Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    This is quite the black tie formal affair but I'm sure they all have a tux somewhere among their blue jeans and plaid shirts! I think it will be fantastic to see them dressed to the nines! And I have no doubt Marjorie will make sure Joe puts his best foot forward!

As for who will be handed the dubious honors of performing the tributes, my first thought was 'Oh, how I wish Linda was still able to perform.' I can't think of anyone else better suited to sing Desperado (and you KNOW someone will sing it)! It's not as if countless artists have done covers of any of their hits. But I'll be surprised if Jackson Browne isn't among the select few. Otherwise it's a tough call to speculate on. They've all individually worked with some remarkable people thru the years but as a whole the only name that comes to mind is Travis Tritt! Maybe they'll have him sing "Take It Easy" which I think would be awesome since working with him on the Common Threads cut played a part in hell freezing over!
    Traditionally, artists who have been greatly influenced by the inductees are the ones who perform. Someone who decided they wanted to be an artist because of the Eagles, or someone who decided on a specific direction. That was why I was so surprised that Don performed for Billy Joel's induction. So contemporaries aren't out of the question.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

IMO, it should be all 7, just like RRHOF. It is quite a slap in the face to Bernie who has been touring with them for over 2 years. I am sure that Glenn and Don did it this way so they could keep Felder out. If they keep all 3 out then no one can say they are singling Felder out. It is pretty BS if you ask me. But I would expect nothing less from Glenn and Don. Again this is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    IMO, it should be all 7, just like RRHOF. It is quite a slap in the face to Bernie who has been touring with them for over 2 years. I am sure that Glenn and Don did it this way so they could keep Felder out. If they keep all 3 out then no one can say they are singling Felder out. It is pretty BS if you ask me. But I would expect nothing less from Glenn and Don. Again this is my opinion.
    Your opinion is noted, however I'll repeat, this is NOTHING like the RRHOF. Nothing. I seriously doubt the band was given a choice, and it's unfair to assume they did and call them out for it. This isn't that flexible or informal. This is a seriously big deal, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the committee also considered only Don and Glenn. We'll never know, because those things are never made public, but remember, not even the Beatles are Honorees, only two individual members.

In addition, this is a lifetime contribution to US culture, and while Bernie has been back for two years, in 44 years of Eagles history, Bernie was a band member for about 8 of them. Felder's number of years with the band would make a good argument for him, but his seriously acrimonious book that concentrated on the Hell that was the Eagles (in his eyes) would remove him from the committee's consideration on it, in my opinion. I can't imagine they would ever consider inducting someone as part of a band who went to such an effort to vilify the very band they are inducting.

I've lost my recording, but does anyone remember if there was a post-humous award for John Bonham when Led Zeppelin was inducted?
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 07-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Traditionally, artists who have been greatly influenced by the inductees are the ones who perform. Someone who decided they wanted to be an artist because of the Eagles, or someone who decided on a specific direction. That was why I was so surprised that Don performed for Billy Joel's induction. So contemporaries aren't out of the question.
    Can we expect some young country singer like Taylor Swift? Or One Direction? They sometimes have passed honorees, so maybe Tom Hanks for the intros.

As for who to honor, as this is a lifetime award, the committee may have looked at longevity within the group. I'm not saying they would be right to use this criterion (over songs recorded or record sales, for example), but it's one that would favour the current line-up. It's a good point that the committee may have considered honoring just Don and Glenn.

I agree, UTW. I seem to have lost my edit to my post, so I'll say it again. In 44 years of Eagles history, Bernie has been with them for 8. I love Bernie and hope he continues to perform with them, but it's a lifetime thing.

As for Felder, I have no doubt that his book removed him from any serious contention for such an award. They would not consider inducting someone as part of a band who went to such great effort to publicly vilify the very band he would be part of as an inductee.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Your opinion is noted, however I'll repeat, this is NOTHING like the RRHOF. Nothing. I seriously doubt the band was given a choice, and it's unfair to assume they did and call them out for it. This isn't that flexible or informal. This is a seriously big deal, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the committee also considered only Don and Glenn. We'll never know, because those things are never made public, but remember, not even the Beatles are Honorees, only two individual members.

In addition, this is a lifetime contribution to US culture, and while Bernie has been back for two years, in 44 years of Eagles history, Bernie was a band member for about 8 of them. Felder's number of years with the band would make a good argument for him, but his seriously acrimonious book that concentrated on the Hell that was the Eagles (in his eyes) would remove him from the committee's consideration on it, in my opinion. I can't imagine they would ever consider inducting someone as part of a band who went to such an effort to vilify the very band they are inducting.

I've lost my recording, but does anyone remember if there was a post-humous award for John Bonham when Led Zeppelin was inducted?
    I know his son was playing drums when Heart sang Stairway to Heaven and they did that little thing at the end of Stairway to Heaven with wearing hats(I don't know if John wore those hats a lot when he was alive. I don't know Led Zeppelin's history), but I can look that up for you and see VA. Since it was the whole band being honored instead of just Robert and Jimmy, he probably was remembered.

OK, VA. I just watched Led Zeppelin's whole clip. The announcer did announced John's son Jason as he was coming on stage. He said, "Ladies and gentleman, the son of John Bonham, Jason Bonham, but that's all they said about John other than what was said in the package before the performers came out to do their songs. The guys were happy to see him there. Even Robert stood up.

When you click the link on the list of inductees, John Bonham was not inducted as part of Led Zeppelin in that his name appears nowhere on the list. He's mentioned in paragraphs, but not the list or individual biographies of those inducted.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/artist/A87853

Given that, it seems obvious the precedent was set that it's current members only.
    VK

Out on the Border

So I guess Bernie is not considered a current member.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So I guess Bernie is not considered a current member.
    No, he's not.
    VK