Page 51 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Yes, I agree Tk and WF. I, too, miss Felder, but it's water under the bridge and life goes on. And I'm so glad they are continuing on today. The Eagles and Felder. I also wish him more success.

Tk, I didn't know that about Badfinger. Must go read about it. I loved some of their songs back in the day.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I agree. That book came out five years ago. Now, Felder is ready to release a new album and even he probably doesn't want to keep talking about this. Best of luck to him.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I see that this got way off track before..someone asked how it veered off like that, well I just happened to mention, was I the only one didn't know about the 3E parties! See where our minds go

Yes, it has been five years but some, even a few on his Facebook page have only just discovered his book too..so it's still kind of new to us, even though it's old..well, you know what I mean.

Was commenting on some parts of it to my son and he said, all rock n roll bands did that, they were all the same..and I said yes, the lifestyle was the same but the music and genius was different. He also said they were all a$$holes, and I said some of them were but they made great music and their egos got in the way.

The stories about Joe in full swing absolutely cracked me up, a chainsaw for Pete's sake!! I'm amazed any of them made it out of there, I was breathless just reading what they got up to!
    I See what You see...

QUOTE; BramwenR "The stories about Joe in full swing absolutely cracked me up, a chainsaw for Pete's sake!! I'm amazed any of them made it out of there, I was breathless just reading what they got up to!"

Joe said in a recent interview that in the early 70's or maybe it was even the late 60's his band "The James Gang" opened for The WHO & he became friends with Keith Moon. Yeah, I could see those 2 getting into a whole lotta trouble!
    Moon was the ultimate Hell Raiser & I bet he & Joe had some fun!

Anybody in the company of Keith Moon I am sure would have a problem being conformist!!
    I See what You see...

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Ohhh kay...finished the book this evening...how do I put this??

I tried to read the whole thing objectively. I haven't read Eliot's book but I have skimmed it, and I wasn't too pleased. Then I found out some of the "fact-checking" for Don's book came from that one...which will be next on my Eagles reading list (but seriously...how the heck old was Randy when he had his first son, 15 or 17??!!??)

I tried not to read many of the other posts...I tried not to even read the Amazon reviews...but I caved...still trying to be objective...I just can't help but analyze the writing style, he and his co-author seem so...choppy...several typos/mistakes (the 60s were not the Me Generation, were they??)...seems like Don't writing/tone progressed from "high school Senior term paper for Honors English" to quite angrily articulate by the end...

I did enjoy the chapters about his upbringing. I grew up in a single-wide trailer beside my grandparents' house, virtually dirt poor for a time--I empathize with Don there. I enjoyed the parts about learning guitar and starting his early bands. I liked the human part of Don...the father that wished he was at home more and I'm sorry his marriage had to suffer and finally break down.

But what of "The Gods"?? I know the Boys were no angels (especially Glenn), but then, neither was Don F. He likens himself to a battered wife, and maybe that was the case. I do not choose to pick sides in this "battle" though...if anything (even as much as I like Glenn), I might probably be on "Team Meisner"!!

I kept reminding myself "this is just one side, one story"...and I await Glenn and Don's respective memoirs. Funny thing, a lot of you may not know my other favorite band/fandom is KISS (strange, eh?). I could go on for hours about how I see parallels between the two bands (how Randy/Bernie were treated vs. Eric Carr...Don going through a lawyer vs. Ace/Peter doing the same...two band members coming to the forefront...etc etc...)

Speaking of KISS...when Gene & Paul were in the predecessor band Wicked Lester, they recorded a song that speaks to me right now..."what happens in the darkness/will surely reach the light of day". So, I'm waiting...I get the feeling Glenn & Henley will be competing to see who gets their "book" out first...Joe might produce a roller-coaster of a memoir...I wonder if Bernie has much to say about any of it all. I wish Randy could speak for himself, I get the sad feeling that that ain't happening...

...just my $0.02...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Sadler View Post
    Ohhh kay...finished the book this evening...how do I put this??

I tried to read the whole thing objectively. I haven't read Eliot's book but I have skimmed it, and I wasn't too pleased. Then I found out some of the "fact-checking" for Don's book came from that one...which will be next on my Eagles reading list (but seriously...how the heck old was Randy when he had his first son, 15 or 17??!!??)

I tried not to read many of the other posts...I tried not to even read the Amazon reviews...but I caved...still trying to be objective...I just can't help but analyze the writing style, he and his co-author seem so...choppy...several typos/mistakes (the 60s were not the Me Generation, were they??)...seems like Don't writing/tone progressed from "high school Senior term paper for Honors English" to quite angrily articulate by the end...

I did enjoy the chapters about his upbringing. I grew up in a single-wide trailer beside my grandparents' house, virtually dirt poor for a time--I empathize with Don there. I enjoyed the parts about learning guitar and starting his early bands. I liked the human part of Don...the father that wished he was at home more and I'm sorry his marriage had to suffer and finally break down.

But what of "The Gods"?? I know the Boys were no angels (especially Glenn), but then, neither was Don F. He likens himself to a battered wife, and maybe that was the case. I do not choose to pick sides in this "battle" though...if anything (even as much as I like Glenn), I might probably be on "Team Meisner"!!

I kept reminding myself "this is just one side, one story"...and I await Glenn and Don's respective memoirs. Funny thing, a lot of you may not know my other favorite band/fandom is KISS (strange, eh?). I could go on for hours about how I see parallels between the two bands (how Randy/Bernie were treated vs. Eric Carr...Don going through a lawyer vs. Ace/Peter doing the same...two band members coming to the forefront...etc etc...)

Speaking of KISS...when Gene & Paul were in the predecessor band Wicked Lester, they recorded a song that speaks to me right now..."what happens in the darkness/will surely reach the light of day". So, I'm waiting...I get the feeling Glenn & Henley will be competing to see who gets their "book" out first...Joe might produce a roller-coaster of a memoir...I wonder if Bernie has much to say about any of it all. I wish Randy could speak for himself, I get the sad feeling that that ain't happening...

...just my $0.02...
    I don't know about that. I doubt that both Glenn & Don would write a book. It would start to look a bit over the top.

Glenn and Henley have both led fascinating lives, well-worth immortalizing in print. I surely hope they both choose to write memoirs. 50 years from now, when people look for memoirs by the Eagles, I hope this isn't the only one there is.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your $0.02, GS.

I really don't know that much about the band history of KI$$. If there are a lot of interesting comparisons between the bands, you may want to start a KI$$ thread in the Singing for the Sake of the Song forum to talk about them.

And as far as Don and Glenn writing books, they have both hinted about it in the past, but we'll have to see. However, if they both did decide to write their stories, I wouldn't think they would try to compete with one another. I agree with Soda, they both have their own stories to tell and I would love to hear them both.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Didn't we hear someplace that Glenn has started writing a book?? I could swear I heard this not that long ago....It will probably be a good long time until it comes out, but would be nice to hear he's started on it!!