Page 20 of 116 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

I just sold the book, which I got for Christmas, on eBay.

It was a bit disapointing for me...I liked DF so far...only knowing him as a guitar player of course.

But his book is full of self-pity and blaming everyone else but himself for things he did and even for things he did not.

Even if I didn't like DH or GF before reading this book - after reading it both are really likeable.

Just found this interview on YouTube - forgive me if it's been posted before:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaY4nPMiGug&feature=related"]Night Talk Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXATXDU7bBs"]Night Talk Part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNhaksKPPHk&feature=related"]Night Talk Part 3[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

I was looking for an Eagles site, having been a long time fan (still am and loved the concert in LA with the Dixie Chicks last year!), found this site, and registered. Some good stuff here. I recently finished Don Felder's book and thought I would see what other folks thought, but what a surprise. Interestingly, what I found was what appeared to be a forum for apologists for each person's pet Eagle - other than Don Felder. It was one of the least objective discussions I've seen. Almost nothing from the book seemed to be taken seriously by anyone. Instead, it seems more of a matter of what can we find wrong in order to defend our favorite Eagle. Frey is mostly refered to as Glenn, and Henley is mostly referred to as Don, but Felder is always Felder. Wow. Gee, just perhaps, it could be that much of what Felder said is actually true, and that Frey and Henley were, and have been, very not-so-nice people and really out of line in their dealings with other band member; but I see very little discussion of that - mostly, "Well so and so could have done that, but that's OK if he did"; or, "I'm sure they never did that"; or, "Even if that happened the way he said, Felder's just a whiner." Wow folks, a text book of rationalization. We can still like the music a band produces without having to defend some its producers. There are a number of bands and musicians who I've loved over the years, and still do (including the Eagles), but I would never defend some of the kinds of things they have done or the way they have treated people - including each other. I wonder if Frey or Henley had written a similar book, and said similar things about Felder, if everyone would discount what they might say to such a degree. Guess I might have to look elsewhere for a more balanced discussion of the book and its tale of power and greed behind the music. RO

Quote Originally Posted by RoryO View Post
    I was looking for an Eagles site, having been a long time fan (still am and loved the concert in LA with the Dixie Chicks last year!), found this site, and registered. Some good stuff here. I recently finished Don Felder's book and thought I would see what other folks thought, but what a surprise. Interestingly, what I found was what appeared to be a forum for apologists for each person's pet Eagle - other than Don Felder. It was one of the least objective discussions I've seen. Almost nothing from the book seemed to be taken seriously by anyone. Instead, it seems more of a matter of what can we find wrong in order to defend our favorite Eagle. Frey is mostly refered to as Glenn, and Henley is mostly referred to as Don, but Felder is always Felder. Wow. Gee, just perhaps, it could be that much of what Felder said is actually true, and that Frey and Henley were, and have been, very not-so-nice people and really out of line in their dealings with other band member; but I see very little discussion of that - mostly, "Well so and so could have done that, but that's OK if he did"; or, "I'm sure they never did that"; or, "Even if that happened the way he said, Felder's just a whiner." Wow folks, a text book of rationalization. We can still like the music a band produces without having to defend some its producers. There are a number of bands and musicians who I've loved over the years, and still do (including the Eagles), but I would never defend some of the kinds of things they have done or the way they have treated people - including each other. I wonder if Frey or Henley had written a similar book, and said similar things about Felder, if everyone would discount what they might say to such a degree. Guess I might have to look elsewhere for a more balanced discussion of the book and its tale of power and greed behind the music. RO
    Um EXCUSE ME, BUT on here we all have different opinions. That doesn't mean our favorite Eagle is our pet just because we choose to defend him.

I was looking for an Eagles site, having been a long time fan (still am and loved the concert in LA with the Dixie Chicks last year!), found this site, and registered. Some good stuff here.
    Thanks.

Frey is mostly refered to as Glenn, and Henley is mostly referred to as Don, but Felder is always Felder.
    When there are two "Don"s in the band, it's easier to use the last name of one of them. I'm not sure if it's productive to read a great deal into that.

