Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder
    DF: Unfortunately, it is primarily marketed at the Eagles audience – people who know me primarily through my success with the Eagles, obviously. And a lot of people read the book, and even though they derive a great deal of information about me, and enjoy a lot of the chapters about my early years, they’re really waiting to get to the salacious, juicy parts – all the dirt that was going on behind the Eagles story. So yeah, I think a lot of people focus on that, and obviously the press does. But as far as Rolling Stone, the Eagles, meaning Don Henley and [longtime band manager] Irving Azoff, have a great romance with Jann Wenner [Rolling Stone’s founder and publisher]. I knew going in to submitting my book for a review of that magazine, as well as in the Eagles cover article that came out the following month, that most likely it was going to be negatively reviewed and I’d be negatively portrayed in that article.
    Well, Don, when the book has the title "My Life In The Eagles" the people that buy the book are interested and are focused on the parts about The Eagles! That's what got their attention and what they're interested in hearing about. Why didn't you name it "The Life Of Don Felder" if you wanted to focus the attention on yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder
    And yet by the ‘70s, once I was in the Eagles, I was drugged into promiscuity and drugs and alcohol.
    And you never did any of these things before this time, ever? Hmmmmm...... He may not have checked his facts on that one!

At least I now somewhat understand his gripe about wanting to jam once in a while with the guys rather than play the songs night after night, note for note, exactly like the albums. He explained that really well. To him that was boring and left him a bit unsatisfied. "No creative spontaneity. No fun. All business."

Thanks for sharing that SS. Very interesting.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Well, Don, when the book has the title "My Life In The Eagles" the people that buy the book are interested and are focused on the parts about The Eagles! That's what got their attention and what they're interested in hearing about. Why didn't you name it "The Life Of Don Felder" if you wanted to focus the attention on yourself?
    Seriously! And once again, he acts like he was practically forced to participate in the orgies and drug parties going on. He says no one could resist unless he was a "saint" - however, didn't Bernie? But of course it was undoubtedly MUCH WORSE for Felder.

At least he said Frey and Henley weren't evil.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The Eagles DON'T have a 'great romance' with Jann Wenner. It's been the opposite for decades. They have had to prise any coverage from Mr Wenner out of him with the greatest difficulty.

He says he totally rearranged Hotel California and then gets upset when the credits were changed to read Henley/Frey/Felder (then of course puts in the dig that Glenn contributed nothing to the rearrangement). He really does seem to believe that he wrote the entire song. I find it extremely difficult to believe that Glenn contributed nothing to it, but that is Felder's entire rationale, that Glenn has no talent at all. The only person he talks about here is Henley, and he makes Henley sound like a humourless control freak, as opposed to Glenn, who apparently did nothing for the band's entire career.

The diatribes about 'greed and power' sound very hollow when Felder is the one 'asking questions' about money. And he forgets that after 1994 he was no longer an equal partner. Yet he refers to both of them as his 'partners'.

The only part I agree with is the band's lack of spontaneity but unfortunately it seems that it is too late to do anything about that now.

As for the album's songwriting credits, which he claims he hasn't seen (!) that makes me uneasy too, but again, what can be done about that? If they can't sit in the same room and write songs together, well, they can't. If Don prefers to write with Steuart Smith and Glenn prefers to still use Jack Tempchin or to write alone, that has to be accepted. There was a specific reason for using How Long, to get back to where they once belonged, so to speak. We could go on all day about the weaknesses of the album, and there are some, regarding distribution of talent (Felder no doubt would agree that Tim and Joe are underused).

The attempt to justify why he didn't attempt to continue making music doesn't wash.

But it's not a 'revenge' book. Of course it isn't. I could go on, but why bother?
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-28-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Oh, and by the way, I don't hear American radio, but I was under the impression that How Long was a huge radio hit. Anyway, he has to admit that the album was a 'phenomenon' despite what he thinks. The days of hearing a song on the radio and then buying the album are gone.

I could be nasty and say that at least Frey and Henley HAD solo careers, but you know....

That's what I love about Joe. Every time they tour he does his songs just a little differently.
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 07-09-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Some new interviews. This brief one is from The Globe and Mail.

In this interview with the Toronto Star, Felder says that there were MAJOR edits that took out the vast majority of dirt. He's never said this before.

So, according to the above, what Felder wrote about the Eagles was so potentially damaging that they sued to have major chunks removed... and he STILL doesn't get why they don't respond to his "reaching out."

How the hell can he assume Glenn and Don are unhappy? what a cocky bastard

Stuck on the Border

All the 'pumping gas at Mr Henley's station' and the stuff about 'Henley' wanted to release Hotel California as a single suggest that STILL, he does not understand how the band functioned.

I look at Don and Glenn and I don't see two unhappy men. Perhaps he should think of the fact that they were unhappy when they were with him. That is a huge call to make. He's the one who instead of attempting to be creative rants on and on and on about the two of them. They have moved on. He hasn't.

I find it very difficult to believe that all the 'dynamics of the band' stuff was taken out (unless Glenn was unhappy at being reduced to a walk-on part). Felder is making excuses for the book being a self-indulgent whine.