Page 107 of 116 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1153

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

I understand WalshFan's point of view very well. But IMO Don has caused some of the criticism himself. He's been shouting from the rooftops that he's in it for the love of music while Glenn and the other Don are only in it for the money. When you have released two albums in 29 years and keep saying something like that, you will ask for some criticism.

Stuck on the Border

Going back to the book, I think there's a lot of evidence that Felder is about the music, the money and the adulation. He tried giving up the music and it made him miserable. His need to support his families, his childhood and a feeling of injustice have contributed to his interest in money. And who can doubt that he loves being seen as a rock star, the lead guitarist of the Eagles, the man who wrote Hotel California? None of this is bad. Nor is it that different to other Eagles members, past and present. It's only when he suggests he's more about the music than the others that I roll my eyes.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Going back to the book, I think there's a lot of evidence that Felder is about the music, the money and the adulation. He tried giving up the music and it made him miserable. His need to support his families, his childhood and a feeling of injustice have contributed to his interest in money. And who can doubt that he loves being seen as a rock star, the lead guitarist of the Eagles, the man who wrote Hotel California? None of this is bad. Nor is it that different to other Eagles members, past and present. It's only when he suggests he's more about the music than the others that I roll my eyes.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by chaim; 07-15-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Like UTW said, the money was always important to all of them, and it is what got him removed from the band. At any rate, what he meant was that the music was more important than the money, and again, 2 albums in 29 years doesn't really prove that out, however, he has been touring a lot lately, and that is music.

To me, for Felder, the most important thing isn't music or money, it's fame. He constantly takes most of the credit for things he didn't do the most of. He downplays others' contributions in order to build his up. IMO, when it came to the Eagles in the 1990's (and before) people thought of Henley and Frey as the leaders, the lead singers, the front men for the band. He wanted it to be Henley, Frey, and Felder, and making the money equal was the first step in achieving that. I say this because of all he's said and done since then, when you look back at events through that light, it kind of makes sense.

Unfortunately, for those that are fans of the Eagles, his constant taking credit for things he didn't do plus his constant denigration of the others has the opposite effect, and we tend to not give him credit for the things he did do. It's human nature, I guess.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Well WalshFan88, I took this statement as an insult to Joe. While Joe's up the front in the spotlight on stage, singing Rocky Mountain Way, Funk #49, Walk Away, Life's Been Good, In The City, Pretty Maids All In A Row, Ordinary Average Guy, Turn To Stone, Guilty Of The Crime and All Night Long, to name just his own songs, What was Felder doing?
    LOL. Well Funk 50, that was not the intention. I never said anything putting Joe down, I just simply put Felder on an even contribution to the band. I'm not talking about solo songs as a contribution to the band. I was referring to the claim about Felder's lack of solo albums. But band wise, I consider him on level playing field as JW, TBS, RM, and BL.

You can take it however you want, but that was not the intention. Certainly I of all people would be the last to bring Joe down. That said, I feel I have to praise Felder's talents and contributions as they seem to be vastly underrated, including by you.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Banned

In my opinion, all the positives that Felder brought to the Eagles have been undone by his actions after he was fired. So I'm not even including the stuff, he did, that got him fired.

I'll only except that Felder and Walsh have made an equal contribution to the Eagles after Joe has sued his band mates and published a book to damage their reputations.

I bought the e-book on pdf 2 days ago, and it was definitely worth it! Yeah, the "gods" chatter got old quickly.

I just signed on to this site, so I have only read the first 7 pages of this discussion, but remember Felder does mention that it was his friend Bernie who thinks he shouldn't be paid as an equal member. Felder mentions how Glenn in fact said, to the effect of "We've been there, we've all paid our dues"

Eagles did for Felder what Felder did for his wife. Partnership, and without one, the other career couldn't have been possible. And as the success went up, both parties wanted more... I heard Glenn say he wasn't doing the tour unless he was paid more (HFO). I'm split. At first it was Glenn who made the suggestion, the group's philosophy of "brothers" - and so there would be less selfishness. But Glenn and Don's contributions were much more than Felders, so I understand that point.

I was surprised Felder didn't omit how he begged them to come back, Irving and then Glenn. He gives his short-comings while also explaining why.

I know most people are Glenn fans, but always look from the other guys' point of view. Felder might think "I wrote some music for the songs that made us super-league, etc" - also it was also Bernie and Randy who had a bad falling out with Glenn.

Also, never forget how hard it is just to play an instrument, and to a great degree - Felder is a great guitarist, and it shouldn't be taken lightly, but yeah, he made enough money.

I guess it's best never to let the ego get into the way of truth.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Actually, I saw quite a bit of Felder's point of view until I read his book. I respect his talent to a great degree, but how he presented his case to the world left a lot to be desired, in my opinion. I lost a lot of respect for him over it. Glenn is my favorite, with Don a close second, but the Eagles are my favorite band, and I can only handle someone ripping on them but for so long. I'd say that not everyone has to like them because I do, but Felder has no problems playing their music when he performs live. So if he's such a fan of theirs, why does he keep bashing on them? At any rate, his narrative destroyed any sympathy I may have had for him, and he's done nothing in the interviews and such since then to win it back.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    .... Also, never forget how hard it is just to play an instrument, and to a great degree - Felder is a great guitarist, and it shouldn't be taken lightly...
    The more I've learned about the top musicians the more I've realised that what they do goes far beyond just playing an instrument. The relationship they have with their instrument and music in general is obsessional and then some.

I don't think any of the Eagles could stop, even if they wanted too. They've spent a lifetime on a musical journey and are lapping it up for as long as it lasts.

Felder quit the music business in the 80s. I presume it was a financial decision. He's still keen to rekindle a relationship with "The Gods".

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The more I've learned about the top musicians the more I've realised that what they do goes far beyond just playing an instrument. The relationship they have with their instrument and music in general is obsessional and then some.

I don't think any of the Eagles could stop, even if they wanted too. They've spent a lifetime on a musical journey and are lapping it up for as long as it lasts.

Felder quit the music business in the 80s. I presume it was a financial decision. He's still keen to rekindle a relationship with "The Gods".
    Unfortunately that will never happen Funk, too much has happened between them. IMO I think that when Glenn and Randy got into the reported "fight" backstage and Randy quit is a reason he wasn't asked back either. Sad but most likely true..

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............