Wow. Gee, just perhaps, it could be that much of what Felder said is actually true, and that Frey and Henley were, and have been, very not-so-nice people and really out of line in their dealings with other band member; but I see very little discussion of that - mostly, "Well so and so could have done that, but that's OK if he did"; or, "I'm sure they never did that"; or, "Even if that happened the way he said, Felder's just a whiner." Wow folks, a text book of rationalization. We can still like the music a band produces without having to defend some its producers. There are a number of bands and musicians who I've loved over the years, and still do (including the Eagles), but I would never defend some of the kinds of things they have done or the way they have treated people - including each other. I wonder if Frey or Henley had written a similar book, and said similar things about Felder, if everyone would discount what they might say to such a degree. Guess I might have to look elsewhere for a more balanced discussion of the book and its tale of power and greed behind the music. RO
    It is true that your opinion of Felder is not shared by the majority, RO. If you are looking for a forum where everyone thinks like you do, I guess this isn't the place. This forum is best for people who are a bit more tolerant of different opinions, and don't condemn those who disagree with them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Geez--Excuse me!! Way to put me in my place!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

Interestingly, what I found was what appeared to be a forum for apologists for each person's pet Eagle - other than Don Felder. It was one of the least objective discussions I've seen. Almost nothing from the book seemed to be taken seriously by anyone.
    My father once told me that those who can't work the system to either "work it" or "change it" will ultimately be destroyed by it. My 52 years have shown me he is right. Don Felder's book is living proof of it.

Don Felder is an illustration of what happens when business and the arts collide. It is a sad commentary on what has happened to so many groups that include the Cream, The Beatles and many others. Many of the forum members presented thought provoking views of Don Felder and his departure from the Eagles. No matter what your beliefs are on objectivity or its lack thereof, you can not change the fact that Don Felder is no longer an Eagle.

It is unfortunate what happened to Mr. Felder. It is somewhat tragic. But today's facts are difficult to challenge: Don Felder is no longer an Eagle, and the Eagles are just as good (if not better) as they have ever been. Don Felder is fulfilling his destiny which includes being an ex-Eagle.

Although I believe Don F's book only scratches the surface of what went on, one thing I got from the book was that he was totally rejected by his former band mmembers. No apologies here or there.

Border Desperado

Exclamation Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Frey is mostly refered to as Glenn, and Henley is mostly referred to as Don, but Felder is always Felder. Wow. Gee, just perhaps, it could be that much of what Felder said is actually true, and that Frey and Henley were, and have been, very not-so-nice people and really out of line in their dealings with other band member; but I see very little discussion of that - mostly, "Well so and so could have done that, but that's OK if he did"; or, "I'm sure they never did that"; or, "Even if that happened the way he said, Felder's just a whiner." Wow folks, a text book of rationalization. We can still like the music a band produces without having to defend some its producers. There are a number of bands and musicians who I've loved over the years, and still do (including the Eagles), but I would never defend some of the kinds of things they have done or the way they have treated people - including each other. I wonder if Frey or Henley had written a similar book, and said similar things about Felder, if everyone would discount what they might say to such a degree. Guess I might have to look elsewhere for a more balanced discussion of the book and its tale of power and greed behind the music. RO
    To address the second point you raise, I always try to view arguments the way Thomas Aquinas would. Somewhere between the two views one finds the truth. My reality here is that while it makes for interesting conversation, in the end I really don't care past the point of curiosity. I don't care about Don Henley's favorite cause nor Frey's nor Schmit's nor Walsh's nor Felder's. I have my own. I just really like the music. People are the product of what they live through. I guess treating each other badly led this group to produce some great music.

When I saw the Eagles in Philadelphia on November 25, 2008, they were enjoying themselves and each other. They are definitely the best they have ever been.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I recently finished Don Felder's book and thought I would see what other folks thought, but what a surprise. Interestingly, what I found was what appeared to be a forum for apologists for each person's pet Eagle - other than Don Felder. It was one of the least objective discussions I've seen. Almost nothing from the book seemed to be taken seriously by anyone.
    RO - If you are interested in "a text book of rationalization", maybe you should go back and read this thread a bit more carefully. There is quite a bit of serious discussion about Felder's book whether you agree with it or not.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    RO - If you are interested in "a text book of rationalization", maybe you should go back and read this thread a bit more carefully. There is quite a bit of serious discussion about Felder's book whether you agree with it or not.

MikeA