Page 78 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

I watched the whole thing.

I'm going to rate the performances, which I think might be interesting, for me at least.

I'll just start by saying I enjoyed all of them, but some stood out to me more than others.

I'm probably showing my bias here but here we go:

Hotel California with Juanes (Steuart Smith and Steve Vai on gtr)
    Heartache Tonight with Bob Seger
    Life In The Fast Lane (with everybody)
    Take It Easy with Kings Of Leon
    Peaceful Easy Feeling with Vince Gill

A couple things:

I am not a Steve Vai fan, IMO he is great at technicality and precision, but looses some of the feel some bluesier less theory-intense guitarists have. He's a great guitarists but the weedly wees get on my nerves. I'd rather hear one bent note played with feeling. But anyway, I thought this was some of his better playing I'd heard. Still not a huge fan, but props deserved so kudos.

I'm not sure why Juanes was playing a electric guitar with just chords, I think it would have looked more appropriate with an acoustic capoed at 2nd fret like Glenn. It is a pet peeve of strummy-type rhythm players playing electric, god forbid on a clean setting. To me they are better served even in sound by getting a nice acoustic-electric and one that plays with great action. It reminds me of Thomas Rhett, who I actually really like a lot, running around the stage playing one chord during the choruses and then slinging it around his back and running around like it's not even there. Or Kenny Chesney (also a fan of him), who's electric has been photographed not even plugged in onstage! (no it wasn't wireless, there was no cord in the output jack). Totally for show. Or maybe DH with his Tele Deluxe. Although he plays more now, to be fair. lol

Lastly, I had no idea who Kings Of Leon were, but I thoroughly enjoyed their tribute. Granted, I like the rock-y stuff more, but they did a fantastic job! I will listen to their stuff and see if it is to my liking or not, but like Steve Vai, they deserve props for a great performance. So I was digging that one for sure.

All in all a good show. Am I still upset about the lack of any kind of recognition for the former three, very much so. But the artists asked to play did great!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I am not a Steve Vai fan, IMO he is great at technicality and precision, but looses some of the feel some bluesier less theory-intense guitarists have. He's a great guitarists but the weedly wees get on my nerves. I'd rather hear one bent note played with feeling. But anyway, I thought this was some of his better playing I'd heard.
    OT: I still think his best playing was in the "Crossroads" guitar duel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMAkr_Z74E8

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    .... I have to admit to being disappointed apart from Bob of course. There just didn't seem any real 'guts' for want of a better word in either The Kings of Leon or Juanes' performances and yes I know they weren't singing their songs but think about how Don put such emotion into She's got a way about her for Billy Joel....

Sex On Fire is Kings Of Leon's Funk #49 ie. if they realized they'd have to play this song for the rest of their lives, they'd have written something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRhMXOZRFQ

Alwaysgreat to see an audience "in the moment"

I notice Beyonce has covered it.

What would be the Eagles KCH equivalent of Don singing She's Got A Way for Billy Joel?

Mick Jagger singing Good Day In Hell or Hollywood Waltz maybe..

Out on the Border

Watched the show and while Stuart Smith may be a good guitar player, he just couldn't carry Felder's water during that particular playing of Hotel California. It just didn't seem to have the edge that I have seen on other videos.

I'm glad that it's over and we can go back to our memories of when the music really ripped.

Marshmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmaster View Post
    Watched the show and while Stuart Smith may be a good guitar player, he just couldn't carry Felder's water during that particular playing of Hotel California. It just didn't seem to have the edge that I have seen on other videos.

I'm glad that it's over and we can go back to our memories of when the music really ripped.

Marshmaster
    He is a very good player and deserves more credit than he gets. After all, the guy has been with them since what, 2001? Yet he is never included in the pictures and is certainly not allowed to call himself an Eagle.

That said, he is no Felder, and sadly I think it has effected Walsh over the years.
    When Felder & Walsh played together, it was something magical, with both trying to outdo each other, thereby bringing them to new heights. Both have different styles to be sure, but that is another component of their magic together.
    Seeing Walsh play with Smith seemed more like he was waiting for Smith, rather than be challenged and putting more zip into his performance. It is like playing with a huge enthusiastic crowd (where you feed of their energy), vs. a small venue that is sedate. In the latter you might just be playing while going through the motions vs. being pumped/enthused.

`
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmaster View Post

Marshmaster
    Because Steuart Smith and Don Felder are two completely different guitar players....Only Don Felder can play like Don Felder. Steaurt is more of a Country Rock based player and Felder is a heavier blues player. Steaurt can go toe two toe with Felder anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    He is a very good player and deserves more credit than he gets. After all, the guy has been with them since what, 2001? Yet he is never included in the pictures and is certainly not allowed to call himself an Eagle.

