Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Honestly guys, I didn't get the same impression from the Eliot book. When I first read To the Limit, I was a new fan and was just trying to learn more about the band. I wasn't a hardcore Glenn fan at that point; I was only a casual Eagles fan. When I finished the book, I didn't come away saying "Wow, that guy Glenn Frey was sure lame!" Yeah, Don Henley got more ink, but that's hardly surprising since he semi-cooperated with the author. I don't think Glenn came across badly in the Eliot book. JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Soda, thanks for the Induction links! I dunno... Felder looked pretty freaking happy to be there IMO... and Randy looked beyond happy... so I dunno...

I understand the Felder was obviously going to be biased, being his book and all... but the fact that he portays himself so saintlike and victimized is what takes away from it's crediablity.

I also wish there were more "hevenly" times told. I mean, they must have gotten along at SOME point, 'eh?

The more I thought about this... I think it's like this... when you have a group of people, some people take EVERYTHING so freaking personally, while others in the same group never give it a second thought. So, while Felder was so busy being pissed at "the gods"... "the gods" probably never/rarely even noticed, because to them, nothing was a big deal.

Felder seemed like it was a burden to be in the band pretty much from the start... so I don't understand why he is SO upset over the firing. Shouldn't it have been more of a relief? I mean, it's not like he ever has to work another day in his life... so it's no like he's wondering where his next meal is going to come from. Also, I find it REALLY hard to believe that when he called Glenn that last time that he called him Roach. I mean, really... these are grown men, and in that circumstance... I think that was just written for effect. Also, I think he called himself Fingers every chance he got for effect too... so show that he indeed was THE lead guitarist. KWIM?

Also, since Don and Glenn countersued him because of the book... I wonder if some juicy stuff was left out due to legal reasons.

Oh yeah, I forgot one other book title that he could have used, "Left Handed Complements to Don Henley". Did you notice how he puts Henley on a pedistal for his lyrical talents, but knocks him down in the same sentence for being "a god"?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm loving everyone's comments and agree with most all!

I have to say I'd never heard of Felder being called Fingers until I read this book. Had anyone else? And yeah, he referred to himself by that most of the time!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

LTL, I think another purpose of his left-handed compliments to Don Henley was to take jabs at Glenn. For instance, the whole, "if we're paid by importance, then Don should receive lots more than Glenn" line.

I wouldn't be surprised if Felder used the term "Roach" in that last phone call simply as an attempt to emotionally manipulate Glenn. I think he used the old nickname to remind Glenn how long he'd been in the band, how far they went back - ie, "We've been in a band together since the days you bummed joints off everybody and were called 'Roach.' You can't just toss me aside when we have all that history."

Obviously, it didn't work.

Stuck on the Border

But it didn't come off the way he wanted. It comes across as pathetic.

I knew his nickname was Fingers but I didn't expect it to be used so often.

The 'left handed compliments to Henley' bit is interesting. And I think that 'the gods' took note of every complaint, everything Felder did.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Eliot. It isn't so much that Glenn is 'lame' in that book as that he's ignored. His voice and musicianship is ignored as they are by Felder. Eliot says after OOTN that Glenn stopped leading the band because 'maybe he wasn't strong enough to hold on to the reins of power', which is ridiculous. Don started singing more songs, but the band remained Glenn's. There are jibes about Glenn's 'long face' that put off a woman who subsequently dated Don, who is portrayed as the 'great lover'. There are jibes about the suit on the cover of NFA which makes him look 'foolish'. That's just some of it. But as I've said before, Eliot's version of Wrong Night is far more balanced, and by the time the reunion occurs he even has Don quoted as saying he was happy to let Glenn take charge. It is preferable to Felder's book in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Eliot. It isn't so much that Glenn is 'lame' in that book as that he's ignored. His voice and musicianship is ignored as they are by Felder. Eliot says after OOTN that Glenn stopped leading the band because 'maybe he wasn't strong enough to hold on to the reins of power', which is ridiculous. Don started singing more songs, but the band remained Glenn's. There are jibes about Glenn's 'long face' that put off a woman who subsequently dated Don, who is portrayed as the 'great lover'. There are jibes about the suit on the cover of NFA which makes him look 'foolish'. That's just some of it. But as I've said before, Eliot's version of Wrong Night is far more balanced, and by the time the reunion occurs he even has Don quoted as saying he was happy to let Glenn take charge. It is preferable to Felder's book in that way.
    FP, I haven't read Felder's book (and as I stated in another thread, am not in any great hurry to read it either ), but I've quoted you here because I've read Eliot's book. I was annoyed at the scant attention Glenn's contributions to the band received - Don's (and I'm not taking a stab at Don here) contributions were written about in the finest detail, while Glenn's was given a summarised treatment. The two lines I've highlighted were a sore point with me, especially the first one. I cringed when I read the part where the woman Glenn dated referred to him looking like a "witch", with his "long face", "heavy" nose and long hair with the middle path. Did we really need to know about that? I admit that I far prefer Glenn's look later in his life, but I certainly would not liken his look to that of a witch. Ugh.

As for Glenn looking "foolish" in a suit... I rest my case.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I got this in a google alert today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...as_landed.html

I wonder why the guys haven't opened up any lines of communication with him?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I purchased H&H yesterday and just finished it. I agree with most everyone's comments as well. Yes, he did give left-handed complements to Don in his attempt to knock Glenn, but mostly all DF was trying to do was portray himself as a "poor little trod-upon millionaire rock star who got even more upset when he was fired and his wife finally got a life." As you have pointed out, if he didn't like the deal he was handed, he shouldn't have signed the papers, and it was unbelievable when he called Joe & Timothy and gave them that "I was doing this for you too" line, in a lame attempt to gain their support.

However, I did get a kick out of a few of the little details he threw in, such as the "Eagles Greatest Tits" video.

lol Brooke! Yeah, I sure wonder why!

DonFan - like you, I did chuckle at a few things he tossed in there. The book wasn't all bad!

Got this in a Google alert:

Eagle Don Felder Has Landed