Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of fake 'Glenn Frey' on Facebook!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Beware of fake 'Glenn Frey' on Facebook!

I woke up this morning to a friend request from "Glenn Frey". The pictures on the account were the same was those on his official page. I accepted the friend request because I thought it was a hoax by someone I might know and thought it amusing to play along. Right after accepting it, I got a message that said:

Thank you for liking my page , Support you showered on me, I hope you never stop listening to my music…you look so beautiful .
    I sent you a request for a purpose, I have been busy with shows and many more, traveling, thank you all for the support and love, I appreciate. I'm looking for someone i can definitely trust cause i have got some few things I need to do and take care of without my management knowing about it so i need one of my loyal fan to handle this for me.
    When I asked who it really was and pressed for answers, "he" unfriended me and blocked me. Using a different account, I went in and reported the page to Facebook and it seems to be gone now. I worry, because if they ever reactivate the account, we'll be friends again, it won't ask me. So I'll have to keep checking.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Beware of fake 'Glenn Frey' on Facebook!

Yikes, that's scary! Hopefully, whoever did it was scared off by you asking questions and he/she won't try it again. I try ny darnedest to only accept friendship requests if I recognize the name. (I've had too many people from Russia(or somewhere like that) send me requests).
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I got that FB request too...lol...I was leery...so I didn't respond...now I'm glad I didn't...creepy...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

VA you have beaten me to it. I was out all day and was going to post a similar warning! Thanks

I got the same request. I friended this person. I didn't seriously think it was Glenn but I wondered perhaps was it his promotors revamping the After Hours site or something similar - or just an Eagles fan with a strange sense of humour. That would have accounted for them 'knowing' me.

However like VA I also got that message which immediately alerted me to caution. I was going to message back with some questions to verify his identity but I also thought that for someone as intelligent as Glenn and as good with the English language as he is it was a badly composed and shoddy message. I would say its a scam of some kind - probably a phishing attempt.
    As VA says anyway the profile seems to be gone off FB, but if anyone else gets a message like this I would advise extreme vigilance. And obviously NEVER give anyone personal or banking details online anywhere. Its definitely not 'Our' Glenn
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I did seriously consider playing along and seeing what 'he' wanted from a loyal fan, but I wasn't up to playing the game. I hate to think about those who might have actually given whatever information was requested.

Facebook did reply to me that they received my report and are 'reviewing' it. Since the account is gone, I'm not sure what, if anything, they'll turn up.
    VK

Having my own FB page and a Fan page for Randy, I've encountered a lot of strange people. They message weird stuff and I ignore all of it. I only accept people I know on my personal page and weed out the "strange ones on Randy's fansite.And I Never post personal or derogatory videos on my page or Randy's. It's settled down since I either report them to FB or I post a warning on my fan page. So much goes on behind the scenes of the internet I am seriously cautious. I guess it's a good rule of thumb not to trust anyone you do not know.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

I got the request too & immediately was suspicious. I looked at the "friends" on the page & saw VA & GA, but as there were few others I was still leery & didn't accept the request. Thanks, both of you, for the warnings & additional info.

Stuck on the Border

I didn't get it.

The good news is that Facebook took it seriously. Whoever started the account had inactivated it, but Facebook has pulled it completely pending 'verification'.

I really thought it would turn out to be someone I knew (or knew of), and was trying to figure out if I should remind whomever that Facebook frowns on accounts that pretend to be someone they're not. It never occurred to me that it would be a total fake, out to get something, and it should have. As you all say, one can't be too careful.
    VK

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I did seriously consider playing along and seeing what 'he' wanted from a loyal fan, but I wasn't up to playing the game. I hate to think about those who might have actually given whatever information was requested.
    My credit card was compromised earlier this year to the tune of about E5000 and ever since then I have been very cautious what information I give anyone. I have a feeling it happened via Paypal. I would say that that guy would have asked a 'loyal fan' to 'mind' or 'hide' money for him in turn for a percentage of it or a flat fee. Once you gave your account details to him he would have total access to your finances and would have helped himself to them. these phishing scams are generally Eastern European in origin and the way the English is written in this sounds exactly the way they speak - we have a lot of Eastern European immigrants here!
    I keep getting emails from a person purported to be African wanting to use my bank account to 'hold' funds for him while he makes his way to Ireland. Again I am not gullible enough to believe him!! But there was an African couple in the bank one day recently who had lost a lot of money through one of these emails which they followed. The bank just told them 'If it looks too good to be true it probably is!'

So I guess all I'm rambling on about to say is whether this Glenn Frey person shows up again or anybody else, I would be very very cautious what information I would give him.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP