Page 6 of 86 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Shun, the committee decides who will perform their songs, and it's a well kept secret! The link that shows the former inductees says that along the top, no one knows until the show is in progress. Since it's not aired until weeks later, CBS will have time to hype whomever.

From that same link, I thought this was worth quoting here as they try to explain what this Honor means. The emphasis is mine.

The Honors have been compared to a knighthood in Britain, or the French Legion of Honor--the quintessential reward for a lifetime's endeavor. At the same time, the annual addition of new names to the roster of Honors recipients charts the international standard of excellence set by America's artists, as well as the aesthetic inspiration provided by artists of other nations who have achieved prominence on these shores.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    There's been a few posts here that discuss the current four vs. all seven. The Kennedy Center listed only the current four, and I seriously doubt that will change now. Also, this isn't like the RRHOF where people get to pick and choose and decide, although except for LZ, there's been no precedent. I'm not entirely certain an artist can decline the honor, although I'm not sure why someone would want to. So, no, I don't think this will be a bone of contention at least with the band, because I really doubt it's their choice.

ETA: On the question of dress, it's a formal event and unlike the RRHOF event, elegance is the name of the game.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. You do not need to be currently active, but if you're not, they may not think of you when deciding. You don't need a lot of awards, grammys, etc. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.
    I figured that the band didn't have anything to do with who the committee picked.

I know that this event is much more formal than the HOF. (Heck, Glenn didn't wear a bow tie to it). My uncle and I discussed the wardrobe aspect when I told him this afternoon. He brought up Joe's knack for wacky attire, and that he couldn't wait to see what Joe would wear. I've only seen parts of the airings before. I take it as the event is strictly black tie? (Pardon my lack of knowledge. Dressing up for me is my best pair of jeans and best poli shirt).

Hmm, no criteria? That's bit odd, but also cool.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I bet Marjorie will make sure Joe looks great.

Shun, the committee decides who will perform their songs, and it's a well kept secret! The link that shows the former inductees says that along the top, no one knows until the show is in progress. Since it's not aired until weeks later, CBS will have time to hype whomever.

From that same link, I thought this was worth quoting here as they try to explain what this Honor means. The emphasis is mine.
    Thanks for the explanation, VA. To tell the truth, I didn't know how big this honor is until now. I always thought of RRHOF as a big honor to get, but never this one. I always watched every year, but never really understood it.

I'm glad we don't have to wait until December 29 to find out who will be pay tribute to the guys because we will know the next day after the taping. Right now, we can only guess who the committee will pick and what 4 or 5 songs those guest will sing. Too bad we don't get to see the ceremony who they are honored by the President. I would love to hear what he say about the guys.

This year, I've heard of 5 of the 6 honorees. So I'm going to enjoy this year instead of wondering can I hear somebody I know. LOL

Its going to be cool to see all the guys wives there with them. I know usually Joe's, Glenn's and Timothy's wife are with them when they go to something like this, but its going to be cool to see Sharon there.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Actually, it's not something that is often discussed, and doesn't match up to this honor, but getting into the Songwriters Hall of Fame is a real honor as well. It's probably an achievement Glenn and Don prefer over the RRHOF. Or maybe that's just me. The RRHOF is hyped more, but that's about it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    But I always wonder who picks the artist to pay tribute to the honorees. Does the committee or the honoree. I always wonder about that every year.

When I watched the year Billy Joel was honored, he looked surprise that Don was there.

It's going to be interesting who will pay tribute to them and what songs they'll be singing. I think I have a feeling for Take It Easy and Hotel California, but not the other songs. They usually have 4 or 5 songs sung. I guess the next thread coming soon will be who should be asked and what songs should be sung. I so can't wait to see this December 29th.

I had found Billy Joel's whole segment on YouTube. I've been looking for 2 years because I wanted to see Garth's part again.

Also. If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist, they get to wear their medal that night and the announcer will say "Ladies and gentlemen. 2015 recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, blank blank."
    There is no need for a new thread. Even when the event takes place surely we can discuss it in this thread. To answer, I have no idea who should be asked or which songs should be sung. I wouldn't have a clue.

Regarding the comparison with a knighthood, a more appropriate comparison would be to a Companion of Honour or even the Order of Merit which is held by a very small number of people. Knighthoods are dished out twice a year to dozens of recipients. The Legion d'Honneur is more like these honours.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Its going to be cool to see all the guys wives there with them. I know usually Joe's, Glenn's and Timothy's wife are with them when they go to something like this, but its going to be cool to see Sharon there.

I would not make such an assumption.

Actually, it's not something that is often discussed, and doesn't match up to this honor, but getting into the Songwriters Hall of Fame is a real honor as well. It's probably an achievement Glenn and Don prefer over the RRHOF. Or maybe that's just me. The RRHOF is hyped more, but that's about it.
    I forgot about the Songwriters Hall of Fame. I think all songwriters would definitely love that honor.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Since Carole King is being honored as well, the guys may be asked to honor her. I would probably faint if I heard/saw Glenn sing So Far Away because that song means so much to me. To hear him sing it would be beyond amazing! (I'm just talking and dreaming here, though).

I would think that their families would be there, but I don't know, especially with Sharon having MS. That's an awfully long trip from Texas to DC.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time