Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY - 7/25/2015

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY - 7/25/2015

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post

Anyone who may be thinking they can't continue to do this for a while and stay up to their own standards is dead wrong. I'm hoping that after a break and time to do other things, they'll at least do a few shows here and there. I would love new music, but I'll take what I can get.
    OMG, sounds like an absolutely wonderful show VA, and that they are so comfortable with the show that even the technical glitch at the start was smoothed over so easily and didn't stop everyones enjoyment of the show. Great to hear about the ovations and the fact that they were obviously having such great fun. I really think and hope what you are saying above is right. They are having too much success and fun to give it all up now. I'm delighted to say I made it to 8 shows and I can assure you that the ones in the UK/Ireland were just as high standard as the ones I saw in the States.

I sincerely hope they all have a good rest, that Don has great success with his new album and that they are invigorated again by the new year and ready to give us something new. And knowing these guys..... they are full of surprises... I think they might.......
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, wonderful review! I could just feel your love for the guys throughout!

TF, thanks for your thoughts too!

I only had the opportunity to go to one show on this tour, but it was wonderful and I'll never forget it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

For those of you who have been to more than one show, does Glenn always talk about the Beach Boys? At the most recent Miami show, he said the Beach Boys' vocals inspired him to write four and five-part harmonies for the Eagles. And that "we're the settlers, they were the pioneers."

I thought that was so cool! I wish the guys would speak more often about how they worked on the harmony aspect of the music. From other things I've read, Poco and Crosby, Stills & Nash were the main harmony influences.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    For those of you who have been to more than one show, does Glenn always talk about the Beach Boys? At the most recent Miami show, he said the Beach Boys' vocals inspired him to write four and five-part harmonies for the Eagles. And that "we're the settlers, they were the pioneers."

I thought that was so cool! I wish the guys would speak more often about how they worked on the harmony aspect of the music. From other things I've read, Poco and Crosby, Stills & Nash were the main harmony influences.
    He said that a lot in earlier concerts, and at times was quite chatty about it. Lately, he's been mentioning it less. In Baltimore, he didn't say anything before the song except about the audience being patient through the quieter numbers. For this show, he said that and added that it was slightly rearranged, but I can't remember his exact words. I haven't heard him mention the Beach Boys before the song in quite a while.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I shouldn't laugh, it's not funny, yet I laughed anyway. No air movement on stage until it becomes "uncomfortable"? It explains why the AC turned back on so quickly in Baltimore, and it's a very good thing this concert isn't today. It's ten degrees hotter outside, and much more humid. I'm glad Kentucky put on a good show for the Eagles, as it was beautiful outside when they were here.

Also in this article, it says the concert was 'record breaking'. If the review mentioned that, I missed it.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/07/27/3...-had.html?rh=1
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

He said that in Sydney on the first two nights. It received no response so he dropped it. He also said the line about settlers & pioneers before he did Caroline, No on the After Hours tour. To be brutal, Caroline, No was a far superior performance to the anodyne reworked Heartache Tonight which now follows this comment.

I know that Dreamer especially doesn't agree with the 'settlers/pioneers' line because she takes the view that the Eagles were pioneers too.I think all Glenn means is that the Beach Boys were the first American band to do those intricate five part harmonies (the Beatles normally did three parts at the most).

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I shouldn't laugh, it's not funny, yet I laughed anyway. No air movement on stage until it becomes "uncomfortable"? It explains why the AC turned back on so quickly in Baltimore, and it's a very good thing this concert isn't today. It's ten degrees hotter outside, and much more humid. I'm glad Kentucky put on a good show for the Eagles, as it was beautiful outside when they were here.

Also in this article, it says the concert was 'record breaking'. If the review mentioned that, I missed it.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/07/27/3...-had.html?rh=1
    I just wanna say that, during the summertime in the south, the temperature is always uncomfortable enough to require air conditioning! July/August are called "the dog days of summer" for a reason.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    To be brutal, Caroline, No was a far superior performance to the anodyne reworked Heartache Tonight which now follows this comment.
    That's only true if you happen to like the song Caroline, No. I can appreciate how Glenn sings it, he does a great job, but the song itself will never top Heartache Tonight, reworked or not, IMO. Of course, I like the reworked version of HT. I prefer the original, but I like the version they do now. I like any song that showcases their harmonies, and the reworked version does that better than the original. You can still sing along to it, it makes you want to dance instead of just stand and listen, and it makes you realize that no one does harmonies like these guys, not even the Beach Boys.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

That's only true if you happen to like the song Caroline, No. I can appreciate how Glenn sings it, he does a great job, but the song itself will never top Heartache Tonight, reworked or not, IMO. Of course, I like the reworked version of HT. I prefer the original, but I like the version they do now. I like any song that showcases their harmonies, and the reworked version does that better than the original. You can still sing along to it, it makes you want to dance instead of just stand and listen, and it makes you realize that no one does harmonies like these guys, not even the Beach Boys.
    OK, fine. I was very disappointed with the reworked HT, superior song or not. The energy was drained out of it & the emphasis on the harmonies meant Glenn himself seemed to fade away, which in my view he did far too often during the shows I saw.

Thanks for the great reviews and funny stories, helped ease my PEW a bit. Eagles concerts are always great but it sure sounds like the Kentucky concert was extra special. I hope GA is right and they will be back with new music after they get some rest.