Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    So here's a question for thought for us: If the Eagles had never reunited in 1994 and we only had up to The Long Run, would the Kennedy Center be honoring them? On one hand, I think yes, based on album sales and the ubiquity and popularity of their music. On the other hand, HFO and HoTE, especially the documentary, really kept them relevant and in the public consciousness...thoughts?
    I think you bring up an excellent point, MC. I don't know the real answer, but I've always believed the success of the resumption and the fact that band managed to stay together, tour, and release another album, as well as, several successful DVDs (and the HoTE documentary) definitely helped elevate them to the legendary band that they are now. To turn it around another way, if they had failed and/or disbanded after 1994 resumption, would they be receiving this honor? I'm kinda thinking not.

With regard to the final lineup being honored, I do believe the final decision rests with the Kennedy Center. The award is too prestigious for them to allow others to dictate who will be honored. As far as the former members attending, how do we know that Don and Glenn didn't reach out to them last year and encourage them to attend? At the time of Glenn's death, both Randy and Felder stated that they had planned on attending. So, it's hard to know what goes on behind the scenes. It reminds me of how outraged some folks were about how Randy was so mistreated by Don and Glenn after the HoTE documentary - only then to find out from Randy himself that the Eagles had paid for his recent medical bills around that time. Just saying that while we can speculate here, maybe it's wise to withhold very harsh judgments when we don't know all the facts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The KCH Facebook page posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Oh, I love that.
    ME TOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I think you bring up an excellent point, MC. I don't know the real answer, but I've always believed the success of the resumption and the fact that band managed to stay together, tour, and release another album, as well as, several successful DVDs (and the HoTE documentary) definitely helped elevate them to the legendary band that they are now. To turn it around another way, if they had failed and/or disbanded after 1994 resumption, would they be receiving this honor? I'm kinda thinking not.

With regard to the final lineup being honored, I do believe the final decision rests with the Kennedy Center. The award is too prestigious for them to allow others to dictate who will be honored. As far as the former members attending, how do we know that Don and Glenn didn't reach out to them last year and encourage them to attend? At the time of Glenn's death, both Randy and Felder stated that they had planned on attending. So, it's hard to know what goes on behind the scenes. It reminds me of how outraged some folks were about how Randy was so mistreated by Don and Glenn after the HoTE documentary - only then to find out from Randy himself that the Eagles had paid for his recent medical bills around that time. Just saying that while we can speculate here, maybe it's wise to withhold very harsh judgments when we don't know all the facts.
    You mean Bernie

Nope - IIRC Felder wrote on his Facebook page that he had intended on attending. I don't recall seeing any comment from Bernie about the KCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Nope - IIRC Felder wrote on his Facebook page that he had intended on attending. I don't recall seeing any comment from Bernie about the KCH.
    WHAAAAT? . I am surprised if this is true that He would be in the same theater as Don Tim Joe and Cindy.

I knew Randy was going, but Felder. I'm shocked on that one. I missed that one about Felder was going last year.

I'll see if I can find the post later. It may be in one of Glenn's tribute threads. But, for right now, I've been trying to play 'catch up' on the board all afternoon and I really need to get some other things done around the house.

Banned

I'm sure Felder can afford a ticket to the event. If it's a televised event, he'd be looking for a shout out on camera.

As to the point about the Hell never freezing over. I think Abba, who's career was similarly kept alive by radio after they split, are a band that never reunited. Well not until a few weeks ago when they performed album track The Way Old Friends Do at a low key celebration.

I think, although the Eagles remained a very successful live act til the end, they never topped the success of the Hell Freezes Over tour when many major touring acts postponed their tours as concert fans spent all their money on Eagles tickets.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    So here's a question for thought for us: If the Eagles had never reunited in 1994 and we only had up to The Long Run, would the Kennedy Center be honoring them? On one hand, I think yes, based on album sales and the ubiquity and popularity of their music. On the other hand, HFO and HoTE, especially the documentary, really kept them relevant and in the public consciousness...thoughts?
    All that and the the touring. Their shows were hugely popular and many sold out.

And remember, as for who will be in the audience, tickets to this event are very expensive. I don't know how much, but not just anyone can afford it.

ETA: Of course any of the former members can afford it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

One price I saw was $5,000 per ticket