Page 67 of 116 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1153

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

  1. #661
    Out on the Border
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    @chaim - do you have a link for that interview ? I've always wondered why DF didn't get any credit for OOTN considering it really wouldn't have sounded anything like it did without him...seems a bit more than just "arranging" to me, oh well I guess he was OK with it at the time.

    Since I last posted I watched the 2008 DF interview by Howard Stern on YouTube. Actually I was looking for the HC version he played there but it seems to have been pulled from YouTube and only found the audio in the end on...donfelderonline.com

    Anyway he made some comments there that didn't jive with what is in the book for some reason :
    - HS : Henley asked him to come up with a new intro to HC on the spot for HFO...vs...in the book it was Frey and he got a 24 hour notice
    - HS : His wedding to Susan had gone on for 8 years too many..vs..in the book it seems he only realized it was finished in late '99. That's personal stuff so I mention it in passing but I was also surprised that she served him with divorce papers after he told her it was over. Why would she do that?
    - HS : he last spoke to Joe Walsh in 2005 when he was deposed as part of the lawsuit, also gave him a hug...vs...in the book, in 2000 just after he found out he was fired and Walsh was dismissive when he called him.

    I guess that last one was more or less part of the "gag order" included in the settlement, but these differences, plus the Susan vs housekeeper (I think it was repeated during HS too) to dig up the tape for HC, do put a bit of a different perspective on what's written in the book, i.e. everything probably shouldn't be taken at face value and Henley's comments last year (poignant if it was real, suing us left and right) gain some traction.

    HS also mentioned Henley's comments (that I'd read at the time but forgotten) that Felder was "washed out" in the sense that he didn't contribute anything creative anymore, just showed up on time and played what he was expected to play. For sure none of his ideas was used for HFO and with his dissatisfaction with the business arrangement for HFO it's plausible that he was somewhat "dragging his feet" maybe not consciously. The bottom line is that there was "bad blood" and it just couldn't work out.

    In hindsight Felder should probably have had someone (his wife, a lawyer, a friend, etc...) tell him that the Eagles Ltd arrangement didn't make sense anymore in 1994 and that he should accept some kind of revamping to get things back on track and show his "team playing", easier said than done of course and when he realized it after being fired it was too late...Maybe Frey, Henley and Azoff didn't force the issue in 1994 because they were afraid that he'd prevent them from using the Eagles name (i.e. Eagles Ltd not licensing the use of the name/rights to the "new entities") but in 2001 after he was a "complete sideman" from 1994 to 2001 they probably felt that threat was gone.

  2. #662
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,886

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    I can't post a link, because I don't have an access to the Rock's Backpages website. I was able to go there via the local library's computer when I worked there one weekend. I copy-pasted all the interesting interviews to Word documents. You can find the interview in Rock's Bakpages (http://www.rocksbackpages.com/) among the Eagles articles. They are in chornological order, so that OOTN era interview with Felder is easy to find. I don't know if you can register there for free. I've never bothered to find out...

    Felder has contradicted himself on other issues too. I have mentioned the Victim Of Love example before. In his book he says that he called it Iron Lung, because the into riff reminded himself of his childhood illness. Later in an interview he said that somebody else, "probably Glenn", gave the song that nickname, and that Don would it offensive because of his childhood illness. He's a walking contradiction, like the guy in the Kris Kristofferson song.

  3. #663
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,609

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Good catches, webvan. I agree it's foolish to take everything Felder says as gospel when he even contradicts himself.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  4. #664
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    19,946

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BRD View Post
    I really enjoyed reading Felder's book, it gave you a lot of inside information about the band that you would have never known.
    Very interesting, but I have a totally opposite take on this. Let me preface this by saying that I did enjoy reading parts of Felder's book. But, one of my major complaints with the book is that it did not give us fans hardly any new information about the band; it simply gave us his spin on events that were already common knowledge, at least among hardcore fans. That is probably why my favorite parts of the book were about his life prior to becoming an Eagle. I suppose it was new information if you had never read previously published books and interviews though.

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  5. #665
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    19,946

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Welcome, Webvan, nice to have you on board!

    I didn't see the settlement as proving anything other than the Eagles needed it resolved before continuing with LROOE. I've had family members settle things without it going to court because continuing only benefits the lawyers on both sides, and it certainly didn't mean they were in the wrong. So, I get touchy when that logic is used!

    I don't see Don as someone who feels the need to justify a whole heck of a lot, so I lean towards the continuing legal action being true. I wondered if it was tied to the DVD in some way, but really, it's all just speculation designed to make our heads swim! Anyway, I have enough drama in my own life (the politics where I work just can't be described) I don't want to concentrate on someone else's drama as well...
    With regard to ongoing legal action between Felder and the band, I am also perplexed. Like VA, my guess is that it has something to do with publications that were released after the lawsuit was settled. Given that Felder was not an equal partner in Eagles, LTD. at the time of his firing, I can't imagine what other legal issues could have transpired since the original lawsuit was settled out of court. Maybe, we will learn more after everything is resolved (again).

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  6. #666
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    30 miles East of Memphis, Tennessee
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    With regard to ongoing legal action between Felder and the band, I am also perplexed. Like VA, my guess is that it has something to do with publications that were released after the lawsuit was settled. Given that Felder was not an equal partner in Eagles, LTD. at the time of his firing, I can't imagine what other legal issues could have transpired since the original lawsuit was settled out of court. Maybe, we will learn more after everything is resolved (again).
    Felder felt that he was an equal partner who was getting the shaft, hence the lawsuit and the subsequent settlement. You know Frey & Henley's personalities, Dreamer. I believe that they would have NEVER settled if they could have won. Their pride and love for money would not have allowed them to.

  7. #667
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,609

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    I don't presume to know their personalities. We all create our own narratives about what we think they're like based on our own observations and experiences; that's natural. However, I believe it's a mistake to be absolutely positive you know people's personalities when, in most cases, you've never even met them.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  8. #668
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    19,946

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by randymeisnerrocks View Post
    Felder felt that he was an equal partner who was getting the shaft, hence the lawsuit and the subsequent settlement. You know Frey & Henley's personalities, Dreamer. I believe that they would have NEVER settled if they could have won. Their pride and love for money would not have allowed them to.
    And maybe exactly the same thing could be said for Felder. But, I doubt that Felder is uninformed enough to know if he was an equal partner. He knew he was not, he just didn't like it. That is why he wanted the court to ignore the contracts from 1994 and later, and go back to the original contract he had with the band in the 70's when he was an equal partner. In any event, the past lawsuit has already been rehashed in this thread ad nauseam - I was commenting on the present ongoing litigation. If more information about it becomes available, it probably deserves it's own thread because it isn't really related to the book.

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  9. #669
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,609

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Hmm. I see your point about making a new thread for that, dreamer. I'll do so if we hear more about than this one reference from Don Henley.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  10. #670
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    30 miles East of Memphis, Tennessee
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I don't presume to know their personalities. We all create our own narratives about what we think they're like based on our own observations and experiences; that's natural. However, I believe it's a mistake to be absolutely positive you know people's personalities when, in most cases, you've never even met them.
    I'm stating AN OPINION based on their prior statements and prior behavior, which is my right.

    The real mistake is the one you & the mods are making by trying to run roughshod over posters that espouse a different point of view. It's not good manners or good business.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •