, I really like your thinking with regard to possible performers, it would definitely be a good idea to include both rock and country artists to emphasise the influence of the Eagles on both genres. I don't have any strong suggestions as to who I think should perform, beyond saying that I think the rockers would be more naturally suited to a song like Hotel California whereas country artists would probably do better on a song like Desperado, while I think Take It Easy could go either way (I mention these as I feel these are all very strong candidates for inclusion, although given that Miranda Lambert did Desperado last year they could use something different). Looking at the list of performers at the Led Zeppelin tribute, with the possible exception of Heart, I don't think the others were particularly obvious choices but I'm sure there's plenty of very talented musicians who could do a great job.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

On Sunday, there is an early-evening White House reception[10] hosted by the President of the United States and the First Lady, followed by the Honors gala performance at the Kennedy Center and supper.
    Wow, this is so cool, can't believe they could get to do this. I could see the three guys and their wives and Irving and Cindy or Cindy with her 3 kids.

BUT WAIT, when is the ceremony? Will Obama still be in office??? I'll bet he loves the Eagles, I can see him in Hawaii in the late 70s, smokin' some weed and listening to some HC!! No, seriously, what's the date for 2017? Do we have it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Wow, this is so cool, can't believe they could get to do this. I could see the three guys and their wives and Irving and Cindy or Cindy with her 3 kids.

BUT WAIT, when is the ceremony? Will Obama still be in office??? I'll bet he loves the Eagles, I can see him in Hawaii in the late 70s, smokin' some weed and listening to some HC!! No, seriously, what's the date for 2017? Do we have it?
    I think its usually the first weekend of December. Even though the gala performance is that first week of December along with everything, the gala performance is usually shown on tv either after Christmas or close to New Year's Eve.

Yes. Obama will be there. This will be his last one and whoever is president next year will be there next year.

The White House reception is usually put up on YouTube. So we will get to see that and hear the president talk about each honorees and what he was doing when they were huge. I don't know how long it usually is, but I've seen only 15 minutes of it online.

Here's a video from 2 years ago. This is probably what it is going on during the reception. Like I said. They don't put up the whole reception. Just the president saying something about each honoree.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFw8uZQIcUo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BA98ZNmv4[/ame]
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-10-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post

Lol, MC! The ceremony is in December and I assume Obama will be there because the new President won't take over till around January 20th even though the election is in November. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

And THANK YOU, SODA, for explaining this again! I'm very tired of the speculation too.

As far as songs that will be performed, surely HC and Take It Easy. I can't imagine what else. Maybe Peaceful Easy Feeling, One of These Nights, Best of My Love.....???

Who? Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Little Big Town, Jamey Johnson, Ashley Monroe......???

Does anyone know who picks the artists to perform?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I think the people at the KCH or a committee probably picks them. The honorees usually suppose to not know who will be there.

You're right, Brooke. President Obama will be at this year's KCH. This will be his last one and then the new president will be there next year. When its election year, I don't think the new president for the following year will be there.

I always wonder who is picked to sit by the president every year. LOL