Page 5 of 116 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Yeah, nothing too surprising about it, except maybe the level of animosity towards Glenn. I knew they didn't like each other, but I didn't expect Felder to portray him as a sadist!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You can hear a tiny snippet of the upcoming interview here:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/multimedia/18942314.html

Just one more retelling of how HC came about.

Felder's hitting the promotional trail hard. Yet another interview:

"Ex-Eagle Felder Recalls Flight and Fight"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain News
    Did you have any ethical qualms about breaking confidences about what people did 30 years ago?

I tried to be as honest and truthful not only about myself but about everyone who was there. It's me, with all my ugliness, my warts, everything. I didn't try to paint them in some ugly and bitter way and make myself out to be the shining star. That's just crap.

Any regrets?

I miss them . . . there were a lot of good times I shared with those people. My ex-wife, we're the best of friends. I wish I could arrive at that place with the Eagles.
    I'm sorry, but if he seriously claims he didn't try to paint 'them' (the Gods) in an 'ugly and bitter way' and make himself out to be the 'shining star' I'm afraid he failed. And as for 'missing them'...

Also, yes, Hotel California was a single. Yes, it went to Number One. However it was the SECOND single from the album. The first single from the album was New Kid In Town, which also went to Number One, something which Felder cannot bring himself to admit..

'I wrote Hotel California'. That's all he's got. It's sad. When he talks about 'writing for that album' he makes it sound as if he wrote everything. He didn't.

I was in Barnes & Noble Saturday and I saw Felder's book--they had it on sale--my friend asked me if I was going to buy it; I quickly told her no. I don't want to read a book that all the author does is whine & cry and shoot arrows at people; even if they don't like each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder
    "When Hotel California was done I remember sitting in L.A. and listening to the record and Henley said, 'That's going to be our single.' I said, 'You gotta be kidding me.' AM radio in the '70s, you had to be 2 minutes and 45 seconds. You couldn't be over 3 minutes. That track was 6 minutes long, it was slow, it stopped in the middle, you couldn't dance to it. I said, 'That's not the right song. It's definitely an album cut.' He said, 'No, it's going to be the single.' The record company just went along with what we chose. There'd been a big train wreck prior to that on the song Best of My Love. They'd put it out and the record company had edited the single to get it down to that two minutes 45 second length without approving the edit with the band. We heard it on the radio in some rent-a-car we were driving in the Midwest and went 'What the heck happened?' Henley went through the roof. Irving (Azoff, the band's manager) or someone had this gold record mocked up with Best of My Love on it and a hacksaw inside the glass. They sent it over to Joe Smith at Elektra Records and had it epoxy-ed to the wall in the hallway so they couldn't take it down. It was our way of saying, 'Don't do that again.'"
    This cracked me up. I appreciate Irving's twisted sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by samo
    I was in Barnes & Noble Saturday and I saw Felder's book--they had it on sale--my friend asked me if I was going to buy it; I quickly told her no. I don't want to read a book that all the author does is whine & cry and shoot arrows at people; even if they don't like each other.
    LOL, Samo! Your post reminds me of certain song lyrics that go as follows:

All that whining and crying and pitching a fit
    Get over it!
    Get over it!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Quote: "When Hotel California was done I remember sitting in L.A. and listening to the record and Henley said, 'That's going to be our single.' I said, 'You gotta be kidding me.' AM radio in the '70s, you had to be 2 minutes and 45 seconds. You couldn't be over 3 minutes. That track was 6 minutes long, it was slow, it stopped in the middle, you couldn't dance to it. I said, 'That's not the right song. It's definitely an album cut.' He said, 'No, it's going to be the single.' The record company just went along with what we chose. There'd been a big train wreck prior to that on the song Best of My Love. They'd put it out and the record company had edited the single to get it down to that two minutes 45 second length without approving the edit with the band. We heard it on the radio in some rent-a-car we were driving in the Midwest and went 'What the heck happened?' Henley went through the roof. Irving (Azoff, the band's manager) or someone had this gold record mocked up with Best of My Love on it and a hacksaw inside the glass. They sent it over to Joe Smith at Elektra Records and had it epoxy-ed to the wall in the hallway so they couldn't take it down. It was our way of saying, 'Don't do that again.' "

This cracked me up. I appreciate Irving's twisted sense of humor!
    That is funny, DF! I can understand how the Eagles felt about having their record tampered with, though!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

MF you are so right! I did not even think of "Get Over It".

A short video interview with Felder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3TRCgTlVQ