Page 104 of 116 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1153

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Wow. The emotional heartwarming feeling is NOT what he said in his book, lol, where he talked about certain members mics and guitars not being plugged in and the fact that a couple of them were treated not-so-nice backstage.

I love Felder, and feel he got a raw deal but I have to say, he is quite a revisionist. I have to say though it seems not just related to band stuff. He's been interviewed about the gear he used on HC, and he gives different answers to different interviewers. The 59 Les Paul and Tweed Deluxe is the only thing he answers consistently. He's said a Martin was used for the intro, then a Takamine another time. Then one time he said he used a chorus and delay pedal on it, and an other time he said "no effects".

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Wow. The emotional heartwarming feeling is NOT what he said in his book, lol, where he talked about certain members mics and guitars not being plugged in and the fact that a couple of them were treated not-so-nice backstage.

I love Felder, and feel he got a raw deal but I have to say, he is quite a revisionist. I have to say though it seems not just related to band stuff. He's been interviewed about the gear he used on HC, and he gives different answers to different interviewers. The 59 Les Paul and Tweed Deluxe is the only thing he answers consistently. He's said a Martin was used for the intro, then a Takamine another time. Then one time he said he used a chorus and delay pedal on it, and an other time he said "no effects".
    While I definitely agree that he says what he thinks his listeners want to hear, I do wonder about the gear. I mean, there's gear he used to come up with the chord progression, there's the gear used to record, there's the gear used on tour. Then there's what he used for HFO and that recording. Then there's what he may have used for the RRHOF show, and there's what he uses now. To be honest, they were all so freaking high when recording, would he really remember?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    While I definitely agree that he says what he thinks his listeners want to hear, I do wonder about the gear. I mean, there's gear he used to come up with the chord progression, there's the gear used to record, there's the gear used on tour. Then there's what he used for HFO and that recording. Then there's what he may have used for the RRHOF show, and there's what he uses now. To be honest, they were all so freaking high when recording, would he really remember?
    True. He was being asked though about what he used on record (I should have specified) and while the electric guitar and amp never changes, he goes back and forth between Martin and Takamine as the 12 string used, and no effects and effects on the record.

I think your last sentence describes that pretty well lol.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Well, I just got done reading the book a little while ago. I'll try to read it 1 or 2 more times before I have to check it back in to the library.
    I really did enjoy reading about Don Felder's upbringing. It's cool, at least to me, to read about his roots ( Plus, I live a few hours from Gainesville and that area of Florida, so when he describes some things, I completely understand what he means). I also loved learning that he helped teach Tom Petty how to play guitar.

I don't want to talk much about the "hell" because it's already been talked about so much in this thread. I do agree that there's too much hell and too little heaven. My opinion about the guys hasn't changed (I didn't think that it would).

The book wasn't as bad of read as I thought it would be. I admit that there were a few times toward the end of the book when I got upset and I wanted to throw the book down, though lol.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

This is a (very) minor matter, but since we're talking about Felder's upbringing, isn't it unusual that he doesn't have a trace of a Southern accent? Tom Petty does, and he moved away from Gainesville decades ago. And I don't think Petty came from as rural - even backwoods - a background as Don F.

Maybe his Southern accent comes back if he's really angry or has had a few drinks

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    This is a (very) minor matter, but since we're talking about Felder's upbringing, isn't it unusual that he doesn't have a trace of a Southern accent? Tom Petty does, and he moved away from Gainesville decades ago. And I don't think Petty came from as rural - even backwoods - a background as Don F.

Maybe his Southern accent comes back if he's really angry or has had a few drinks
    I have friends and family in Florida and none of them have accents.

I have always felt reading this discussion and other posts about Don Felder that he is not given the praise he deserves. He proved on the albums he played on that he contributes quite a bit to the band, gives it a unique sound with his guitar playing. I don't believe in my opinion it's fair to say any one player is more important than another.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I have friends and family in Florida and none of them have accents.
    It depends on what part of Florida you're from - some parts aren't Southern (with a capital S) at all, but Gainesville is most definitely. And I think the Felder family had roots there IIRC, they weren't people who moved there after being established somewhere else, like Bernie's family.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

Well, Gainsville is not exactly what I think of when I think of the south. I've always considered Florida to be almost two different states, above Gainsville to be southern. Below Gainsville (ie Ocala and below), not so much. For example, If you take the scenic route from Dothan, Alabama to Panama City, Florida, Florida highway 77 vs. Innerstate 231, which is the main route, you really wouldn't think that you were in Florida. Until you get to Lynn Heaven (suburb of Panama City), it looks liie Georgia or Alabama. If you go below Gainesville (middle of Florida), you're either going to Orlando,Miami, Tampa, the keys or Daytona Beach. That's not southern and neither are most of the people.

Given that he now has no trace of a southern accent, I have to think that his wasn't strong to begin with. Not all southern people have a strong accent. My mom has lived all 54 years of her life in either Georgia or South Carolina, yet she only has a small trace of an accent. Meanwhile, I have a natural somewhat strong southern accent.
    -Kim-

I really don't consider Gainsville to be southern. The only really southern thing about it is that its home to the Florida Gators (booo!). (I actually wore a Georgia Bulldogs Football shirt to the Gainsville mall the day of the Bulldogs vs. Gators football game a few years back. I'm surprised that I didn't get beat up )

Gainsville is right on the borderline for my above splitting of Florida.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I have always felt reading this discussion and other posts about Don Felder that he is not given the praise he deserves. He proved on the albums he played on that he contributes quite a bit to the band, gives it a unique sound with his guitar playing. I don't believe in my opinion it's fair to say any one player is more important than another.
    I don't feel he gets the credit he deserves as a guitar player with a good ear for overall sound. He hasn't joined another band where he can stand out by playing ear-splitting guitar riffs, and apparently, those who make note of great guitarists are looking for that. He is very underrated, IMO, for the talent he has. To me, one of his most vocal critics on a few things, there is absolutely no disputing is talent, and when I see one of those stupid lists of great guitar players that don't have his name on it, or high enough to suit me, I reply or send an email.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.