Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eagles at CenturyLink Center, Bossier City, LA - 7/29/2015

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles at CenturyLink Center, Bossier City, LA - 7/29/2015

No problem, Brooke!

AG95, it's a joke he started using on these last two tour legs, I think. Definitely this last one.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

The review pretty much says it all. Don seemed relieved/happy the tour was ending. Once again, I left the show thinking how underrated Steuart is as a guitarist

Another review.

http://kkyr.com/the-eagles-live-in-c...ck=twitter_top

Yeah I’m calling it a “life experience.” Maybe not up to the importance of a marriage or death or birth, but it’s one concert out of Lord knows how many forgettable concerts. Only this is one that I will never forget.
    VK

Out on the Border

I attended the Bossier City show. Longtime fan, as the Eagles music was a big part of the soundtrack to my teenage years in the late 70s. But I had never seen the Eagles in concert before and thought this might literally be a last chance, so I made the 4 hour drive up from Baton Rouge to catch the show.

Man was I glad I did! This concert was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I was literally in the upper-most, nose-bleed row, but it didn't matter as the CenturyTel center is smallish so I could still see everything. It really was a "History" lesson, as GF and DH continuously bantered with us about the origins of the band and songs. And on a more local note, DH apparently grew up in northeast Texas, very close to Shreveport/Bossier, and made several references to family and friends living in the area, which of course went over really well.

As for the performances, IMO the Eagles were on top of their game. Everyone's voice sounded great, a concern of mine given this was the last show on a long tour. The energy level was high, the guys seemed to be glad to be here even though Bossier City is not exactly a high-profile destination.

Standouts included "Take it to the Limit", in which I thought Frey did a great job covering RM's vocals. Frey tipped his hat to Meisner before the song, mentioning that he couldn't be with the band to sing it because of illness and wishing him well. That was nice, given the acrimony that had apparently once existed between them about that. "Witchy Woman" was also another exceptional number. DH switched to the drums for this song and his playing gave this song a nice, thick undertone.

Perhaps my favorite performance was "New Kid in Town". This song has always scared and fascinated me. I remember hearing it as a 13-year old in 1977, and its haunting vocals and melancholy melody struck fear in my pubescent self. The idea of a new kid showing up on your block and taking away your girls or your status was a primal one for me and i still experience the song the same way as a 50-something. They hit all the right notes musically and vocally. I also was glad to hear "Those Shoes", a personal favorite of mine, even though it wasn't a huge hit.

I also loved the "Joe Walsh" sequence of Life in the Fast Lane, Funk #49, and In the City. Walsh added just the right amount of country-fried hard rock to the show, just as he added to the records when he joined back in the day. Frey and Henley were happy to let him take over and his antics and charisma were a big hit with the down-home north-Louisiana crowd.

These were just the highlights. The show was outstanding start to finish, there were no bad parts.

And for the encore, Hotel California was picture-perfect. I don't know who handled Don Felder's solo but they perfectly meshed with Walsh's part, you never would have guessed that Felder wasn't playing.

By this point it was 11 PM, and I had 255 miles of interstate between myself and home, so I had originally decided to leave after HC and skip the rest of the encore to beat the crowd out of the door, but the show was so good I stuck around for Take it Easy, Rocky Mountain Way, and Desperado. Didn't make it home to Baton Rouge until almost 5 AM, but it was worth it.

PS - here's a picture of me with a t-shirt before the show started. Was very lucky to get one. I wear a 2XL and the crush of people trying to buy shirts at the sold-out show was overwhelming inside the arena. I was wise to get mine at a booth outdoors that everyone ignored, LOL, because inside the 2XLs in all the shirts sold out quick.

http://

Wow, you seriously had nose-bleed seats!! I just can't enjoy a show from up there because I'm terrified of heights. I suppose if one band could make me forget that fear, it's the Eagles!

I'm so glad you had such a good time, and that the show was so good. Having been to a few of their shows myself, it's always enjoyable to read the responses of those who've seen it for the first time.

I find it completely amazing, but not surprising, that they've been able to string together two years' worth of shows and and deliver each one perfectly. That's amazing for a group of 20-year-olds. Even 40-year-old seasoned professionals.

Welcome to The Border, sjaros3!!
    VK

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Hey, nosebleed seats are better than not seeing the band! (Which I'll probably never will see them). Glad that you had a great time and that the show was well worth the trip! Cool shirt, and of course, Welcome to The Border!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the review, sjaros3. I agree with VA that it is so fun reading posts from new members of the board and real fans of the band rather than critics who do this for a living. Of course, as many of us here know, just because it's their job, doesn't necessarily compel these hired hands to get it right.

Anyway, welcome to The Border from me too. I'm so glad you loved the show and that seeing this incredible band was worth all of the effort you went through. On a personal note, I've made a few trips myself to see them.

And BTW, the guy that plays Felder's parts now is the amazingly talented, Steuart Smith from my home state, (Arlington) VA. Hope you enjoy it here on The Border.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Thumbs up Re: Eagles at CenturyLink Center, Bossier City, LA - 7/29/2015

[
    And BTW, the guy that plays Felder's parts now is the amazingly talented, Steuart Smith.

You are so correct about his talent

Out on the Border

Hi! I'm new to the boards. I went to the Bossier City concert and it was a great experience. I live more than two hours away in Southwest Arkansas. Bossier is actually closer to me than Little Rock. It was my third Eagles concert but first time with floor seats. It was an amazing show and the band showed a lot of energy for it to be the last stop on the tour. Lots of East Texans in the crowd because of the Henley connection.
    The highlights for me were hearing "Desperado Reprise" and "Train leaves here this morning" because I love that era. But all of the songs sounded great and the "history" lesson made it seem like an intimate show for such a large venue.
    Didn't get home until 3 a.m. but it was worth it.

Thank you, Queen of Hearts!! Welcome to The Border!! Love to hear your comments.
    VK