Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

When I watch every year, usually their wives, their husbands, their children (if they are not married), or girlfriends/boyfriends (example. I think Paul wasn't married to his current wife yet when he was honored) are sitting right behind them.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Since Carole King is being honored as well, the guys may be asked to honor her. I would probably faint if I heard/saw Glenn sing So Far Away because that song means so much to me. To hear him sing it would be beyond amazing! (I'm just talking and dreaming here, though).

I would think that their families would be there, but I don't know, especially with Sharon having MS. That's an awfully long trip from Texas to DC.
    If they are honorees, how could they participate in honouring someone else?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If they are honorees, how could they participate in honouring someone else?
    Right, I find that scenario very unlikely. They like to have the honorees sitting in a prominent place, enjoying the show. Plus, at rehearsals, they could inadvertently find out who's singing their songs.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Shun's comment about "*If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist" is why I thought of that. You ladies are probably right, but hey, I can dream, can't I?
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Shun's comment about "*If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist" is why I thought of that. You ladies are probably right, but hey, I can dream, can't I?
    Well, I'd rather they do that in two different years. So we get to see them twice, of course.
    VK

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Well, I'd rather they do that in two different years. So we get to see them twice, of course.
    True . The more we get to see them, the better, especially since I'll probably never see them in concert.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

This is quite the black tie formal affair but I'm sure they all have a tux somewhere among their blue jeans and plaid shirts! I think it will be fantastic to see them dressed to the nines! And I have no doubt Marjorie will make sure Joe puts his best foot forward!

As for who will be handed the dubious honors of performing the tributes, my first thought was 'Oh, how I wish Linda was still able to perform.' I can't think of anyone else better suited to sing Desperado (and you KNOW someone will sing it)! It's not as if countless artists have done covers of any of their hits. But I'll be surprised if Jackson Browne isn't among the select few. Otherwise it's a tough call to speculate on. They've all individually worked with some remarkable people thru the years but as a whole the only name that comes to mind is Travis Tritt! Maybe they'll have him sing "Take It Easy" which I think would be awesome since working with him on the Common Threads cut played a part in hell freezing over!
    I just need a little downtime.........

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    [/B]

I would not make such an assumption.
    Why would you assume Don's wife would not be there with him? It's Don's highest honor so why wouldn't she be there unless there is a valid reason for her not to be???
    Last edited by L101; 07-16-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    There's been a few posts here that discuss the current four vs. all seven. The Kennedy Center listed only the current four, and I seriously doubt that will change now. Also, this isn't like the RRHOF where people get to pick and choose and decide, although except for LZ, there's been no precedent. I'm not entirely certain an artist can decline the honor, although I'm not sure why someone would want to. So, no, I don't think this will be a bone of contention at least with the band, because I really doubt it's their choice.

To be honest, there aren't many honors out there, in the US, higher than this one for the Performing Arts. I guess I just want to make sure our worldwide members really understand what an absolute honor this is.

ETA: On the question of dress, it's a formal event and unlike the RRHOF event, elegance is the name of the game.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. You do not need to be currently active, but if you're not, they may not think of you when deciding. You don't need a lot of awards, grammys, etc. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

Thanks for the info VA.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

This really doesn't sound very prestigious to me. I'll need to know who the "they" are and "they" got the job.

I'm sure folks can refuse the honour. It can't be compulsory. I bet honorees have to confirm that they'll show up before their names are publicised.

I can go with the current quartet excepting the honour, although only half of them are on the biggest selling record in the 20th Century. They've stuck it out for longest. Bernie's current run with the band must be getting close to being longer than his first.

Here is another article, and it does give some names of those who are on the committee.

http://www.guidelive.com/music/2015/...edy-center-nod

I believe the reason they do not have criteria is because they know that those other awards can be misleading. The number of Grammys? Not every artist that has made an impact on American culture over the course of a lifetime has won a lot of Grammy's, and it's not a useful measure when comparing against comedians and dancers. All I can say is that I've been following these awards, more or less, since I moved to the DC area in 1980, and I've never, ever heard anyone, general public or art critic, disagree with any of the inductees being deserving, which is far more than can be said for those receiving Grammys. As I said, it's a high honor, and the Center takes pride in it being a high honor, and they would never risk sullying it by voting in someone who doesn't deserve it. I put the link for those who've received it in the past, I didn't see anyone who didn't deserve it.
    VK