That said, he is no Felder, and sadly I think it has effected Walsh over the years.
    When Felder & Walsh played together, it was something magical, with both trying to outdo each other, thereby bringing them to new heights. Both have different styles to be sure, but that is another component of their magic together.
    Seeing Walsh play with Smith seemed more like he was waiting for Smith, rather than be challenged and putting more zip into his performance. It is like playing with a huge enthusiastic crowd (where you feed of their energy), vs. a small venue that is sedate. In the latter you might just be playing while going through the motions vs. being pumped/enthused.

`
    Here is what Joe thinks of Steuart
    '
    "[The replacement guitarist] is Stuart Smith. Sometimes I really hate him, 'cause he's really good. He really makes me play."

http://www.inmusicwetrust.com/articles/52h09.html

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Because Steuart Smith and Don Felder are two completely different guitar players....Only Don Felder can play like Don Felder. Steaurt is more of a Country Rock based player and Felder is a heavier blues player. Steaurt can go toe two toe with Felder anyday.
    I gave the guy props, but lets not get carried away.

Here is what Joe thinks of Steuart
    '
    "[The replacement guitarist] is Stuart Smith. Sometimes I really hate him, 'cause he's really good. He really makes me play."

http://www.inmusicwetrust.com/articles/52h09.html
    I wont discount what you posted, as I don't know what goes on in Walsh's head (thank goodness for that)
    Still, Walsh is a go along to get along type of guy, and he is not going to speak unkindly of a fellow musician, especially one he has toured with for 15 years.
    Don't get me wrong, I doubt he feels a lot differently that what he is saying, but you are not going to get him to be so ego driven as to say something that can offend Smith.
    Walsh is in a special place on the stage in the pantheon of rock guitarists, rest assured of that.

---

It was also kind of weird to see Smith performing with others there to pay tribute to the Eagles, when for all intents and purpose he is a member of the Eagles.

BTW - I was talking with a friend who is a Eagles fan, but not up on the individual names of the guys (though he does know Walsh from having seen him as a solo artist).
    Anyway, he commented on how "the other guitar player didn't seem as good as he use to be".
    I asked him what he meant, even though I knew what was coming. He had mistaken Smith for Felder, not really knowing what Felder looked like.
    When I explained that Felder was has not been with the Eagles since 2001, he said "no way, why"?
    I said, don't get me started.
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    I gave the guy props, but lets not get carried away.

I wont discount what you posted, as I don't know what goes on in Walsh's head (thank goodness for that)
    Still, Walsh is a go along to get along type of guy, and he is not going to speak unkindly of a fellow musician, especially one he has toured with for 15 years.
    Don't get me wrong, I doubt he feels a lot differently that what he is saying, but you are not going to get him to be so ego driven as to say something that can offend Smith.
    Walsh is in a special place on the stage in the pantheon of rock guitarists, rest assured of that.

---

It was also kind of weird to see Smith performing with others there to pay tribute to the Eagles, when for all intents and purpose he is a member of the Eagles.

BTW - I was talking with a friend who is a Eagles fan, but not up on the individual names of the guys (though he does know Walsh from having seen him as a solo artist).
    Anyway, he commented on how "the other guitar player didn't seem as good as he use to be".
    I asked him what he meant, even though I knew what was coming. He had mistaken Smith for Felder, not really knowing what Felder looked like.
    When I explained that Felder was has not been with the Eagles since 2001, he said "no way, why"?
    I said, don't get me started.
    Steuart is just as good if not better then Felder. By the way that interview was from 2001 so he had been sober for almost a decade. Id the Eagles+Joe were not happy with Steauart wouldnt they have given him the boot like they did wih Felder? I am a guitar player so my opinon is maybe a little bit more vaild then
    yours.

Why would you discount anyhing when it comes straight from the horses mouth?

Banned

I am a guitar player so my opinon is maybe a little bit more vaild then yours.
    That could've done with a run through spellcheck. I didn't realize that playing the guitar improved one's ability to form an opinion. One of the things I've learnt over many years is that the most valid opinion is rarely the best option.

I was surprised to see Steuart on stage taking part in an Eagles tribute. It's almost like they were struggling to find willing volunteers. Maybe he was subbing for somebody who dropped out late in the day.

To get a fair comparison of Felder versus Smith, we'd have to hear Felder playing some of Smith's Long Road Out Of Eden tunes.