Page 112 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1153

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

In the last few days, I came across a succinct review of the book:
    Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles by Don Felder
    My rating: 3 of 5 stars
    Well, this was really a fun read, and a nice accompaniment to the Eagles documentary currently making the rounds on cable. I wouldn’t even consider myself an Eagles fan, but I love to read stories about interesting, accomplished lives… and, let’s face it, “Hotel California” IS the American “Stairway to Heaven.” I will say this though… while Mr. Felder is an earnest narrator — and a first-rate and seemingly hard-working guitarist — he does seem to have quite a few First World problems. He effusively states how lucky he was to be a rock and roll god, and then complains about… well, just about everything. I like him as a narrator, and I enjoyed his story — but, you know, I have a funny feeling I wouldn’t want to be in a band with him. Even less so with Glenn Frey. As if.
    https://medium.com/@bvar/69-book-rev...26e#.d0u6va6j4

Hmmmm

Out on the Border

and then complains about… well, just about everything
    I didn't get that from reading the book.

Well I think Felder should have been Happy he was let go because the way he describes his relationship with Glenn and Don in his book why would he want to go back? He should have been static that he was not under their control.

Stuck on the Border

I need to read the book again in the light of Don Felder's statement after Glenn's death. I know the book was written at a time when Don was feeling hurt and bitter and I suppose that if he was writing it now, there would be more fond memories included and perhaps a different perspective. In a recent interview (Uncut, magazine only), Don said, "For the most part, playing in a band with Glenn for 27 years was delightful." He even praised Glenn's guitar playing! I'd like to know if he now has regrets about what he wrote in the book.

Here's the statement:
    Glenn’s passing was so unexpected and has left me with a very heavy heart filled with sorrow. He was so young and still full of amazing genius. He was an extremely talented songwriter, arranger, leader, singer, guitarist – you name it – and Glenn could do it and create “MAGIC” on the spot. His visions and insights into songs and lyrics have become legendary and will echo throughout time on this earth for decades to come.

Glenn was the one who invited me to join the Eagles in 1974, and it turned out to be a gift of a lifetime to have spent so many years working side by side with him. He was funny, strong and generous. At times, it felt like we were brothers and at other times, like brothers, we disagreed. Despite our struggles and difficult moments together, we managed to create some magical songs, recordings and live shows. His charisma on stage was felt and loved by millions of people all over the world. I have many wonderful memories of those years and the many miles I traveled with Glenn, filled with laughter, song, parties, hugs and brotherly bonds.

Glenn was the James Dean of the band. He was the leader that we all looked to for direction and by far the coolest guy in the band. It saddens me a great deal that we were never able to address the issues that came between us and talk them through. Sadly, now we will never get the chance. The planet has lost a great man and a wonderful musician today. None will ever be able to take his place. May you rest in peace Glenn Frey, and may God bless you and your lovely family.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-f...ckback=tsmclip

Stuck on the Border

If he has regrets about his book he has never expressed it as far as I know. On the contrary he still seems to think he's the one who should be apologized. There was the "forgive but NEVER forget" comment on Facebook not too long (probably a few weeks) before Glenn passed away. So it seems he has zero regrets. Plus he's perfectly fine with people bashing Glenn and Don H on his Facebook page.

If I remember correctly one adjective Don used about Glenn in some tribute or in a recent interview was "kind" - something very similar anyway. That word doesn't come to mind at any point when I see Don talk about Glenn in his book. His only recent comment I believe to be 100% genuine is "It saddens me a great deal that we were never able to address the issues that came between us and talk them through". But I guess "addressing the issues" would have meant Glenn apologizing to him.

(EDIT:

Someone said recently that Don's intention wasn't to badmouth Glenn and Don H in his book (and there was a quote from Don F that said this) - that he was just telling his story. You only have to look at the pictures he chose of Glenn and Don H to see how he wanted the reader to see them.)
    Last edited by chaim; 03-13-2016 at 01:42 AM.

I got a new Kindle and re-read the felder book.

Lets just say My opinion didn't get any better.

Love The Eagles but I don't think felder did himself any favors

That review is right. He complains about everything.

Out on the Border

I say, so what he complains. I think anyone who was an Eagle would not do justice to an autobiography by choosing to gloss over all the dysfunction and internal strife within the band. And also I think it's not fair to say 'oh, all rock bands are always in a state of internal combustion'.

I want the other Eagles to release autobiographies. Come on, what are you waiting for Henley? We all know you can write. You would make a pretty penny

he cheats on his wife, blames the rest of The Eagles then says the divorce is her fault because she made him feel lonely

Stuck on the Border

There's an awful lot of complaining IMO. Don Henley's "we broke up, we came back..." rap was bad (I'm sure it was intended to be dead serious), Glenn's sax playing was bad (I'm sure it was intended to be dead serious) etc. etc. And especially when Don writes about the "resumption" era everything was handled badly, even the mixing in concerts. He can't have been a source of huge positive energy in the band if he felt that negatively about EVERYTHING they were doing.