Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden Preview

It is so nice to finally have the CD in my hot little hand! I listened to both CDs in order and Glenn's sequencing is perfect.

A few observations:

My favorite song, hands down, is Waiting in the Weeds. It is a masterpiece.

It has been funny to read some critics' comments about Do Something and Fast Company, since we have been listening to them for almost are year now and they are no longer "new."

I really like both of Joe's songs. They are upbeat and quirky and ideal for Joe. I feel the same way about I Don't Want to Hear Anymore--Timothy's voice sounds so poignant and wistful.

You Are Not Alone and I Dreamed There Was No War are both lovely--they are just too short! Iwanted them to go on longer.

Frail Grasp is another favorite. Unlike Nancy, the more I listen to this, the more I like it. The driving beat is infectious and the rhyming cadence of some of the lyrics are hysterical: "You keep rubbing that you’re gonna get a blister” "All waiting for that miracle elixir" and “You brought her here, so go ahead and kiss her.”
    Not to mention the line everyone can identify with: “who left the cap off the freakin’ toothpaste?” I like the "soul-sucking" line in Business As Usual too--very clever.

It's Your World Now almost made me cry too!

I have played Somebody over & over as perfect mood music here on the eve of Halloween, with its references to tombstones & the Jack O'lantern moon.

And finally, I am waiting to write about the title track until I have listened to it enough time to feel comfortable commenting about it.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

YAY! It finally arrived Cute t-shirt too. It is sort of a light tan (almost cream) with the picture that is on the back of the CD plus the title. It's great.

Default cd arrival

aw lucky you, tbs fanatic! I'm still waiting for mine. Tennessee's mail is sooooo slow! Listening to all the websites has been great, but nothing like holding the cd in your hands.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Here's another review from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...les-main_N.htm

I particularly thought this part interesting:

Henley is eager to start recording solo after the holidays, and Frey plans to make a big-band album in the spring. The Eagles will convene early in 2008 for their annual band meeting to mull the future. Nobody's in a rush. It's not as if the Eagles are going out of style.

Hmmmm. Big band album?
    Excuse me while I kiss the sky (or skip the masquerade ). Now this might work. Can I offer some sage advice. You do something like this, you DEFINITELY drop the guitar (HA. Who am I kidding)?

I need an avatar called Stratocaster & Orchestra. I thought IDTWNW sounded a bit like Mr Knopfler. Tell us more, Glenn.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFan
    I've been listening quite a bit and now that I'm over the initial excitement... where is Joe on the harmonies? I am having trouble hearing him on anything but the songs on which he sings lead.
    JF, I thought I should reply to this. I haven't heard enough of it to know where he is either. He must do some harmonies but it might be hard to pick him out. He has never done as much as the other three.

I think I'm going to put this big band news in Glenn's forum. It's pretty cool!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm really bombed because I pre-ordered two albums - one from Walmart and the other from the band's official site, and neither of them came today. That is the first time I've ever had this happen with a pre-order. I guess one or both of them should be here tomorrow. In any event, I'm listening to the CD on my pc as I'm perusing the board, so all is not lost.

As far as Joe's harmonies, I usually always have a hard time picking out his voice in Eagles songs - so this album is no exception. I can't even distinguish his voice in Seven Bridges Road.

I'm waiting to comment on the songs until I listen to them a few more times, but suffice it to say, I think this is a very strong album from start to finish.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's true that Joe has not often been a large part of the harmonies in the past. I suppose that his distinctive voice is not easy to blend.

Interesting Halloween theme for the board, I like it.

The big band news sound really appealing to me - I can imagine Glenn doing this, and doing it extremely well.
    He has proved to be a great entertainer more than once, and this would show his versatility one more time.
    We'll have stars to wish on every single night
    We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I can't make the chat party so I'll say my bit here -

Love it, love it, love it. I like all the songs but, of course, have some favorites. In no particular order -

Busy Being Fabulous
    Waiting in the Weeds
    Somebody - really, really like that one
    I Don't Want To Hear Any More
    Last Good Time In Town

I'm hoping to listen more carefully today as yesterday my family could NOT STOP interrupting my listening time